Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

"Audiophile" fuses
04/11/14 at 20:55:12

Okay, I confess I've enjoyed not being on the forum for a while, and I'll probably be limiting my involvement for a while; my life needs my stepping back from the internet and reconfiguring what I can do while taking care of my parents, a very demanding "job."

I want to thank Mike (tgarden) for MANY things the last few years. He's sold me some great things at great prices and he's pointed out certain things that have really enriched my listening such as tubes for the ZP3, the excellent early bottle-shaped 5U4 rectifiers for Toriis, the use of five or six Iso-Cups under amps, the use of KT-66 in the Toriis, and MORE.

I want to talk about audiophile fuses which Mike introduced me to by selling me a few. That Mike found them to be a benefit made me consider using them. I bought a few Isoclean brand ones and put one in my Torii Mk III and one in the most used CSP2+ in my system. With a bit of burnin there's no disputing 9to my ears at least) that these improved the sound in the system. Dynamics and 'clarity' improved and there's a general robustness. After months, I've now tried a Furutech fuse in the amp (I have one for the CSP2+ as well and haven't yet installed it). I like it, a bit "bigger" sounding than the Isoclean but that works well with the KT-66. I put the Isoclean in the Torii Mk II in my Dad's system, and it's an improvement. Heftier sound.

A few years ago I would have ignored installing audiophile fuses or just have 'known" they were not really something important. But. . . I now think they are.

Mike is using another brand that he was experiencing as a prototype some time back. Maybe he'll shre his experiences. Anyone else using an audiophile fuse and want to share some experiences?

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Re: "Audiophile" fuses
Reply #1 - 04/11/14 at 21:43:20

Over the years I've tried a few tweaks that after close examination I honestly can't say really improved the sound.  These fuses fall in that category, but I've had very limited exposure.  For me in the application I was using them, the Hi-fi tuning fuses I bought did nothing.  They didn't even change the sound, let alone improve it.  YMMV.

They were highly touted by Maggie owners to use them on the speakers because "all the HF signals travel through this cheap wire".  Seemed like it should make it better, but I didn't hear it.  I left them on and they got sold along with the speakers.  I never did try them in any electronics.

If your application benefits from their use, go for it.  Buy more.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 04/11/14 at 23:30:20

Thanks for weighing in jsm. Not only is the change in sound noticeable, immediately, but the sound is different whatever direction the fuses are placed in. Surprised the heck out of me. I would probably buy two more in the near future, for my other CSP2+ and the ZP3.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 04/12/14 at 00:03:42

What I find with many tweeks, if anything, is that they may change the sound, but not necc improve it. After some time, another change is introduced by way of another tweek. Perceived improvement is what it is. Strange as it may sound, I change the sound every once in awhile. I am happy with change sometimes, and I leave it until the next change. In the end, it's about enjoyment, not measurement.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 04/12/14 at 01:10:27

I hear you.

Agree that this is a "change" and so far two different manufacturers examples sound a bit different-- but I find them definitely an "improvement" over the stock fuses, unquestionably on immediately hearing the change I have a positive reaction and it has continued for months to be a very pleasant change. So I call it an "improvement" and will seek to improve more components in such a manner.

« Last Edit: 04/12/14 at 01:57:38 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/12/14 at 02:08:00

I had been thinking of them for years. I had heard useful tuning differences from the metal used on power cord plugs (like F11 Furutech gold versus F11 Furutech copper), and with different power cord wire and size, so it seemed logical that fuses would matter...at the amp everything starts with them.

Then for me too, Mike selling some at a good value, I finally dug in. They most definitely changed the sound though I am still unsure as to the reason(s). The first fuse I got was a Furutech rated at 6.3 amps rather than the Torii MkIII's 5 amp fuse. I found it smoother, warmer and bigger, still with very good detail, but not bright and cool sounding like the stock fuse now sounded. I liked it  in most ways, but found the denser/bigger presentation a bit much. I had also gotten some HiFi tuning gold fuses from Mike to try. The HiFi Tuning gold 6.3 amp in the Torii was more open than the Furutech, but still a little big and dense to me. By then though, the benefits of the tuned fuses left the stock fuse sounding too hard and cool, so I kept the HiFi gold in.

I put a HiFi Tuning gold 3 amp in the CSP3, and this is was an immediate improvement in most ways without excess density. So I am wondering if a 5 amp Furutech or HiFi gold would sound better to me than the 6.3 amp fuses in the Torii.

Furthering the exploration, I decided to try a HiFi Tuning Supreme 5 amp. Somehow making it easier to pay 59 for a fuse, I tacked it onto an order from VHAudio for making a new pair of ICs.

This is my favorite so far. Great detail and smoothness, with warmth, but no dark density. I like it!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 04/12/14 at 02:52:27

Lots of people really like those Hi-Fi Tuning Supremes via reports online. I can see where the 5 amp may be the best for the Torii. Though that dark density seems to really match up well with the wide open airiness of the Tung-Sol KT-66 in use right now, I think I'll keep the Furutech in place in the main system.

Of course it's all about tube complement, cabling etc. as well. . .everything matters with these revealing components!

Thanks for weighing in will.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/12/14 at 16:08:02

Yes, I agree. I am thinking that working in the last few percent is really sort of huge in the overall experience, and this sort of fine tuning can really help!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 04/13/14 at 11:15:25

Yesteday afternoon I added the Furutech fuse to the CSP2+. Wow. More of a good thing. I will get two more for the other CSP2+ and the ZP3, and I will not go back, this is a great addition to the system. ZMA owners, look into this!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/18/14 at 23:34:52

Yes, the Furutechs do something really special. Sweet, relaxed and detailed. It is a very similar quality as their copper receptacle which I love. I just did a bunch of comparison with my 6.3 amp Furutech and the 5 amp HiFi Tuning Supreme in the MKIV. Going back and forth between the two as well as changing directions with each. I need to get a 5 amp Furutech and see if it makes any difference in the density. There are things I like about both, but I might give the Furutech the edge today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 04/19/14 at 00:52:40

Yes, they've settled down nicely. When fully broken in they don't seem as different form the Isoclean than they did at first, like you both sets that I have are a great choice. I have two more Furutechs on the way for the second CSP2+ and the ZP3, and the Isocleans are sounding very nice in my Dad's system. (Well, now that it is 100 percent my own components, I guess it's my system at my parents' place!) Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 05/05/14 at 14:47:58

I got the two additional fuses in and put them in the second SCP2+ in the main system (which I removed from the system and put in the second system replacing my first CSP2+ there--I have one on the shelf now). I also put one in the ZP3 which now runs straight into the Torii Mk III in the main system. GLORIOUS SOUND. The ZP3 may be the best non-amplifier that Steve builds.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/22/14 at 22:35:26

Synergistic Research Reds are surprisingly good, though even more expensive. They facilitate a very high resolution but very smoothly. More resolving than the others I have tried and with a very refined, not peaky top end. I really like them.

If you try a Red fuse, be aware that the writing area is not ceramic, but some teflon like material that can be torn putting them in and out of Decware fuse holders. After figuring this out with one damaged one, I taped two pieces of scotch tape together sticky to sticky, cut it to the right width, and then taped the loop together to protect it. Still returnable then....highend-electronics.com has a discount now and 30 days based on owning other hifi fuses, and the assurance we will like these better.

« Last Edit: 08/22/14 at 22:38:48 by will »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print