Send Topic Print
34I.3 Under Tweeks (Read 1557 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

34I.3 Under Tweeks
03/17/14 at 20:43:45

Recently, after having got my Rachel in, I set out for a few changes. I liked the mono volume controls very much, but decided to get a stepped attenuator for both channels. One of the things important to me was to have an exact idea where the settings for each was, at a glance. To do this, I found some indicator dials made by Ohmite. Couldn't have worked out better. I had to enlarge the center hole, so that the dials could fit over the controls, and I had to carefully drill and ream a hole in the aluminum chassis to mount these controls, but in the end, it was worth it. Also, since I was in the neighborhood, I decided also to add a selector switch. Quality was a key consideration, and I found what I was looking for. It is a Russian surplus Military switch, which is NOS. Very well made with silver contacts.  Lastly, for a time in the near future, I mounted DPDT silver contact switches to employ a 60Hz filter, if I am wanting to use this amp for a HT input. This switch will only control input #3 so as not to be in the circuit for inputs 1 and 2. As things move along, I will show the underside of the wiring,etc.
« Last Edit: 04/13/14 at 22:51:24 by 4krow »  

P3180006.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: 34I.3 Under Construction
Reply #1 - 03/17/14 at 23:30:41

You're a clever man! Good work, you're making it your own.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 03/17/14 at 23:38:59

Thank you Lon, and never done it seems. In this case, for whatever reason, the new attenuaters were not doing enough, so I added an 82k resistor in series, and 4.7k to ground for each channel. Now, it seems that I would be much better off with about 10k to ground, as this combination of resistors would yield a -25db attenuation to the signal before it gets to the stepped attennuators. This gives a more middle of the road adjustment on the controls. Right now, as is I am getting good sound at nearly full volume, but the idea is to be about at a 12 o'clock or so.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 03/19/14 at 23:00:31

New binding posts came in yesterday. Changed strictly for cosmetic preference. On the bottom side, I ended up not using the screw terminals, but instead, wired in a patch of Maple Shade speaker wire that handles solder nicely. The output wires from the transformer were a hair short for my intentions, but it still turned out well with this patch in between.

P3200008.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 04/01/14 at 17:26:53

'Construction Complete'  may be the new title here. I had to adjust the value of the filter for the 34.3 to work with a sub amp, but now have what I need at .22uf capacitance. You can see them at the selector switch that is in between the two attenuators.
 On the rear of the unit, inserted resistors of 300k to match the  SO(sub output). They are concealed in heatshrink and are wired from input 3 to SO.
I have replaced all input wire with a Kapton sleeved, shielded silver wire.
I have added damping sheets at certain points of the chassis, such as under the output transformers, and by the input tubes.
Speaker terminals were replace with red copper short post types. The wire was extended from the output transformers with Mapleshade speaker wire.
As mentioned earlier, the original volums controls were replaced by stepped attentuators sporting dale resistors.
I think that it is time to put things back together and be happy for a long time.
« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 17:27:54 by 4krow »  

P4010004.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 04/01/14 at 17:29:38

Since I have tried everything RATIONAL to post more than one foto, I will just do it post by post!

P4010003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 04/01/14 at 17:30:58

next
« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 17:32:08 by 4krow »  

P4010001.JPG

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 04/07/14 at 18:36:33

Nice clean looking work!

What resistors did Steve use on the input sockets? The ones that look like little blue pills I mean. I'm not familiar with them.

Also, see my guide for how to add photos.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1388257078

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 04/08/14 at 01:41:49

Actually, I looked at them but saw no makers mark. I have not seen them before either.
I do appreciate the help with photo trouble here. I did try your advice once, but frankly, I just don't know enough computer talk to get it done. In my world, things have to be straightforward and nothing is assumed. I mean I would have just have a button to push once, not a string of things to get something to work.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: 34I.3 Tweek
Reply #9 - 04/13/14 at 22:30:31

It's never really over for me. I am trying a tweek to the Rachel. Not because it needs it mind you, but i always wan t to know 'what if'. In this round, I am using 'Mad Scientist' 'Black Discus' Don't ask me what these are, 'cuz the MS won't divulge their product. Instead, you can only ask what it is they do. I have NOT fully tested them, but I am telling myself so far that I hear better bass and clearer treble. Am I? Time will tell. I did order a few more to experiment with. Right now, I only have the free sample that MS gives out. I really think that it would be better to try them with a head phone set up, because of the better possibility that could be heard. I will try them tomm on my SACD player which has a head phone output. More to come, and I promise some photos. I might even try doing it the right way this time through Photobucket.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: 34I.3 Under Tweeks
Reply #10 - 04/15/14 at 18:40:57

Ok this would be a step too far, but back to the tweek of the week thinking. I put on the most irritating digital disc that I have SuperTramps' Breakfast in America. Yeeeow! this thing is harsh. No I have added the disc to the 34.III amp. Still not listenable, BUT a bit better than before. It's the edge of that harshness that really sends me. It is a bit less. More to follow when the big discs arrive.

P4150021.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/15/14 at 21:09:22

I received the bigger discs a few weeks ago but haven't really done any testing.  I'll give them the Breakfast in America test.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/16/14 at 01:28:28

I just wanted to see if I can share a picture of my SE34I.32. I cannot really tell if the brass weights may a real difference in the sound. But, I think it helps couple the amp to the powerbase.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 04/16/14 at 01:31:08

Interesting buster. I use former Mapleshade brass footers as weights for my Mk III. They do make a difference for me, and I think it's in part that they assist the coupling to the Powerbase. Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 04/16/14 at 02:55:25

Buster,
 So did you place all of the weights on at once, or did you try them, like one, then two, then three, etc. I am curious because I have heard that they can overdamp, which sounds odd to me in the first place.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print