Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
34I.3 Under Tweeks (Read 5799 times)
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: 34I.3 Under Tweeks
Reply #15 - 04/17/14 at 00:07:54

I did most of them at one time.

Mapleshade recommends trying one at a time. I did not have time for that. I wanted to just enjoy the sound. I did not want spend what listening time I have trying to figure out if I hear a difference.

I rearranged my systems, had the brass lying around, and decided to use them.

I was inspired by the brass screws in your amp, and the fact that the current production has a heavier plate.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 04/17/14 at 00:47:19

Yah, I have a bit of a love affair with brass myself. I upgrade Carver C9 units. This includes a great paint job and brass screws, besides the circuit upgrades. I just think that brass looks classy, and is worth the cost. FWIW, Lee Valley sells brass discs that are intended for tracing. I have used them for anything but that. And they are relatively inexpensive.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #17 - 04/22/14 at 16:17:38

As stated, I am reporting on the effects of the 'Mad Scientist' Black Discus in my system. First of all, I haven't done that much listening since yesterday, when the shipment arrived. My initial listening has first been with the samples that were sent, and I did in fact, hear a distinct difference in the presentation of the music. This  involved mostly the bass and treble. Treble being less sibilant, and 'digital', and bass being a bit more defined.
So now that the purchased discs have a arrived, I can only hear a difference, whatever that might be. More specifically, the two areas touched are the bass and treble. And again, much to the same results. Having said that, I think that there is a line not to cross when it comes to devices such as these. I am already thinking that a little is good, but more, not so much. This may be premature, and I will add comments to this as it develops. I suspect that certain recordings are more in need of these effects than others. Fortunately, I finally have a system that can bear out the differences made.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 05/12/14 at 18:38:28

This is not a conclusion, but rather an update for my experience with the discs. I have used these for a short time now, and though I appreciate their effect, I am still of the opinion that one or two of these devices is adequate for my system. I do however, have a new CD player on the way from Emotiva. This may change my experience with these discs. I actually hope that it does not. If the new player sounds better with them, then it might cast a shadow on my expectations of the new player. I will keep an open mind and post my experience at a later date.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 05/12/14 at 18:59:20

Interesting!

You know, it will be interesting to see if the discs improve your new player. That might be because the player is more revealing? So it could mean that it's a better player?

Isn't this crazy hobby maddening sometimes!?

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III;PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,P5,AC-12 pcs;Denon DVD-A1UDCI Rega RP3,TTPSU,white belt+Exact2;VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius Cremona, UltraLinear ICs, Iso-Pods;Mapleshade:Dble Heiix Plus,Samson v2+3 +4" pltfrms;Herbie's Iso-Cups;Opp PM-1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 05/17/14 at 16:13:54

Well, I am doing things a bit backwards. I have placed the disc on the new player's power cord. I am using a Pangea 14-SE, 1/2 meter cord. What I am noticing immediately, is the background detail in music that I knew was there, but now is separated into more specific instruments, or ambience, or whatever it is that was homoginized before.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #21 - 04/14/15 at 18:45:44

Here is a little update that might be helpful to those that want stepped attenuators for the Rachel. In my experience, the stepped attens were not the best answer. Two reasons are that first the model that I use has only 21 steps. That is too coarse for fine adjustment in my opinion. Next is the fact that the model that I used seems to have some issues with balance between the two controls. I have seriously looked into this, and realize that it could be a different problem all together. Maybe the input tubes or something. I have on order a set of volume controls made by TDK. It will be good to have something with infinite adjustment. To be clear, the stepped volume controls on the amp were installed by me and not Decware. They were Ebay specials. I will know a lot more when the new controls arrive.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 04/21/15 at 05:06:43

The TDK volume controls came in today. Maybe I can find the time to install them soon.
 Here is a bit of truth the statement "There is no free lunch". Remember a bit back, I was talking about a BSC circuit (baffle step correction) that I was using for the ZOB speakers? Well, there is, of course, an insertion loss of about 3db when using the circuit. At the moment, I am running Rachel near top speed. I didn't seem to be getting the drive that I wanted. On top of this, one set of interconnect cables was 2 meters from the CD player to the BSC circuit, and then an additional meter from the circuit to the amp. Lets just say that things weren't sounding like they did before. It didn't occur to me at the time that I was cutting off my nose to spite my face. Taking these two things out helped regain the sound that I was missing, but wait, yah, there's more. Because I can't leave anything alone, the output RCA jacks in the back of the new CD player are not reliable. What I mean is that i plug in and unplug connections far more often than the regular guy, so these connectors have loosened up quite a bit. No problem folks, I just got some new RCA jacks from Manley that are pretty beefy, so there is something else to make time for. You know damned well that the original RCA jacks are circuit board mounted, meaning more effort than Decware stuff to change something out.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23 - 04/24/15 at 02:12:02

This Might be a conclusion,,,we'll see. Ok, I installed the TDK pots today, the comparison is that between them and the ladder style stepped attenuators, I will never look back. Something just wasn't quite right with old attenuators, and I will never know. Now these TDK pots are not only more revealing (I thought that I would NEVER be the guy to say something like that about a volume control!), they have physical smoothness to their operation that reminds me very much of video tripods that have fluid damping. These things turn easily and even feel elegant to the action that they have. The sound is no comparison to the old ones, since the old ones even seemed to vary in resistance or something. Drove me nutty.
 Interestingly, I didn't have to change out the RCA jacks in my CD player because they also have a balanced output. The easy solution to this was to use quality adapters from balance to single ended right on the back of the CD player. Dodged a bullet there man.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #24 - 05/07/15 at 16:20:26

I do not try to make a better mousetrap everyday, just fix the one that I got. In this next 'episode' I find that there is some kind of small mistake that I made installing the selector switch. The switch is NOS Russian military switch with a ceramic deck, and looks to be quality to me. Anyway, I suspect that I somehow miss-wired this thing. It would seem to be an obvious job, but sometimes when connecting only the right channel, both are connected, yet when connecting only the left channel, only the left is playing.  Furthermore, it only happens sometimes, and I have had enough. So I ordered a Gold Point selector switch with one deck 3 poles, and three positions. This way, when selecting from one source to another, bot signal AND grounds are switched. This isolates any possible problems originating from another input component. At $80 shipped, these things are a bit pricey, but super simple to hook up, and a great quality connection is made for each selection. I will post photos when it arrives and the installation to follow.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #25 - 05/09/15 at 22:12:48

[img][/img] So the Gold Point came in, and it turns out that I ordered a 3 Pole, 4 Position, single deck, which is good because that will give mute position.

P5100001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #26 - 05/09/15 at 22:14:38

A set screw allows for the number of positions that you will use. In this case 4. So I will move it from 7 to 4.

P5100002.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #27 - 05/09/15 at 23:54:51

Funny, I remembered this switch to have a ceramic deck. Bet the new switch is an upgrade!

P5100002_01.JPG

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 05/11/15 at 01:08:05

I am enjoying your explorations 4K. Thanks.

Here are some more impressions on Black discuses you mentioned earlier.

I have had similar experience and results. My system power was already clean from many angles, and tuned to make the sound really revealing, but balanced. So a little discus went a long way here too. I too liked the sample discuss and bought more after.

I got one big one and four mediums, and a couple really little ones were sent along with the order. They can all be heard, and integrating them to optimal effect was tricky for me too. It is actually ongoing, but I am glad to have them.

I agree that the effect is more about opening things up, cleaning the background, and can pretty easily come off as treble and bass clarifying, but more treble here in many cases. In the right places, the more fleshed out, but also smooth treble is really good, but too much upper emphasis is still too much when it doesn't work. I am always walking the line here, ultimate micro detail without edge, and these can hurt or help in that.

I had mediums on the speaker black posts, but now, auditioning some used Synergistic Research Element spk cables (with tunable active shielding that is crazily effective) the discuss were too much. Now I have the big one on the AC end of my big DIY cord feeding the P5 and a medium on the IEC end, and a medium on front of the DAC power cord (PI Audio), all relatively neutral cleaning a bit bass up. Then there is one place that is actually very neutral, smooth and warmish...I put one medium on the AC side and one on the computer side of the stock Mac Mini power cord. The overall sound was notably smoothed and clarified in all areas of the spectrum...very nice. With only one on the computer end, it helped, but had more of that treble vibe. This makes me wonder if less clean/noisier gear has more of this evener effect.

It is interesting how these little noise suckers can help or hinder depending how they effect or don't effect the frequency balance. And in some places they are more noticeable, but in my system, can be heard (for better or worse) everywhere. I am coming to find though that sometimes the more neutral side is nice, and sometimes the more clean....pretty useful since they can put them about anywhere, fine-tuning to taste.

« Last Edit: 05/11/15 at 01:12:38 by will »  

Mac Mini/PureMusic player, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups, small gliders and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #29 - 05/11/15 at 17:56:32

Will,   I appreciate your comments, and have to say that I have many of the same experiences with these discs. Lately, I have used a large cupcake size on a switching power supply for a D amp that I just got in. Even though it helped, these amps all seem to have a sonic signature this side of harsh for my ears. I am hoping that there is a break in period for these amps, but so far that has not been my experience. With the AN speakers, this amp is a double whammy. The speakers are a little sharp sounding unless I employ a Gizmo, or face them straight forward with very little toe in. Nothing here that a disc will straighten out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print