Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 17:17:51

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Power Regeneration & Decware Amps (Read 3399 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Power Regeneration & Decware Amps
Reply #45 - 04/23/14 at 18:07:04

The wire is (literally) Teflon insulated, and it's only a 35'-40' run with three bends, and it's all easily accessible through the garage which is under my audio room. It shouldn't be a big deal. Tight, probably, but not a big deal.

I might hit you up for tips on adding a couple copper ground rods if you've done it before.

~Eric~

« Last Edit: 04/23/14 at 18:23:05 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 04/23/14 at 18:12:40

The stuff is aircraft wire and is really abrasion resistant and slips through without much friction.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #47 - 04/23/14 at 18:57:25

40 ft. That's fantastic! And a garage access, well now, that changes everything. I get these visions of attics or craw spaces and it makes me sweat. I was kinda lucky in my house as well. One good part about a dedicated line is that you can run it away from other power, etc.
 Now, about the ground rods thing. It's another situation of what is your situation for placement,etc. Even what kind of soil. I mean some soil is difficult to establish a decent ground in, but in that case, I just add rods until I'm happy with the results. At my house, there was an available well pump casing. Hard to beat a 25' rod! Sometimes it works out best if say, 3 rods are separated by some distance.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 05/01/14 at 14:24:31

I have been having trouble with my PPP shutting down and may have to send it in.  It's not the infamous issues where the regenerator does not work.  It simply seems to shut down randomly during periods of high THD.  I've contacted PS Audio and have a dialogue going but they say they have never heard of such high THD.  This morning at 6:00 am is was 9.5%.  Last night it was still high (about 8.4%) and did not shut down the whole evening.

Anyway, I started the evening without it to do just a little A/B comparison in case I have to send it in.  What kind of sound will I get?

Well I thought, you know this sounds pretty good.  Imaging was still there.  Clarity was good.  Bass a bit soft, but not bad.  Still pretty good bass definition.

Then I plugged just the amp into the PPP.  BIG difference for the better.  Everything was more articulated, soundstage was bigger and bass was more precise and louder.

I sure hope I don't have to send this in.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #49 - 05/01/14 at 15:15:52

I may have mentioned before that I used to own a PPP that had similar issues. It would click in the middle of the night as though someone was trying to turn it on. I figured that I was dodging a bullet by sending it in. They did their thing at the PS Audio shop, but it didn't really help. That's when I looked into a balanced power unit from BPT.  For my situation, it worked very well. Since I like try so many things, I am now using a P500. It had some of it's own issues, but I think that I solved them. Overall, I am a big PS Audio fan.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 05/01/14 at 15:19:09

I was wondering if something at the wall would help this.  What do the BPT units run?  Does PS audio offer something similar?

Edit Found BPT on the web.  Still looking for other solutions.  I may try something in between the PPP and the wall and see if it helps.  I have a tripplite isolation transformer I could stick in there.

« Last Edit: 05/01/14 at 15:34:09 by Palomino »  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #51 - 05/01/14 at 15:51:15

I've got Triplite 1500 watt isolation transformer, 1200 watt power ocnditioner, and that PS Audio Solo which I've not installed yet. you're welcome to borrow any of them for testing - though I'm hoping to install the Solo soon, I just need a hand pulling my projection screen down and a few cuts into the wall.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #52 - 05/01/14 at 16:00:28

Yes, there may be a few options, but then considering your problem as being too high of a THD, I'm not so sure that solution would be plausible. The BPT products are very good for supplying balanced power, but in order to feed a PPP, you would need to purchase the BPT product that would be able to handle a 20 amp load, just to have that margin for the PPP. I'm really thinking that there is an issue with the PPP itself, seeing how it is reading a crazy amount of incoming THD. First step in my thinking is to get it checked out. If, after that point, you still want to provide a cleaner power from the wall Before it gets to the PPP, then perhaps a PS Audio 'Ultimate Outlet' would be more practical. It will be able to clean the incoming power and not have current limitation. I cannot think of a device that would help lower the THD Before the PP, in spite of the fact that I wonder if a balanced power unit (BPT) would help cancel the THD if it is a common mode noise sort of thing. You did mention a Tripplite isolation transformer, and I also am a big fan of these devices, but only for the proper application. By this I mean that the Tripplite is compensating mostly for the voltage variations, and the PPP is already designed to do that. Also, I am not so sure that I would like the idea of using a transformer between the wall and the PPP. Sorry if I am talking in circles here, it's just my continued train of thought W/O editing. In conclusion, I would definitely want the PP to be verified as good to go before I try solve the problem by use of additional filters, etc.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 05/01/14 at 16:01:21

Thanks.  I may take you up on it Raven.

I've been doing some research into power standards.  I'm not sure I understand everything but it looks like about 3-5% THD is the standard.

I put a call in the ComEd and they are going to look into it.  They may even send someone out to investigate.

« Last Edit: 05/01/14 at 16:02:58 by Palomino »  

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #54 - 05/01/14 at 16:03:59

Good thinking about the power company. In the past, I have tried to get action, but sometimes they don't respond, or BS me in a way that they think I will just accept their answer.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 05/01/14 at 16:08:34

I hate shipping stuff.  Just a peeve of mine.

That along with the intermittent nature of it, has me thinking its still external.  I listened for over 3 hours last night with no issues.

I also saw that overnight, when I had the PPP turned off, it was on this morning, so something triggered it.

I did put the PPP on other circuits throughout the house and its the same THD reading everywhere.

Power co. says someone will give me a call to discuss before sending somebody out.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #56 - 05/01/14 at 17:15:24

Well, I wouldn't be opposed to you trying different things to see their influence on the problem. It will give more information for you to use. I just remember that when I had such issues with my PPP, I finally decided to go another route. In fact, I have ended up with the older P500 unit with no issues so far. Having said that, I encourage you to explore all other possibilities first. If this is a doable thing, then it is well worth keeping with the PPP.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #57 - 05/01/14 at 17:49:49

To be honest, I think there's a good chance the problem is outside the PPP. Good idea to get the power company out there. I've had nothing like that happen with my PPP. Every now and then I get some clicking that lasts a few minutes and goes away for weeks.

I don't recommend those Tripplite transformers, they added a hash to my system.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 05/21/14 at 14:15:34

Well, just an update.  The unit has been running very steady recently so I checked the THD.  It was at 3.6%, down from running consistently in the 8-10% range.

I called the Power company a couple weeks ago, but they never got back to me.  They may have sent someone out without my knowledge.

Anyway, it will be hard to part with this unit if I do end up sending it in.  My cottage system just does not sound nearly as good and I believe one significant variable is that PPP not being in the system.  The other being room treatments.  I think I need some first reflection point panels for better imaging.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print