Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/27/14 at 13:15:42

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 32631 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #75 - 03/17/14 at 18:20:53

I find the PWT and PWD together improves the sound of Redbook. The material goes through two digital lenses, really cool results. (Stone, you didn't put enough hours on that pair to really hear what it can do). I like Hi-res but really well reproduced Redbook is awesome enough, and I have over 15,000 cds now. Gulp.

Gordon's reports sound great. I'll probably convert one of my PWD Mk IIs into a DirectStream in time, but I'm not going to be an early adopter. (Nor will I be a Decware early adopter again).

« Last Edit: 03/17/14 at 18:21:36 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #76 - 03/17/14 at 18:40:02

Lon, I had well over 100 hours on the PWT/PWD.

You might not realize this, but the Audio Alchemy DTI Pro32 is comparable to the Digital Lens. It did not stop doing what it does by virtue of other DACS coming along.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-alchemy-dti149pro-32-jitter-filter

The DTI Pro32, Digital Lens ( in front of Redbook DACS) & Camelot Uther DAC still dragon slay todays contemporary DACS/Emperor's new clothes. If they did not ....I WOULD OWN ONE of THE NEWER DACS now or years ago.

The PS DSD has promise.

« Last Edit: 03/17/14 at 18:47:09 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #77 - 03/17/14 at 18:42:32

Stone, it took in excess fo 500 hours before I experienced what I have now experienced with each of my PWT and PWD combos. They just don't happen til then and longer. I still say you didn't get to hear what they do.

I heard AA gear in the early nineties, and read all about them in the mags I used to read at the time. It was nice and I didn't listen much to be honest and not in my system. There have been a lot of advances since then. I'm sure your front end is great. . . but you said you couldn't stand the tame top end of the PWD and if that is so I would need ear plugs to listen to yours. YIKES!

« Last Edit: 03/17/14 at 18:47:59 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #78 - 03/17/14 at 18:51:23

Nope, 100+ hours was plenty.

NO advancements....just variations. The AA DTI Pro32 in front of any new conventional Redbook DAC, still improves them.

I have not replaced it...and have had in many DACS...no go.

Like I stated: the Pro32 did not stop doing what it does so well for Redbook because/by virtue of time passing and the Emperor's new clothes of subsequent DACS.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #79 - 03/17/14 at 18:55:01

Okay, we'll agree to disagree on this one. I'm glad I have what I have and not what you have and vice versa. Because I don't need all that high end.

The Duos have changed a LOT between 100 and 500 hours for me, and even more after about 2000. And clearly have been better than anything else I've heard in my home. Sometimes you need to go the distance. Sorry, it's not emperor's new clothes.

« Last Edit: 03/17/14 at 18:58:59 by Lon »  

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #80 - 03/17/14 at 19:00:49

Roger that Lon.... seldom is it a good thing to be "on point".... the early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese....
there were a few companies doing digital in the 90's that were way ahead of the times.  I once owned the original AA DDE v1.0 and later the DDE v3.0 and its partnering anti-jitter box, the DTI, but moved on to Theta Digital products after that which were much more "real" sounding to me.  I still own one Theta product, as well as a Sony ES player, an Emotiva unit and Wyred4Sound dac2.  To my ears... most of the "latest & greatest", "flavor of the month" DAC's in the past 10 years just sound "different"... not necessarily "better" than my vintage Theta.  I'll give PS' DirectStream unit a listen in 3-4 months from now - after the dust settles and see if it's really revolutionary or just "different".  There is no "objective" information out there yet... all subjective opinions and subjective opinions from its creators and/or those involved with its development no less... hardly a definitive source of objective information - or even an unbiased opinion.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #81 - 03/18/14 at 06:44:27

Good points gentlemen all in all.

I am seriously following the PS Thread on this DAC over on their Forum.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 03/22/14 at 01:32:27

This has been an interesting thread hearing every ones view points. I am not heavily invested into cd's yet and am having a hard time finding quality sounding cd's. I am able to get them but mostly leaning out of my typical music style I listen to regularly. Most of my wife's older motown music sounds horrible all related to recording quality great music just bad quality recordings. I do like hearing the smoothness of my system and a lot of recordings such as Celine Dion and John Hiatt sound excellent do to mostly being newer recordings. I haven't had the time to get my vinyl up and running yet to make the comparison. Lon, If you by chance read this what is your favorite cd's or vinyl? I realize your heavily into both so I figured you would be a good source to ask.

Hope all have had a great week!

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #83 - 03/22/14 at 02:09:43

Hey Digger,

Are you asking what are my favorite cds and lps or what are the ones I think sound best or really good?

I expect most recordings I like to not really sound that great. And I don't seek out recordings just because they sound good. My struggle has been to find a system that helps all my recordings to sound better. So extreme detail and extreme fidelity to the recording are often my enemies. The Torii Mk III and its amazing flexibility and the PS Audio PWD Mk II are key components in that regard because they bring the best out of ordinary recordings.

My "favorites" are always changing. I would say look at the "What's Spinning" thread to see the music I am playing. I play stuff that I really like listening to.

As far as cds go I've been really fascinated by the difference that Blu-Spec and Blu-Spec 2 cd processes/materials make on playback. Shouldn't make any difference, especially in a player that uses a digital buffer to make "perfect" playback of cds, but it does make a difference (I have the same masrtering on earlier issues to compare with). I think they sound very very good. So I would say if you see an album you really like available on Blu-Spec or Blu-Spec 2 get it and experience it in this format (but don't hesitate much as they don't stay in print too long).

On vinyl. . . most of my vinyl is jazz. And I would say the ones I think sound really best and that I really like to listen to are on Columbia.

« Last Edit: 03/22/14 at 02:11:01 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 03/22/14 at 12:07:45

Good Morning Lon. I was mostly wondering what your favorite format is for best sound cd's or vinyl. It almost sounds as though its pretty equal for you with what you have said depending on the availability of music that you like. Thank you for your response!

Have a great day                  

Smiley

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #85 - 03/22/14 at 12:18:28

That's about right. To be honest, I look for the very best sound for Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix releases (these were the first musicians to really turn me on to music and remain a bedrock for me) and don't obsess about "the best possible sound" in general.

As far as "which is the better format, cd or vinyl" this is so apples and oranges to me that I won't say one is better than another. I will say that with the ZP3 and even a modest turntable you can get fantastic sound at what appears to me to be a lower, considerably lower, price point with vinyl compared to cd. But. . .I can't find even 10 percent of the music I want to hear on vinyl any longer. So cd is where I toss the most time and money.

To be honest, I think that SACD has the biggest sonic potential (not often realized) for digital. If there were more releases of music that I really really wanted to have I would invest as much as I could into the very best SACD player possible. I have a few very good ones. . . but my Redbook front end is better quality, and I have about 150 times more cds than SACDs.

« Last Edit: 03/22/14 at 13:03:16 by Lon »  

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 03/22/14 at 21:23:16

DSD is promising, but it will be a tough battle against 384kHz PCM. You have smaller file sizes and some are arguing the sound beats out DSD. I'm not sure. I have a lot of DSD and I am still getting used to it with the Auralic Vega. I hope to get a Chord Hugo in house soon to see how it does on PCM. Good vinyl still sounds great to me although I don't have a reference cart (AT33PTG/II), it  is not too shabby.

Lately, upsampling using J. River PCM2DSD has been fun, but I find myself using my "native" Zone. Exciting times nonetheless!

@LON - What VooDoo cable are you using? I am about to buy some Grover Huffman cables, and I have a Decware Silver Ref. w/ Xhadows on the way.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #87 - 03/22/14 at 21:29:46

I'm using VooDoo Evolution and Ultralinear interconnects. Ultralinear are no longer made, were the step up from Evolution, and I only have one pair, form CSP2+ (with beeswax caps) to the Mk III. I really like these cables a lot. Got a few used, one a special from VooDoo Cable itself, and a few from the Cable Company at a good price.

Here's the page for the Evolution:

http://www.voodoocable.net/VEVIC.html

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 03/22/14 at 21:32:08

I'm on the fence about the Ultralinear. I need a 3-4M cable and was going to grab the Huffmans at half the cost of the UL at Cable Co.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #89 - 03/22/14 at 21:37:51

Well, can't help you with the decision, I've no experience with the other cables. Very happy with the VooDoo that I have, I've stopped the "quest."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45
Send Topic Print