Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/22/14 at 10:48:37

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 44
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 27408 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #540 - 08/29/14 at 16:00:26

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #541 - 08/29/14 at 19:21:45

I was just sitting down to read that on my lunch break.

I didn't have much time to listen to my DS on the new server last night - this weekend it was strained sounding (and I was feeling ill and stressed), last night I only got a track or two off before Brianne had me put Mythbusters on the big screen - but for those two tracks, it sounded really good!

I guess the mental aspect is pretty big. Or maybe there was extremely bad power that weekend, or the planets weren't in alignment or something.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #542 - 08/29/14 at 20:04:18

From the above review - about the Oppo BDP-105 - this sounds familiar, doesn't it? Smiley

"The Oppo 105 packed tremendous resolve but hints of digital hardness were definitely present – this is the same hardness that keeps so many vinyl heads away from digital but maintains a sense of aural excitement high for those who instead prioritise deeper detail retrieval. How much was attributable to the PCM source files and how much the Oppo player I couldn’t say."

and about the DS

"Out of pure coincidence, I too have been running Magnepan MMG driven by a REDGUM integrated – the similarly Chinese-baked Black Series RGi35. Each and every time I compared a rival DAC to the DirectStream unit the results mirrored the afore-detailed Byrne/Eno digital/vinyl standoff in all but detail retrieval."

« Last Edit: 08/29/14 at 20:05:25 by Lonely Raven »  
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #543 - 08/29/14 at 20:28:50

I'm so going to get myself banned from the ComputerAudiophile forums. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #544 - 08/29/14 at 22:40:59

Yeah, the review made sense to me, I'm glad that he enj0yed the DS. I've been enjoying mine (though not this week, I'm out of town for a wedding in the GF's family, having a lot of fun).

I'm so glad I use discs and don't have to futz with networks, eq settings, etc. Whew!

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #545 - 08/30/14 at 06:45:20

Quote:
I'm so glad I use discs and don't have to futz with networks, eq settings, etc. Whew!

Sometimes I agree with that...and honestly, until I realized my Oppo had these neat networking features, I'd pretty much written off digital music except for maybe MP3s as background music while I clean house or audio books while I'm on a long road trip.

Now, I see the computer as a component of the system...just a "digital transport". And the sound I'm getting tonight is amazing!

In fact, I think I found that emotional connection I mentioned was missing in Palomino's thread. And what finally did it (besides not being sick and crabby) - Ted Smith suggested some modifications to my Industrial Linear Power Supply (which I had to pick up a couple books and read up/refresh on some basic electronics to understand half of what he said! LOL), and now my Mini-PC, Windows Server 2012 Core with Audiophile Optimizer software, Modified Industrial L-PSU to DS to ZMA to MG-944 - everything is clicking right tonight.

And while I sit here typing this, I can search for an album that just popped into my head (in this case The XX - Self Titled) and have it playing before I even finish this sentence. Especially since it sounds so good I keep getting distracted as I type.  :)

Yeah, I can't go back, this is brilliant and beautiful. I think I'm done with physical media unless I get back into Reel to Reel again.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #546 - 08/30/14 at 13:41:03

I can understand how that "convenience" can be so satisfying for others but it doesn't have the same value for me. And my PS Audio PerfectWave Transports are amazing transports, putting out data not at all unlike the data from a computer as a source. My Blu-ray and SACD players are also top notch. I am not really "into" computers, don't like digital data as a soure, don't have the time it takes to rip, futz with eq and all these things with my 60 hour a week no pay job and girlfriend, so I'm so happy to not have a computer in my system. Even in just this one thread I see how much time you guys spend with different "players," eqs, settings, connections, and I just don't have that type of time, let alone the added time of finding, downloading, ripping files, etc. I'd never be able to spin music if that were the case for me.

I've got sound I just don't need to get better now, and the methodology I want---I can just sit and listen to music and skip all this tinkering aobut. I consider myself very lucky, and I'm not fixing what isn't broken.

« Last Edit: 08/30/14 at 14:28:06 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #547 - 08/30/14 at 15:33:27

I totally understand that, Lon.

Plus, until last night, I don't think my computer could hold a candle to the PWT - now I finally feel like I"m at least close to, if not on par with the PWT, and all for $475 and some time (cost of all hardware and software).

With your extensive collection, I wouldn't be keen on ripping either. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #548 - 08/30/14 at 17:29:56

Well, paramount to me is the time factor. I have so little time on my own, and I have to split it between time with my GF, my instruments, my books, and my music and TV and movie interests. So little time, it's very frustrating. Futzing about with computers is very very low on the list for me, I'd put housework above it!

Also with the PWD Mk II the HDMI handshake with the PWT is special, audibly better than other connections tried. I think that is less so with  the DS, but still a bit of a specialness in my brief testing. I'm just happy with the PWTs and other sources, I'd have to be very unhappy to make a move. I am far far from being very unhappy with my system!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #549 - 09/09/14 at 16:18:39

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #550 - 09/10/14 at 03:00:36

Doing some gear testing - CSP2 on loan, along with the Gallo Reference 3.1 all sourced from the DirectStream.

Its going to take me a little while to figure out all the knobs, but already this is sounding good!

(sorry for another crappy photo, and with flash no less!)

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #551 - 09/10/14 at 03:06:22

Cool!  

Is Al sending you his PWT to include in the mix?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #552 - 09/10/14 at 03:39:39

In theory. He's not messaged me, and mentioned he was busy with work.

So we'll see.

Some amazing sound right now - playing some Rockapella.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #553 - 09/10/14 at 23:58:14

FYI ~ I just got an email from Music Direct ... trade in "any" DAC get $1500 off towards the purchase of the DS.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #554 - 09/11/14 at 00:38:17

Just goes to show how much markup is on these. Go buy a $100 chinese DAC and get on with your big discount!

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 44
Send Topic Print