Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/26/14 at 11:24:20

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 32466 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #525 - 08/19/14 at 19:10:25

Well, the DirectStream has been in my system two weeks almost to the minute.

It doesn't at all sound as it did when it first arrived, or at the end of the first week, or even yesterday. It has been improving. The tonal balance has become even more realistically full and there is more depth to the sound stage and imaging.

Redbook is really stunning with this DAC. But even Time Warner digital cable sound is involving in a way it hasn't been before.

I'm glad I sent this one back for an upgrade, really glad.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #526 - 08/19/14 at 19:38:19

stone_of_tone wrote on 08/19/14 at 19:05:53:
Heck Will, with the quality an efficiency of your HR1's. You probably have more ambient retrieval than me; where my Select Cables are not needed in your System. I would bet on it. Especially, based on my two visits to Decware and great sound.

I will certainly be putting my SE84CS an CKC back in soon for ~more~ comparisons (run direct of course).  

As I stated though, the CSP3 & ZMA are my SE84CS. Total enthralling Magic with Headroom! .....now with 37 hours on the Chord CuteHD DAC....the grin on my face is starting to hurt.

I just love the fact that the Super Zen, the least expensive amp in Decware's lineup can compete and has the same magic as their top tier amps and is still highly regarded.  I'm getting the sense that a good description of the ZMA is the Super Zen on steroids Grin.  

The ZMA must be something special, and although it is way above my budget ... It makes me think that if I were to get a set of Super Zens and set them up as monos, it may get me into the same ballpark sound wise with the ZMA.  I think this would be something special and give me enough headroom for my 93dB Omegas to cover all bases, but in the mean time I'm jealous of you guys.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #527 - 08/20/14 at 03:35:51

I've listed my DS for sale here and on Agon.

If a Decware forum member is interested, I will give them a special price.

PM me if you're interested.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #528 - 08/20/14 at 06:16:34

Stone,

Since ambience is a big part of the DS discussion, and the CSP also, I guess this segue is in the topic? I do have really good micro detail and associated complex ambience. And the HR-1s surely can reveal this. But mine have become a more resolving version, so they reveal it more due to increased resonance damping, more controlled bass, and a really sweet cap and resistor arrangement, opening the top in a smooth but also textured way.

Your post got me to looking at ICs. I switched the Grovers to the amp side of the CSP, and the VHAudio DIY silvers to the DAC side. The VHaudio are more like music to me and the Grovers just a little "too good" doing everything exceptionally, but a bit in the face...just a little. This is why I have been using the VH on the amp side. But with the Grovers there the micro detail increased. Enough that the ambience became a bit over done for me.

I realized that what I love about this room is its ambient contributions, its just-right diffused liveness. I depend on the system revealing a lot of ambient information for making the sound realer, placing instruments in space and the getting the feel of the recording space. But if the system goes too far into the reverbs, or the recording room space, it dominates the experience making it seem more like a recording. With a good balance, though (still loads of micro detail) then the recording space fills up my room, AND mixes with my room space, making it sound like it IS in this room (though without walls!). I had not quite gotten to the level of too much ambience before, so I did not know how important this balance of room and recording space is for the live player sound I love. Always learning...

Whatever level of ambient information, a grin that is so persistant that it hurts is surely the best thing going!

« Last Edit: 08/20/14 at 07:15:26 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #529 - 08/20/14 at 07:00:49

Will, have you heard a DS in your system?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #530 - 08/20/14 at 07:14:03

No Kana. I am content with my Tranquility playing all Rebook.

« Last Edit: 08/20/14 at 07:16:19 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #531 - 08/20/14 at 07:24:57

Will,

With all due respect, I don't understand how you can comment on something you've ever heard in your system.

I've always tried to only comment on equipment I've heard in my system.

I'm obviously going to take a loss on my DS, but I wanted to hear it in my
system.

Living in paradise has its costs.

PS- I was hoping the difference between the DS and Pandora Signature were small and I could get the promised Bridge II to play my networked files, but 30 minutes after the Pandora Signature warmed up, it was no contest.

« Last Edit: 08/20/14 at 08:00:04 by kana813 »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #532 - 08/20/14 at 15:36:50

Hey Kana,

My posts here have been relative to comments in this thread related to DS/DAC use...computers, alternative DACs, player software, CSP3, all things I know from personal experience. In response to posts about alternative DACs, I did make a personal comment on the DS...its high price of admission.

My most recent post is in response to the segue about CSP3 micro detail retrieval, an issue that came up relative to folks impressions that the DS is really good at micro detail. This is an area I have spent a lot of time sorting out to bring the CSP3 into sync with my very resolving DAC and amp.

So I may have, but don't recall commenting on the DS performance directly.

« Last Edit: 08/20/14 at 15:57:57 by will »  

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #533 - 08/20/14 at 22:15:01

will wrote on 08/20/14 at 15:36:50:
Hey Kana,

My posts here have been relative to comments in this thread related to DS/DAC use...computers, alternative DACs, player software, CSP3, all things I know from personal experience. In response to posts about alternative DACs, I did make a personal comment on the DS...its high price of admission.

My most recent post is in response to the segue about CSP3 micro detail retrieval, an issue that came up relative to folks impressions that the DS is really good at micro detail. This is an area I have spent a lot of time sorting out to bring the CSP3 into sync with my very resolving DAC and amp.

So I may have, but don't recall commenting on the DS performance directly.

@ Kana, yes I was wondering the same thing as I have not read a post from Will related directly to the performance of the DS.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #534 - 08/22/14 at 03:07:09

Quote:
Reply #523 - 08/18/14 at 9:49pm
Chill Boss!

I haven't made any buying decisions at all yet. And the CPS3 is still #1 on my list!

Everything needs to prove itself to me in my system.

Just reminding you of what you heard... Wink  Trick picture btw!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #535 - 08/23/14 at 00:38:02

The Stereophile DS review is now on line:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-da-processo...

Dudley didn't try using the DirectStream to directly drive any of his amps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #536 - 08/23/14 at 01:18:25

Interesting review. The "impact" and "forwardness" that several reviewers seem to miss . . . I sure don't, it's absence is one of the big pluses for me of the DAC.

So much blather made about the measured "defect" on line. . .it sure seems to bother a lot of people who have never heard the DAC!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #537 - 08/23/14 at 02:38:18

On another forum someone posted:

"The choice of transformer and core material was probably chosen for best HF performance, so the trade off was a lower LF saturation level."

It would be interesting to get Steve's take on this subject.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #538 - 08/27/14 at 03:09:29

Just dropped my DS off at UPS for shipment to its new owner.

Appreciate the exchange of info on this great forum.

If Steve decides to build an amp with balanced inputs and KT-150 outputs, please let me know.

Aloha

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #539 - 08/27/14 at 14:18:43

Cool cousin, DS gone.

I like my QuteHD much better! Less internal preamp (PS Audio DS DAC) not needed, when I have the wonderful CSP3/Jupiter Capped.
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1408218461

Yeah Kana, I would like to see/hear what Steve could do with the KT-150...no doubt.
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/KT88-Tube-Types/Tung-Sol-KT150

« Last Edit: 08/27/14 at 14:19:49 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers