Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/23/14 at 07:29:14

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 40
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 22750 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #510 - 08/15/14 at 20:49:28

Quote:
LR, If you're interested in a balanced switching preamp with a remote, take a look at the Aesthetix Calypso. Paul McGowan uses one in his system.

I'm interested in vintage Porsche as well; it doesn't mean I can afford one unfortunately.

The Calypso is on my radar - it must be well liked, because I just haven't seen one pop up used anywhere.

Quote:
I think Paul has stated that the Calypso reduces micro detail and ambiance cues vs. running direct.  Sounds similar to LR's experience with the CSP3 at Steve's.

This is true on both points. When we did our DS listening session at Steve's shop, we went back and forth a bit about this. With the CSP3 we gained some density and more of that tape like quality I've come to love from Reel to Reel - but at the expense of  *some* detail and  "ambient retrieval" (I'm really liking that term - thanks Steve Hoffman) . That ambient reverberation that's captured (or faked) in recordings is important to me, as I believe it's part of the key to getting that holographic sound I love. Steve shrugged it off part of the compromise to gain density, but Dave and I rather liked the details as they were. Then the more we listened, the more it seemed this density vs detail tug-of-war seemed to change song by song and we started discussing the need to be able to switch out the preamp or have it in and all sorts of other silliness. At that point I bowed out - if I can't get a preamp that gives me the voltage the ZMA needs, gives me at least a little bit of the density I want, without losing detail and ambient retrieval - then I'll just continue to run straight to amp.

IMHO, I should be able to get all that - somewhere.

« Last Edit: 08/15/14 at 21:18:53 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #511 - 08/15/14 at 23:35:09

Quote:
if I can't get a preamp that gives me the voltage the ZMA needs, gives me at least a little bit of the density I want, without losing detail and ambient retrieval - then I'll just continue to run straight to amp.

A well burned in jupitered CSP3 with good cables and the right tubes does this every day for me. Stock tubes won't do it.

« Last Edit: 08/15/14 at 23:37:40 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #512 - 08/16/14 at 14:59:34

Do I need the DirectStream to hear what Paul is describing in the Shelby Lynne track? ; )

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/bleeding-music/

« Last Edit: 08/16/14 at 16:04:09 by Dave1210 »  
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #513 - 08/16/14 at 18:08:41

I'm not playing the detail vs. density fight. I have the detail an ambient retrieval.

I have 4 pair of Speakers I use for comparisons. Which include the 95db Parkers.

In 20 bit dither, probably only truncating a couple bits via my remote volume control to my AA DAC....really shines out the ambient cues an detail. Furthermore, I have a Super ZEN CKC an my SE84CS with Svetlana SV83 wide bandwidth Video Tubes, that Steve build his empire upon. Read: ambient cues an detail...run direct from DAC.

Also, I did not like the Torii III I owned. I sold it, it could not do what my SE84CS could do. I have not sold the CSP3 an ZMA....because it can do what my SE84CS with Svetlana SV83's can do....with headroom.

So, I think I'm qualified to comment.

I was worried about the ZMA not providing those details an Ambient Retrieval....with the CSP3. I have not lost these aspects. So, it begs the question why you lose this aspect of playback LR? I would say cables matter an Speakers. You're in the Rabbit Hole now...you need to persue high end cables an different Speakers IMHO.

We know many here, like I, use 89 - 92db Speakers....from Jenzens to Martin Logans..... .

Cables are easy through CableCo. But, do get IC's to go with matching Speaker Cable. Speakers are heavy...but I do it...just had a pair of Sonus Faber's in....here an gone.  Food for thought..... .

« Last Edit: 08/16/14 at 18:13:40 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #514 - 08/16/14 at 18:25:38

I am a little disappointed in AD's review of the new DS. When he owned and was Editor an Chief of The Listener Magazine (I own an have read just about all of them)....Art would have written a more, lets say LESS, politically correct review.

I will comment more/later.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #515 - 08/16/14 at 18:56:37

Stone said Quote:
I was worried about the ZMA not providing those details an Ambient Retrieval....with the CSP3. I have not lost these aspects. So, it begs the question why you lose this aspect of playback LR? I would say cables matter an Speakers. You're in the Rabbit Hole now...you need to persue high end cables an different Speakers

I think you are "qualified to comment" also because you had the DS for a month.

This is really interesting to me Stone. Are you suggesting that you had no loss of micro detail, including ambient information?

Maybe our builds were a little different, but using the same cables throughout with the addition of some really good Grover silvers the CSP3 did not cut out micro information, but it masked it enough that I did not like it. The MKIV may be a factor being family, but pretty different from the MKIII, exceptional micro detail being a notable factor, especially with it enhanced by the reconstructive feedback circuit.

Anyway...this is all good cables, a DAC that was defined in large part by amazing micro detail and ambience in development, and my very revealing, tweaked HR-1s...the only change was the CSP3, and it took away enough micro detail for me to seriously consider selling it.

More burnin and mostly tubes solved it, now the sound being a little different, but without masking the excellent micro detail the Tranquility and MKIV could pull. And all else was the same.

My system is crazy good at micro detail and all that it brings to the presentation. Good cables throughout, good fuses, good room, good vibration control, and tubed to pull the most from the music, with micro information a priority in the balance, not just for great ambience, but for all it does throughout the spectrum.

So I don't understand why the CSP3 made such a difference here and not there. Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: 08/16/14 at 19:45:19 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #516 - 08/18/14 at 14:29:01

I got the linear power supply for the Chord QuteHD on Friday.  I was in Michigan, but had my son burn it in over the weekend.

Upon returning home, I hooked it up and played (yes, the king of pop) Billie Jean and it tamed the bass and sounded much closer to the DS.  I still think I like the DS better for this particular cut, but it was much closer.

So we have some more comparin' to do Raven.

I put some other comments on the Chord thread.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #517 - 08/18/14 at 17:59:51

Quote:
Do I need the DirectStream to hear what Paul is describing in the Shelby Lynne track? ; )

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/bleeding-music/

Paul didn't even know what he was talking about - LOL

I was about to post in the comments that the Bleed mentioned was microphone bleed, but apparently a flood of other people beat me to it.

I don't think I hear the Print Through that he mentions, it makes me want to go back and listen to it more thoroughly.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #518 - 08/18/14 at 17:59:55

I'm not suggesting...I am saying I have no loss. With my cables an Speakers of 91db efficiency. Kimber Select does take you there with the correct Speakers.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #519 - 08/18/14 at 20:01:13

Interesting- those must be good ICs indeed!

« Last Edit: 08/18/14 at 20:01:58 by will »  

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #520 - 08/18/14 at 21:35:19

LR…I can hear the pre-echo, but I really have to listen for it.  If I remember correctly, it happens at about 2:48.  

I’m sure Paul’s system is quite a bit more revealing than mine.  I would like to visit PSA and listen to the IRS System in Music Room 1, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon!    

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #521 - 08/18/14 at 21:38:49

I was talking to Brianne about us going out to the RMAF this year, but I think it's the weekend right after Decfest. Too much for me that month, considering I have some big software upgrades going on at work around that same time. But I thought about going out there, and see if Paul could spare some time for me to listen to Music Room 1. Especially now that those speakers have been properly setup!

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #522 - 08/19/14 at 01:25:52

Quote:
Reply #511 - 08/15/14 at 5:35pm

LR - "if I can't get a preamp that gives me the voltage the ZMA needs, gives me at least a little bit of the density I want, without losing detail and ambient retrieval - then I'll just continue to run straight to amp."

WILL - "A well burned in jupitered CSP3 with good cables and the right tubes does this every day for me. Stock tubes won't do it."

LR, Yes, that's right.  I made it pretty clear that the CSP3 we tried that night was brand new, un-burned in and with untested, stock tubes.  Perhaps that's why I shrugged off the complaint.  I'm going to assume you forgot or didn't hear me, because it almost seems as though you've made a buying decision based on how an unburned in preamp sounds... Now, I know you're way more cautious than that.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #523 - 08/19/14 at 03:49:20

Chill Boss!

I haven't made any buying decisions at all yet. And the CPS3 is still #1 on my list!

Everything needs to prove itself to me in my system.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #524 - 08/19/14 at 19:05:53

Heck Will, with the quality an efficiency of your HR1's. You probably have more ambient retrieval than me; where my Select Cables are not needed in your System. I would bet on it. Especially, based on my two visits to Decware and great sound.

I will certainly be putting my SE84CS an CKC back in soon for ~more~ comparisons (run direct of course).  

As I stated though, the CSP3 & ZMA are my SE84CS. Total enthralling Magic with Headroom! .....now with 37 hours on the Chord QuteHD DAC....the grin on my face is starting to hurt.

« Last Edit: 08/19/14 at 19:35:00 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats