Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/23/14 at 11:22:27

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 22855 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #375 - 07/30/14 at 19:23:10

Hmmm.  On headphones, right?

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #376 - 07/30/14 at 19:28:08

Listening to stuff outside your system is so different. This DS could have been removed from the box an hour before, have the old firmware, etc. The PWD and its MK II version in my experience took at least 500 hours to come into its own and really sound right. It would be great if only fully broken in units were in shows, but that's unlikely.

Anyway, I guess you didn't like it, but I still have high hopes. You seemed to need more treble from the PWD Mk II and I ahve to turn my treble control down about halway or more on any source I've had. I hear lots of microdetail, though I admit it took months to really be this excellent a DAC. So we want and hear things a bit differently. Looking forward to having my upgraded unit back.

Edit to add: Just discovered that my PWD is now a DS and will be sent back to me tomorrow. Cool.

« Last Edit: 07/30/14 at 19:39:52 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #377 - 07/30/14 at 19:51:35

Stone, did you ever try the new firmware? That was a game changer. The stock Firmware I thought was good, but not $6000 good.

Lon, congrats! I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

« Last Edit: 07/30/14 at 19:51:57 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #378 - 07/30/14 at 20:32:22

Lonely Raven wrote on 07/30/14 at 19:51:35:
Lon, congrats! I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to them too. Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
kana813

Reply #379 - 07/30/14 at 21:05:07

marvey's negative comments are strange based on all the other published DS reviews. He also posted:

"I preferred the Hugo over the PSA DSD, but mainly because of its more agreeable tonal balance. The DSD was too tonally skewed to Paul's preferences which seem be to somewhere along the lines of the PWD1. But for technicalities, the Hugo was not nearly as good. Mediocre focus and precision. Coarser and less liquid. Just very mediocre."

Art Dudley's DS review will be in the September issue of Stereophile.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #380 - 07/30/14 at 21:17:54

@ Stone ... A tad harsh? Grin

Quote:
vanityears said,
Donít be fooled by spastic bearded DAC engineers in YouTube videos.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #381 - 07/30/14 at 21:30:47

I just posted that quote in the PS Audio forums. It made me laugh.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #382 - 08/02/14 at 13:27:06

Lon...is that DS in your possession yet?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #383 - 08/02/14 at 13:30:01

No. It may be out for delivery today, but I will likely not be home to receive it, but out in the woods at my girlfriend's house instead. So maybe on Monday.

I'm going to try to give it a hundred or more hours of use before making comments.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #384 - 08/02/14 at 14:07:03

Lon, IMHO, after a few hours it started to sound like a DS, but for me it took 250+ for it to "level up". From what you and others have said, I'm figuring I still have another 250+ to go.

Also, you mentioned specific inputs/outputs. I'm doing a few hours a night on Coax, and several on USB - both out to XLR. Now that I think about it, I haven't even tried it via RCA - I should try it that way and see how the synergy is with the ZMA via RCA.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #385 - 08/02/14 at 14:47:09

Never hurts to try. Cabling itself is such an interesting variable, add in a different transfer method. . . .

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #386 - 08/02/14 at 15:05:06

LR...agree, never hurts to try.  That said, with the RCA outputs on the DS, there isn't enough voltage to bring the ZMA to full volume.  

Lon...can't wait for your first impressions...and the eventual direct comparison vs. a seasoned PWD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #387 - 08/02/14 at 15:07:52

I probably won't do the giant pain in the ass it will take to do a direct comparison to a PWD Mk II. Tht said, my audio memory is pretty damned good, despite some perosn's theories such a thing is not possible. I'll know pretty much from just hearing it how it compares.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #388 - 08/02/14 at 15:18:38

Bummer...I was hoping it would be straightforward for you to do the direct comparison.  I agree that audio memory isn't quite as short lived as most folks say, but I find that typically applies to things that make bigger changes in the system vs. something minor.  Hopefully the DS falls into the former camp, and from all the reviews, it should.  I have been debating whether I want to do the upgrade kit or a trade in, and I am leaning towards trade-in (although it would cost more) so I can do the direct comparison vs. my PWD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #389 - 08/02/14 at 15:24:06

Due to rack space it would be very hard for me to do direct comparison and I'm not likely to do so. If I love the DS more than the PWD Mk II I'll know right away, and be sure after break-in. And then I'll be set. I'll be as specific as I can about differences when I do comment if that helps others. †I do remember audio details and am confident I will know the differences. I'm not a professional reviewer, nor do I play one on TV, my listening time is limited these days with my 60 plus hour a week non-paying care-giving job and my girlfriend who likes me to be out at her place in the woods, and I just don't see myself setting up direct comparisons, would really be a not-so fun to accomplish chore with little personal benefit. I'm stuck with my upgrade, though I don't think it will be a problem for me.

« Last Edit: 08/02/14 at 17:36:58 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41
Send Topic Print