Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 23:36:11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 42
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 24423 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #30 - 02/26/14 at 16:07:49

This is probably "it". . . so why all the secrecy? A bit under-whelming,  as far as revelations go. . . we'll see. Could potentially be improved sound. But I'm not going to pay 6 large for this after buying two PWDs. If there's a PWD upgrade, I'd strongly consider at a good price.

http://www.audiostream.com

« Last Edit: 02/26/14 at 16:18:19 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #31 - 02/26/14 at 19:56:48

Hmmm. . .now Paul is saying three grand to upgrade from PWD. That's a lot. I'll probably be sticking with what I have, I am very happy with the sound.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 02/26/14 at 20:12:42

Lon...did you reach out to Paul directly?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 02/26/14 at 20:53:24

No, there's a thread on the PS Audio forum. I don't frequent that place much, but with this "news" forhtcoming I looked around. The cat is now out of the bag so he's talking about it.

Thread before the news was "leaked":

http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/6467/buried-treasure#Item_22

Thread once the news was out:

http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/6474/directstream#Item_11

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 02/26/14 at 21:40:50

Thanks for posting that Lon.  Unique concept, but 5K for new or 3K for an upgrade is a lot of coin.  I'm actually ok with what I have as well (for now Grin).  Cool concept though, hopefully he'll drop the price on these in a couple of years or run some specials every once in a while for those who want to upgrade.

Interestingly enough used PWD MK IIs are just starting to come down to price levels that a poor guy like me can start to afford and we may see a lot more of these coming into the used market from all the guys who are going to upgrade.  But a PWD MK II still doesn't do DSD, so I'm going to have to move on as I want to explore that a bit more.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #35 - 02/26/14 at 22:07:50

I like that "for now." Smiley

Yeah, I really don't have much interest in DSD as in files, but I can see how this MAY be a nice step forward in sonics for my disc sources (love my PWT). As you say, it might come down, there may be specials etc. We'll see, and we'll see reviews, and I agree, more used PWD IIs.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #36 - 02/26/14 at 22:48:44

Well, I guess I'm not going to jump on that bandwagon. If PSA did something like my Oppo, I'd be all over it. While I really do enjoy the sound of DSD, I'm not sure I enjoy it $6k worth (or whatever street price or "open box" price I can get it at).

I'd rather just put a Decware preamp in my chain and see if that gives my current files the air that DSD seems to bring.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/26/14 at 23:38:31

I don't think I am going to be an early adopter on this one.  I also find it hard to believe that this will replace the PW DAC in the product line but maybe I am wrong.  The NuWave DAC is at the $1000 price point and the DSD DAC jumps to $6000.  I think a price drop on the PW DAC might make sense.  1000, 3,500, 6000 to have a nice 3 product good , better, best lineup.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/27/14 at 01:01:14

Just thinking out loud here ...

What would be cool for $5000 though is if it had (2) high-quality analog input stages (with a option for Balanaced) and (1) HDMI Input For Blu-ray HD Audio.

What you would have here is a kick ass Preamp and DSD/HD Audio DAC that could do almost anything.

Then they should turn the PerfectWave Transport into a PerfectWave Universal Disc Player and they would have the perfect combo IMO that could cover/play almost everything that's out at this point.

« Last Edit: 02/27/14 at 01:01:33 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #39 - 02/28/14 at 13:11:50

Part 2 of the video is out - this sounds very interesting - it really sounds like they nit-picked this as best as they can, to make it the best it can be.

I'm interested now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv1XWedFgDY&feature=youtu.be

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 02/28/14 at 13:46:53

I don't do youtube, but I've been reading up on the product on the PS Audio forum, and it is interesting.

I made a mistake in building up a second system this last year that I am unlikely to use (as it seems I'm stuck in my caregiving role for ever and a day and I don't spend any quality time at my place). Had I not, I could afford a ZMA (with some sort of treble correction somehow) and an upgrade to the new PS Audio thing. Ah well, I have killer sound now, and I may be able to do these things in the future. Plus, I've been burned being an early adopter before, better to wait a bit.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #41 - 02/28/14 at 19:13:20

10-roger on the "early adopter" philosophy Lon.  Being "on point" is almost never a good thing.  The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.....

Having been in the software development biz for 30+ years... you never want to be on the receiving end of a beta release, there are always bugs - always....

but somebody also has to be first don't they?  and we are thankful for those that feel so inclined... Grin absolutely !!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/28/14 at 22:09:53

It seems that PS Audio better hope that not all all of us on the Decware site are in an age group that may cause us to not hear all of these wonderful details in the equipment they are producing! I know I'm getting closer everyday that goes by. I guess it could become like some other things in life its the thought that counts anyway! Ha Ha! But until then keep on spinning them and enjoy!

Finally a sunny day here in Ohio! Cold as H#%$ though.

Cheers!

Cool

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #43 - 02/28/14 at 22:21:54

Hey Digger...

never fear - there is a "pill" or an "app" for anything that we will ever need.!!!! Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 02/28/14 at 23:47:14

maddog07

Thank goodness for modern science! I'll need to get an upgrade for my hearing aid when one comes available!!!!          

Probably shouldn't joke about this stuff maybe the younguns will get a laugh out of it!

Life has been good!!!       Grin

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 42
Send Topic Print