Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/20/14 at 14:20:51

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 44
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 27125 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #315 - 07/23/14 at 22:43:50

Sent one of my PWD Mk IIs in for the upgrade today; verified I will get the new firmware. Going to be fun to hear when it comes back!

« Last Edit: 07/23/14 at 23:00:11 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #316 - 07/24/14 at 00:41:29

[left] Quote:
Lon said,
My opinion: buy one of the used PWD Mk IIs out there (one on audiogon right now for 1600). I think mine sounds amazing (well, one of mine) and then in time you could upgrade to the DS I bet.

@ Pal ~ I believe what Lon said has a lot of merit.  In a couple of years the price of the upgrades to DS will go down and you can hop in for a fraction of the cost, but in the mean time you will have the PWDII which IMO is better than the Schiit stuff.  Schiit is coming out with a reference DAC rumored to be just under $2000 though.

@ Stone  ...

I'm going to throw something else in the mix.  I have not heard it myself, but there is lots of positive feedback on the AMR DP-777.

It shuns the norm ESS Sabres chips and uses Gemini Digital Engine in combination with FPGA and DSP.  It contains 2 DACs (1) 32bit for Hi-Res/Hi-Def files and (1) 16bit exclusively for Redbook playback (so they are thinking about you Redbook guys).  It is a full blown analog and digital preamp (with 2 sets of analog inputs and one set of outs, not to mention all the digital inputs).  And it uses a unique valve input and output implementation.

Details Here:

« Last Edit: 07/24/14 at 09:39:09 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #317 - 07/24/14 at 00:43:33

Actually Hans, I have a feeling that the upgrade kit will not be avaiable much longer than a year from now. But. . . Pal could save up to that end, and have great sound in the meantime.

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #318 - 07/24/14 at 03:40:32

Lon,

Look forward to your comments on the DS.

I should have one here next week to compare to my Aesthetix Pandora Signature.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #319 - 07/24/14 at 03:54:30

Cool! That will be an interesting comparison.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #320 - 07/24/14 at 05:38:27

Quote:
kana813 said,
I should have one here next week to compare to my Aesthetix Pandora Signature.

The Aesthetix stuff is really nice gear.  I've heard their Preamp and it's top notch, but never head a lot about their DACs.  Do you pair that stuff up with the ARC Ref 75?  What speakers do you use with that?  Must sound really nice! Cool

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #321 - 07/24/14 at 13:23:13

Great idea Lon.  Underwood had a few new PWD's in stock for <2K.

I also hypothesize that we'll see a lot of the DS technology in a lower end PS Audio DAC that fills in the pricing gap they now have in their lineup.  Will likely require some patience though, as they probably want to get as much mileage from the DS as possible.  

With all this talk, I almost clicked purchase (with trade in) yesterday.  Not sure what stopped me to be completely honest.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #322 - 07/24/14 at 13:51:24

I know, it's hard to push the button. I wish you could get this kind of sound at a lower price point, but I just know it's not possible, there are a lot of factors that make this a good value even for this amount of money. To be honest what nearly held me back a half a dozen times was that the seasoned Mk II I have sounds astonishingly good. My girlfriend was dancing around in front of the stereo Monday as I've only ever seen her do in front of a live band (and taking items of clothing off too, which she doesn't do in front of a live band). She said "Damn these speakers sound GREAT" -- I told her the whole system sounds great, though the speakers are amazing it's all the other components too. Redbook on the Mk II is awesome, I can only imagine that the DS will be a bit better. .. upgrading at half the cost is just doable for me, I don't think I could do the whole price point if I had to.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #323 - 07/24/14 at 16:10:17

Thanks for the suggestions.  For some reason I haven't been getting the alerts when this thread is updated.

I'm going to hear the Chord QuteHD/EX tonight.  Maybe they will have a Chord Hugo (which supposedly tops it by a good margin).  The Chord DACs are FPGA based and that may be the key to the best redbook given how much praise there is on these DACs and the DS).

Still, I will check out the used PS Audio DACs.  Those are attractive prices and the upgrade path is also good.

I probably will not buy another Schitt DAC.  Just not good synergy with my system or sound I am trying to achieve.  It is more detailed than my cheap, everyday DAC, but not nearly as open.  

I am looking for openness and detail (close to the DS) but under $2K.  That combo may not be available, but I like the hunt.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #324 - 07/24/14 at 17:14:19

Pal...any chance you could compare the Chord Hugo directly to the DS in either your system or at LR's?  If so, that would be an awesome comparison.

LR...glad the 944's are back in your possession and you are enjoying the sweet music.  I really enjoy the ZMA/944 combo as well.  I have said this before, but there appears to be good synergy between these two.  Steve mentioned to me early on (when were discussing ZMA vs. Torii) that the combo would be hard to beat.  Together they make such great music it's easy to forget about the cost mismatch.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #325 - 07/24/14 at 17:42:18

The place I am going is not a PS Audio shop, but if I pop for one, we'd do the comparison at Raven's for sure.  One of the reviewers that reviewed both the Chord QuteHD and the Hugo is doing a DS review soon, so perhaps that will provide some insight.

As I said in an earlier post, the DS sound haunts me because it was so natural and real.  I remember that sound and hope they have a few of the selections I heard at Raven's handy.  If I hear that sound or something close in a lower priced DAC, it would be tough for the wallet not to open.

Here is the review of the Chord QuteHdEX :http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/576-chord-chordette-qute-ex-dac-update...

« Last Edit: 07/24/14 at 17:44:06 by Palomino »  

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #326 - 07/24/14 at 18:38:38

If you want I can pass you whatever files you need to test via Dropbox. I'm pretty sure I can hit my NAS from work and just move the files over.

I'm not sure if the shop would be setup well enough to easily load off a flash drive or whatever. I mean, I would if it were *my* shop - but what do I know. LOL

I'd be happy to have you over and crush whatever DAC you have with my DirectStream/ZMA combo. LOL

« Last Edit: 07/24/14 at 18:41:24 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #327 - 07/24/14 at 20:58:52

I just pulled the below specs from the PS Audio site.  I thought I had the output voltage straight, but am now confused again.  Are there two output levels on the DS, low and high?  Or should the below values be interpreted as average (1.4 RCA/3.15 XLR) and max (2.81 RCA/5.3 XLR)?

Analog Audio Output

Connector      RCA/XLR Unbalanced /Balanced (X2)
Output level, low: 1.41 Vrms(+5BV)/3.15
Output level high, maximum: 2.81 Vrms (+8dBV)/5.3 Vrms (+12dBV)

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #328 - 07/24/14 at 21:40:29

@ Palomino ~ just for kicks when your out DAC shopping test out the McIntosh D100.  They retail new for about $2500, but can be found used aroun $1900 (usually no woriies on used mac stuff as its built like a tank).  I've geard this DAC 3 times and walked away impressed, especially for the price ... Which (aside from their remote controls Smiley) I think it may be the least expensive piece of gear that McIntosh puts out, but still has the high-end classic Mac glass face plate and well built chassis, etc.

Review on Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/698941/review-the-stunning-mcintosh-d100

Review on The-Ear: http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/mcintosh-d100-digital-preamp-digital-prea...

On the ear review in particular he mentioned that it sounded as if everything was upsampled to DSD.  I heard this a week after hearing the DS and I felt the same thing, but unfortunately I couldn't A/B them so you know how hearing memory can be.  But check it out I think its a decent piece of equipment and sounded really good with tubes.

« Last Edit: 07/24/14 at 21:42:30 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #329 - 07/24/14 at 21:47:33

Yeah, it is confusing - the DS does have a -20db attenuation setting.

That said, this is what Ted posted in the DS thread on their forums.

Balanced: 2.8V RMS  or  8V p-p     300 Ohms
Unbalanced: 1.4V RMS  or  4V p-p     150 Ohms

and here is my Oppo for comparison.

Output Level: 2.1 Vrms (RCA) or 4.2 Vrms (XLR) at 0dBFS

My ears tell me there is a voltage difference, and it's the one thing I'm grumbling about with the DS. I've already swallowed the price and don't grumble about it anymore...but this sucks and means I might need a booster/preamp of some sort to get the density of sound I had with the Oppo or Otari.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 44
Send Topic Print