Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/27/14 at 13:26:55

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 45
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 32633 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #300 - 07/22/14 at 13:21:12

Very true about cables.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #301 - 07/22/14 at 19:13:02

Ted Smith said:

"The DS is about 3dB lower in output than many CD players or DACs. Most of us have much more than that amount of headroom so it's not usually a problem.  The thing is that the PWD is hotter than many DACs so some people have systems with no preamp that work with the PWD but perhaps not without a preamp with the DS.  (BTW other people have systems for which the PWD has too high of output level and are happy that the DS has a lower output level.)"

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #302 - 07/22/14 at 21:49:37

@ Kana813 ~ thanks for that!

After reading I would assume that one would get better performance from the DS using a Preamp, but  unfortunately if someone wants to go "balanced" then we have to look outside Decware at this point.  McGowan uses the somewhat expensive Balanced preamp from Aesthetix called the Calypso.  The Wyred4Sound STP-SE seems to be fully balanced at $1999 ... that may make a nice pairing.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #303 - 07/22/14 at 23:10:01

beowulf:

Ted Smith posted these specs for the DS outputs on the PS Audio forum:

Balanced: 2.8V RMS or 8V p-p 300 Ohms
Unbalanced: 1.4V RMS or 4V p-p 150 Ohms

LR's ZMA needs 2.0V on the SE inputs, I don't see any specs for the optional balanced inputs.

I'm going to try a DS with my REF 75, which needs 1.4V on it's balanced inputs.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #304 - 07/22/14 at 23:51:34

A few of the Decware amps have options for XLR inputs, but I think it's fair to say that they were designed to be SE.  

I remember asking Steve about the voltage needed for the ZMA to come to full volume with the balanced inputs, and it is also 2V.  

In my system, with the ZMA, I prefer the lower voltage RCA inputs (~2.8V) running the PS Audio PWD direct, so I think I would be ok with the balanced outputs on the DirectStream into the ZMA (also 2.8V).

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #305 - 07/23/14 at 04:18:13

I'm pretty sure the guys at PS Audio and forums are tired of hearing me say I wish there was more voltage for the input of my ZMA. They think I'm nuts.

A new review on the DS.

http://www.stereotimes.com/post/ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-dac/

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #306 - 07/23/14 at 11:51:30

After living with the great gain from my PS Audio MK 2s I'm leery of the new voltage from the DS, will just have to see. The only real problem I would have (using single-ended input) would be from my DVR, I'll likely have to use the "Narrow" DSP option but that's okay. I'd rather not use the CSP2+ (surprised me to discover I didn't prefer the preamp in front of the Mk 2).

Should be sending one of my Mk 2s back for an upgrade in a few days.

« Last Edit: 07/23/14 at 13:21:48 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #307 - 07/23/14 at 15:05:37

Thanks for the link Eric. Nice review.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #308 - 07/23/14 at 15:22:34

Well, my DS is on its way back. I enjoyed my time with it. My AA front end keeps me involved in the music where I can't justify keeping the DS for just Redbook. The good news is, it free's up some serious cash for potentially the Auralic Vega an others including the Benchmark DAC2 HGC! It's all good, an the fun journey an enjoying the music with my CSP3/ZMA combination continues!

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #309 - 07/23/14 at 15:33:45

Interesting. Personally if you're not keeping the DS I wouldn't bother with the other two but then we're different. Smiley

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #310 - 07/23/14 at 15:52:31

Wow, I'm surprised - Stone. I got my MG-944 back late last night, and I put some Beatles, Hugh Laurie, and Wailin' Jenny's on random last night and was again blown away by how much detail I get with the DS.

Plus, I really missed my 944s. They really sing with the ZMA.

Wait, did you ever try the new firmware?!?!

« Last Edit: 07/23/14 at 15:57:50 by Lonely Raven »  
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #311 - 07/23/14 at 18:28:19

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #312 - 07/23/14 at 20:36:12

Per that review: I have the Schit Bifrost (with the uber upgrade).   Yeah, I'd say there is a little difference with the DS...like about the size of Texas.

Given that Raven has once again spoiled me, I am going to hear a demo of the Chord CuteHD (or Ex).  It's supposed to do redbook well and is about 1/3 the price.  The fact that it does DS is a bonus.

If I hear something close to what I heard in the DS playing redbook, I will likely buy it.

I'm open to any other sub $2K suggestions if you guys have any.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #313 - 07/23/14 at 20:40:02

There was a thread about DACs, including the Hugo a few months ago. I tried to ignore it because I was quite happy with the Oppo till I heard the DirectStream.

If you could find something that renders music somewhere between the Oppo and the DS, for under $2000 - that would be a real winner.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #314 - 07/23/14 at 21:40:46

Pal,

My opinion: buy one of the used PWD Mk IIs out there (one on audiogon right now for 1600). I think mine sounds amazing (well, one of mine) and then in time you could upgrade to the DS I bet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 45
Send Topic Print