Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 06:58:27

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 44
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 27489 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #15 - 02/24/14 at 15:15:37

LOL, you guys beat me to it, I was just about to post this as well:

"We’ve spent the last 100 years of vinyl reproduction perfecting the art of pulling music out of those grooves.  We’re getting pretty good at it.

After 30 years of trying to do the same from the shiny silver discs, we’re getting better.

But there’s a lot of music buried in those little silver discs you’ve not yet heard.

You have a library full of buried treasure.

And soon you’ll have a treasure map that will unlock those secrets.

I am guessing right around March 1."

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 02/24/14 at 16:05:41

Lon wrote on 02/24/14 at 14:11:15:
I think this hype is leading up to the launch of the Digital Lens. That's my guess.

I keep forgetting he has said it will have a big price tag. So no idea, but from his hype I'd say it has a digital lens inside.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 02/24/14 at 16:33:34

Yeah, if that "more than the P10" thing is to be believed...ouch that hurts.

I'd really like to see what they next step is. Maybe CD Transport/DAC/Digital Lens in one - if it was a universal Disc player like my Oppo, I'd seriously consider it!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 02/24/14 at 17:11:37

Technology should go as far as it can help us, but no further.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/24/14 at 21:40:55

Quote:
LR said,
Yeah, if that "more than the P10" thing is to be believed...ouch that hurts.

I'd really like to see what they next step is. Maybe CD Transport/DAC/Digital Lens in one - if it was a universal Disc player like my Oppo, I'd seriously consider it!

Yes, a Universal Disc Player/DAC/Digital Lens all in one would certainly be a great product.  I just couldn't see paying $5000 for a CD player this day and age, or a company putting that much effort for a stand alone CD player since the sales of CD's have steadily declined since late 2000.

Although I know there are probably a lot of guys that still use CD's, but I'm not one of them.  Besides about 50 CD's, I'm all about vinyl and hi-res digital downloads ... I just skipped over the CD phase altogether.

What sounds interesting and coming up is the HDMI DACs that are able to de-embed the uncompressed LPCM 24.96K as 2.0, 5.1, or 7.1 soundtracks, ‘derived’ from the DTS MasterHD soundtrack but not requiring DTS decoding (which is essentially hi-res PCM).  DACs like the HDACC HDMI/USB DAC can do this, as well as the Oppo with some tweaking in the settings.

There is going to be support for this through Universal and a lot of titles are on the way.

Hopefully PS Audio is on this bandwagon!

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/25/14 at 01:49:11

Quote:
Yes, a Universal Disc Player/DAC/Digital Lens all in one would certainly be a great product.  I just couldn't see paying $5000 for a CD player this day and age, or a company putting that much effort for a stand alone CD player since the sales of CD's have steadily declined since late 2000.

Although I know there are probably a lot of guys that still use CD's, but I'm not one of them.  Besides about 50 CD's, I'm all about vinyl and hi-res digital downloads ... I just skipped over the CD phase altogether.

I hear you. It better not be a CDP. What would they say to all the PWT/PWD owners out there?

All I have ever known are CDs. I ditched tapes a while ago, and I have never owned a record. Sad, I know.

« Last Edit: 02/25/14 at 01:51:20 by busterfree »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/25/14 at 03:15:24

Agree ... for those who don't know ... Universal is going to be releasing a lot of titles:

From Universal:

Blu-ray Pure Audio Discs: No Compression, No Compromise.  Blu-ray Pure Audio Discs Offer True High-Resolution 24-bit/96kHz Audiophile Sound.

Universal Music Group has gone back to the original master tapes to deliver fully uncompressed, high-resolution versions of many of your favorite albums on Blu-ray Pure Audio Disc. Mastered at 24bit/96kHz, Blu-ray Pure Audio Discs deliver the sound the artists originally heard in the studio when these classic albums were recorded. These discs provide all the recorded musical information. While convenient due to their small file size, today’s heavily compressed music files do not represent the true fidelity of the original album.

•     Recordings are transferred from the original master tapes and delivered in high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz audio

•     No compression is utilized, and the sound quality is vastly superior to MP3 or standard CD

•     Three separate choices of audio file format for playback: PCM 2.0, Dolby True HD, or DTS-HD Master Audio (5.1 available where noted)

•     Your preferred audio format is chosen either by pressing the "Audio" button on your Blu-ray remote or via your onscreen menu display

Blu-ray Pure Audio Discs:

Audio is taken from the original master tapes and mastered in 24-bit/96kHz resolution with a choice of three sound formats: PCM, Dolby True HD, or DTS-HD Master Audio. You can finally enjoy the music in the fidelity originally experienced in the studio.  

I'm looking forward to grabbing some of these titles.  John Darko of Digital Audio Review reviewed Essence's HDMI DAC you can read it here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/02/blu-ray-audio-with-the-essence-hdacc-p...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 02/25/14 at 03:21:11

I have three of these Pure Music Blu-Ray Audio discs. The John Coltrane, the Miles Davis and the Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald. They sound pretty good. . . but the SACD of A Love Supreme (either one) sounds better imo for example, so I'm not exactly bowled over.

It's all about the mastering, and some of these aren't exceptional.

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/25/14 at 04:30:57

Quote:
Lon said,
I have three of these Pure Music Blu-Ray Audio discs. The John Coltrane, the Miles Davis and the Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald. They sound pretty good. . . but the SACD of A Love Supreme (either one) sounds better imo for example, so I'm not exactly bowled over.

It's all about the mastering, and some of these aren't exceptional.

Hi Lon, what are using to decode them?  Its my understanding that not every Blu-Ray can play these (although I could be wrong on that).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 02/25/14 at 11:10:01

You're not right there, they are made to play in any Blu-ray player, or at least they play in my US region player. I am using a Denon DCD-A100.

The only thing really special about them is that they can be played and started easily without a monitor.

It's all about the mastering. The three that I have sound pretty darned good, but as I say I think one of the SACDs is better for the Coltrane. Though the price for both are about the same, and the Blu-ray does have additional material (which I also have in Redbook). Overall this has led me to the conclusion that SACD may offer better sound, at least in my system (though both the Blu-ray player and the SACD player in the system are Denon 100th Anniversary products and excellent, the SACD is more a dedicated and less a universal player, and I think has a better analog output section) but I would need more comparisons to be definitive. I somehow don't think they will be releasing a lot of jazz titles in this series, and so I'm not really that excited. . . that is the genre I buy the most of.

« Last Edit: 02/25/14 at 14:51:02 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 02/25/14 at 19:42:07

Had a brief discussion with a friend regarding the PS Audio announcement and we think it could be the PS Audio PerfectWave Master Clock.

-Master Clocks exist as a product category (typically with very high end digital front ends or studio equipment (e.g. Apogee Big Ben)
-The clock would be a PW line extension and wouldn’t replace either the PW Transport or DAC.
-Previous claims made about master clocks include improved imaging, better resolution of detail and music with more control, authority and power
-There has been a lot of discussion about timing and jitter on the PS Audio forums that could indicate a new device that offers significant improvement in this area

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 02/25/14 at 20:18:11

Quite possible. Good guess.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 02/26/14 at 01:42:35

Quote:
Lon said,
You're not right there, they are made to play in any Blu-ray player, or at least they play in my US region player. I am using a Denon DCD-A100.

The only thing really special about them is that they can be played and started easily without a monitor.

Yes you're right there ... any Blu-Ray player can play them, but only players with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio can decode the true hi-res Master Tape Soundtracks buried within the disc.  I'm not sure if these are standard formats on most players at this point in time or not.

But I wholly agree about the Mastering making all the difference though. Cool

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 02/26/14 at 02:06:51

Quote:
Posted by: Dave1210      Posted on: Today at 11:42:07
Had a brief discussion with a friend regarding the PS Audio announcement and we think it could be the PS Audio PerfectWave Master Clock.

-Master Clocks exist as a product category (typically with very high end digital front ends or studio equipment (e.g. Apogee Big Ben)
-The clock would be a PW line extension and wouldn’t replace either the PW Transport or DAC.
-Previous claims made about master clocks include improved imaging, better resolution of detail and music with more control, authority and power
-There has been a lot of discussion about timing and jitter on the PS Audio forums that could indicate a new device that offers significant improvement in this area

Would the Master Clock go between the PWT and PWD?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 02/26/14 at 02:26:23

beowulf wrote on 02/26/14 at 01:42:35:
Yes you're right there ... any Blu-Ray player can play them, but only players with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio can decode the true hi-res Master Tape Soundtracks buried within the disc.  I'm not sure if these are standard formats on most players at this point in time or not.

But I wholly agree about the Mastering making all the difference though. Cool

But they all have an uncompressed PCM track that all players should be able to decode. And very few of these have 5.1 tracks, and not any I would buy, and I don't do 5.1 anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 44
Send Topic Print