Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/25/14 at 09:52:52

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 44
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 27833 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #255 - 07/09/14 at 20:56:00

The recording is blue bossa and the tune in my test list is "Intuil Paisagem." It is good for tuning in many ways...nice airy voice, sort of soft, a little mushy bass and soft kick so a good reference for sorting bass sound and placement of the drums and bass. Guitar has nice natural finger feel...sax is sweet but pushes hard at one point, and the stage too.

If you like old school Bossa Nova, check out the whole recording. It has a traditional core played without self consciousness of trying to be new, or trying to be old...pretty honest music to me. I think I got it from Chesky.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #256 - 07/09/14 at 21:17:02

I'm pretty sure I have that one in my digital collection somewhere. I tried, but I just couldn't get into it. It does sound like a good test tune though!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #257 - 07/10/14 at 04:54:34

Wow, scratch that - great tune! I do have this in HD, but I don't recall having listened to it. This is some wide soundstage!

will
Seasoned Member

Reply #258 - 07/10/14 at 05:09:43

Glad to hear it!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #259 - 07/11/14 at 14:28:56

I had a great listening session last night. I was honestly supposed to be doing some testing of the Oppo vs DirectStream and the Oppo with the video out setting set to 720p vs 1080p while doing critical listening (supposedly makes a difference). And I was supposed to be trying out new software like Foobar and/or working on the issues with my JRiver/Win8.1 software.

But what happened was I received a .5m Pangea USB cable from Amazon to replace the 10' generic one I've been using (wasn't sure if generic cable was causing software problems or not) - and the system simply sounded great last night - DirectStream playing CD Rips and HD Files -> Mystery Amp -> MG944. It was so vibrant, live sounding, and detailed - very enthralling! I pretty much sat there for hours playing through some great albums, and putting on some single tracks looking for new demo tunes. Played through Abby Road, Dusty Springfield - in Memphis, Queen, Steve Ray Vaughan, I don't recall what all. I was all over the place just letting the deep cuts play. Oh yeah, I even played Michael Jackson - Thriller while Brianne cooked dinner. What an amazing sounding album on a good system! Edit to Add: Queen hurts - I love Queen, I grew up on it, and it's the one band I regret not seeing in their hayday. But their recordings are *painful*. Somebody to Love is just so screechy and harsh. Bohemian Rhapsody was OK, and newer ones like I'm Going Slightly Mad was highly compressed and loud, but good to listen to. I guess even the DS/ZMA combo can't fix what is simply poorly recorded music.

What a great friggen session that was! I got absolutely nothing done last night except to spin tracks. And honestly, this happened after replacing the USB cable - so either it was just one of those great listening nights, or maybe USB cables do have something to them? More to test and play with I guess!

I have a critical listening session with some friends on Tuesday - one's been listening with me for 15 years now, and the other enjoys music, but is very new to this "audiophile thing" and is simply blown away by my setup. Let's see what they think of the new DAC! Edit to Add: My newbie audiophile friend knows I have the DS DAC, but my long time listening buddy does not. I'm not going to say anything, and just press play and see what they say.  :)

« Last Edit: 07/11/14 at 20:38:07 by Lonely Raven »  
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #260 - 07/11/14 at 18:36:27

LR,

That is really exciting!

Funny, with revealing gear like we have, conceptually it seems obvious that everything in the system reflects the front end (and everything that is a part of it...transport, player software, computer, feet, cables, power supply etc). The whole deal is enlivened or inhibited by what makes up the front!

But then with so many options out there ...the opinions and language for descriptions all pretty much similar for the popular stuff.... financial thoughts, can it be enough better than what we have?

Then we introduce Decware, with the potential to go beyond in terms of subtle revelation...introducing another layer for the necessity for really complete beginnings, middles and endings!%^&* ....while also revealing gear insufficiencies when the system/room is capable of all the sweet micro stuff that completes music...... It seems a little daunting.

Then it shows up, offering all the usual sound attributes really beautifully, but also the subtle details, the stuff between the lines so to speak....Holy crap, life changes!

In turn, system/room refinement gets easier and more exciting...

All toward the amazing captivation by the love of music like last night!

It is so amazing we get to do this! So amazing....Thanks for the story.

« Last Edit: 07/11/14 at 18:43:51 by will »  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #261 - 07/11/14 at 20:43:05

I'm hearing talk of some people saying the DS DAC needs 300-500 hours of burn in. Ted wouldn't comment on how long burn in needs, but he did say the low temp parts he spec'd probably makes the burn in longer. I think either the USB cable change last night either made a bigger difference then I expected, or maybe the DS DAC leveled up (so to speak). I'm probably close to 100 hours with one week behind me, and letting the DAC play 5 hours on 5 hours off with the occasional overnight random-track burn in.

Eventually I'm going to get the room cleaned up and get back to using the Herbies iso-cups and cones and all that stuff...I've been so busy with other things, I really don't have my equipment situation cleaned up, sorted out, and in best "setup". Let's hope that sorting out the setup will improve on micro-details. Then, if all works out well, in another week or two I might have some HR-1 to try out.   Smiley

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #262 - 07/11/14 at 22:14:54

Lonely Raven wrote on 07/11/14 at 20:43:05:
I think either the USB cable change last night either made a bigger difference then I expected, or maybe the DS DAC leveled up (so to speak).

It might be a bit of both but I bet that the cable made a bigger difference than you expected and there's still more burn-in to follow.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #263 - 07/12/14 at 18:58:13

Quote:
It might be a bit of both but I bet that the cable made a bigger difference than you expected and there's still more burn-in to follow.

I hope your right, Lon. The one thing that could make the DS better right now, is if it sweetened up a bit. It's not harsh or edgy (except for maybe the first few hours of life), and not clinical like the Oppo - but a little sweetness would be just the right topping on this ice cream.  :)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #264 - 07/16/14 at 18:02:52

Well, I got my first real listen to the DS.  I don't count the cluster that happened at AXPONA.  Anyway, I went over the Raven's nest last night for a short listening session.

We listened to Summertime - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong, Summertime - Wailin' Jennys, Tin Pan Alley - Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lucky Man - ELP, Here comes the Sun - Beatles and Billy Jean - Michael Jackson (yes, Michael Jackson)

To be honest, I am not sure that I can differentiate between what was being added by the Mystery Amp or the DS, but I can say that these two paired together produce some wonderful music and some great synergy.

Focus, timbre, air were all fantastic.  All of the instruments were extremely well separated, distinct and all real sounding.  Most of all, I was impressed with the way it let the true mix (or at least what I perceived to be the true mix) come through.

Billie Jean is not a song I listen to, nor do I own, but after hearing that mix, I really could understand the brilliance of Quincy Jones.  That mix is just excellent and downright fun.

Lucky Man is a fairly dated recording, but the mix and the sound of the bass drum behind the lead singer was extremely engaging.  The clarity of the mix even on Here Comes the Sun really of draws you in.

Not wanting to give in to the hype, I didn't tap my toes, but I certainly found myself wanting to.   Damn, its true.

So again, I can say this is a killer combo.  Next step will be to listen to it again with Raven's HR1s, but it was already killer with the 944s.

Also, I want Raven to bring this DAC over to my place so I can hear it in my room and get a better sense of sound stage.  Raven will admit he needs those diffusers built for his room and they could take it to an even higher level.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #265 - 07/16/14 at 18:43:48

Thanks for posting that. Another great listening session!

I'm glad you brought me to reality by reminding me how important the ZMA is. I'm just so used to it doing everything right, that I don't even question what it's doing anymore. The Oppo/ZMA is a great mix, especially with XLR - the DirectStream sure takes it up a notch!

Nate and I continued listening for another half hour after you left, then reviewed what he heard/learned. He had a great way of describing the Oppo compared to the DS. He said the Oppo was like taking a photo and running it through a sharpening filter in Photoshop. It's  got lots of detail, but at the expense of sharp edges. Whereas the DS is just presenting the music as it is. Even cranked up as loud as we had it last night, it wasn't edgy or fatiguing. After 4 hours of listening, I had a slight ringing in my ears at the end, but was really ready for more!

Two things I took away about my setup in last nights listening session: Garbage in - Garbage out.  The Who's - Who's Next (Steve Hoffman mix) was good to listen to, but not much difference between the Oppo and DS was minimal. But then on a great recording the DS really shines and leaves the Oppo in the dust with clean detail, timing, timbre and accuracy. The second thing: good recordings, even in my crummy L shaped room with beamie 944 speakers with small sweet spot, sounded HUGE. Even sitting back and slightly off center as I was, everything sounded HUGE. It must have been amazing for Nate in the sweet spot, even if we pushed him up a bit - bobsled style.

I'm glad I'm going out of town for a couple day, I really feel I need a break from music for a bit. Last night was almost overwhelming. LOL

« Last Edit: 07/16/14 at 18:44:34 by Lonely Raven »  
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #266 - 07/17/14 at 08:40:36

Hi,

I want to just to share my experience. I am 52 years old now and start listening to hifi stereo system all Luxman system and Altec speakers  with vinyl record player 40 years ago, then move to Nakamichi tape and finally CD. But for CD, I still feel that it is not analog or organic sound like vinyl record or tape.

I just move to Mac mini as audio comp server to replace my Accuphase CD player. I am finding the music software which is fit to my system and my taste. It is Pure Vinyl music software. Now the point is that when I try Pure Vinyl, there are two modes for you to select
1) Maximum Fidelity.
2) NOS. (Classic).  NOS = Non-OverSampling.
Mode Maximum Fidelity gives you sound quality as current modern Hifi sound as same as all other music software like Amarra, Audirvana and Bitperfect. It is excellent but I feel that it is not analog or organic sound. It is a digital sound, very accurate, details, very extending high and low bottom. Very pin point precision sound stage but it is not floating. I feel that the sound is dry, no live. If I compare it with photo. It like very sharp picture, very details but edgy. It is not smooth natural color gradient transition. The picture is not 3D looking as picture from film era.

But when I play with mode NOS Classic. I know suddenly that its sound is what I am looking for. It is the same character of sound quality when you are playing vinyl record and tape. Its sound is more dense and round. Its sound stage is like 3D, the instruments are floating but not precise location as mode fidelity. The sound is not deep as fidelity but it is wider. I feel that its sound is more live, not dry even its details is lower than mode fidelity. But I hear more ambient sound, more trimbre, particularly classical music.

I want to share this information because you can try Music Vinyl with 15 days trial period. You will know two types of sound characters between Max Fidelity and NOS Classic. Then you will know which direction of sound you should chase.  

If you like Max Fidelity, then your DAC should be sigma-Delta type and DSD.

If you like Tape and Vinyl record sound character, it is NOS Classic type. Then you should use Pure Vinyl with mode NOS. (there is only this software with this function as I know).  And DAC should be NOS DAC type, not delta sigma DAC and not DSD.

It is free 15 days trial of Pure Vinyl of different modes of Max Fidelity and NOS Classic. You can do trial at your home without any extra cost. And you will know what kind of sound character you are looking for.

For me, I am analog guy with digital era. I use Pure Vinyl software. Now my DAC  is still Accuphase DAC which is delta sigma DAC. I have already ordered Audio Note DAC 3.1 fully upgrade to try later. (Audio Note uses NOS DAC chip, not delta sigma chip). Now I know which sound I chase and which equipment I should chase.

Last ZMA is awesome!  It is a great great great amp.

Accuphase CD/SACD DP77 player, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, XLO Purple Rush power cord
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle RCA IC. Synergistic Research Tesla Reference power cable.
Avalon Avatar speakers. MIT Oracle speaker cable.
Hydra 8. ZSB. Kubala Sosna Emotion PC
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #267 - 07/17/14 at 12:43:21

I definitely think there is something to what you've said about determining what kind of sound you like.  I had a conversation with Steve along those same lines but focused on speakers.  He talked about the Hifi sound (classic) versus audiophile sounding speakers.  The latter being more precise. Currently I have assembled a system which mostly provides the classic Hifi sound.

What impressed me about the DS was that it was neither too open and airy nor to precise and sharp.  With the ZMA it produced just the right amount of each and gave me the sense of being what the engineer intended with an instrument reality that I haven't heard before.

Upon listening to my system after returning home it sounded too open and unfocused where I thought I had been getting acceptable clarity and openness at the same time.

I have a bit of a bias against high end because I just can't put money In to that right now but this seems to me to be a great example of getting what you pay for and giving you reality and not a bias in one direction or another.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #268 - 07/17/14 at 17:29:27

Palomino wrote:
"What impressed me about the DS was that it was neither too open and airy nor to precise and sharp.  With the ZMA it produced just the right amount of each and gave me the sense of being what the engineer intended with an instrument reality that I haven't heard before".

......and with the ZMA (so exceptional)....Timbre/Tone!

I just got back from vacation last night...an taking this day to catch up on everything around here...and getting nothing done...the open door to my Listening room....keeps bringing me in an sitting me absorbed in the music.  I am afraid to do the FW update... . I am in no hurry...even though I keep saying to myself do it!  

Yes, big expense...but I am not returning it.  I can't be without it-I can't go back.  

I will go without a few other things for awhile (a pretty long while).  

Oh, an for me, the ZMA with the CSP3 is a must. Yes, down the road I will try the DAC directly to the ZMA. Right now though....the Synergy of these three (PS Audio PerfectWave DS DAC/CSP3w/Cap Upgrade/ZMA) are all a man could ask for and then some............................... . Cool

It took 30 years Sony/Philips!  But, Ted figured it out!  Our extensive Redbook collections live!

I have also been at this game for 35 years. I have had the NAD 51's...the PWD MkII's... .....the Oppo's in...and out/returned they all went.

So, for a DAC to come along an best my AA gear/Pro32 and 3.0 DAC PMD 100 Filter Chip/Prof Johnson an Prophecy Cryo Silver i2s ...not just equaling it/but beating my AA gear an trashing the above mentioned....is saying something from my perspective.

« Last Edit: 07/17/14 at 18:28:07 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats