Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/20/14 at 19:37:24

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 35038 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #180 - 06/24/14 at 14:42:52

Well, I expect it to not be as amazing as all the hype, but it will still likely be a step up for me.

I love the Transport, I have two and they are not going anywere. They improve Redbook on everything I've tried it with (two SACD players that allow you to access their DACs--using the Transport in gave improved sound than using the internal transport in the SACD players.) I can see why you may not need it but I sure love mine.

Wait til fall, they'll work out the bugs and all will be well. I'm not that sure you would actually get one NOW if you ordered it now, that's not the picture I seem to be getting from the forums there, but maybe so. If you wait til fall though there may be several firmware changes. Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #181 - 06/24/14 at 15:08:35

So true on all counts Lon. Hey, thanks for the Audioshark Link from your post #147.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #182 - 06/24/14 at 15:21:44

Yes, nice to read actual users going through their experiences.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #183 - 06/24/14 at 15:37:13

Yes! Great thread at Audioshark.

The founder Mike and Administrator...what a Main System he has. Holy buckets on the TaraLabs Omega Gold Speaker Cables & TaraLabs 0.8 Interconnects too... .

Decware (SE84CS, Super Zen CKC an Zen Mystery Amplifier with CSP3) with Steve's custom cyroed Jupiter Bee's Wax Silver Lead Caps in the 3 an ZMA...CKC...with my Kimber Select RCA IC 1030 an Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable....and soon to have PS Audio DSD DAC....I'm not complaining here...... .  :)

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #184 - 06/24/14 at 15:43:50

Yes, I don't envy anyone's system any longer. The seasoned Torii Mk III with Jupiter caps is perfect for me, the HR-1s are all the speakers I'll ever need, and I have two systems with these as the heartbeat! When the DSD arrives I'm sure it will sound fantastic straight into the Torii as the PWD Mk2 does--I tried that again on a lark some weeks back and I now can't reconfigure wtih the CSP2+ with Jupiter caps, the CSP2+ is not needed, I now have one for my SACD and ZP3 to go into the Torii, and one in my second system, and a third in the closet, just not needed in the main system as it used to be.

Decware owners have life GOOD.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #185 - 06/24/14 at 16:05:39

Yes, Decware owners have a good life. This is a good time for me to clear something up. The disdain people here and elsewhere, have, for High End Cables.

YOU don't need them in my 30 years of experience with high res Speakers. I own the Zen Styx and they are wonderfully competent into my Parker 95's (WITH Hovland Music Caps on each too)! I have never sold them and use them periodically with the Zen Styx in my main Rig! They are a little dry sounding...but on well recorded Blues the 95's are very nice.

However, having said this...I don't like the Parker's or ANY I've had in the high efficiency speaker realm for much else...for the Music I like. I just sold my RF-7 II Klipsch. IT does not make them wrong (high eff)...just wrong for me.

Now, when running the 3 pair of Speaker's I like and mate well with my Decware Amplifiers...I need my Kimber Select....it is a whole other level in musicality for me. .........For me.

I can respect every System here...and I do. I can also respect Mike's - System...the Forum Founder and Administrator at Audioshark.

http://audioshark.org/computer-digital-audio-11/ps-audio-directstream-dac-4438-p...

So, I've been to Decware 2005 and 08/love Steve's Amplifier's an Speakers...I've been part of the Minnesota Audio Society....I've heard the System's like Mike's. I feel I have put the best of both world's FOR ME...with Decware ... Kimber Select ....and the PS DSD DAC pending.  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #186 - 06/24/14 at 16:19:15

I used the Zen Styx in my main system for years, and still use them everyday in the system I have at my parents'.

There are definitely better cables, and spending money will have some rewards. I didn't want to spend big bucks and tried the Mapleshade Double Helix Plus. Didn't know if they would better the Styx but they certainly did, I'm VERY happy with them in all manners. Some day I may try VooDoo Cable speaker cables as I believe that their interconnects are just amazing for the money. . . .

Anyway, some of us have the luxury of both time and money for seeking out the final percentages of sound. For those who don't, and for me when I didn't, the basic Decware items all work astonishingly well together and give one excellent excellent sound.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #187 - 06/25/14 at 15:07:27

No doubt Decware is top notch thru an thru.

Duly noted about not using the pre with the PS Audio DSD DAC (#184 post) when I get it. I will Listen to the DAC without my CSP3 for 150 hours before putting my 3 back in the chain.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #188 - 06/25/14 at 15:41:04

To be honest Stone, reading through the impressions of the DS it is like the PWD: should take more than 400, 500 hours maybe, to be really through burn-in and what it actually sounds like. It might actually be better to listen with the CSP3 for the first 400 and then try it without. . . .

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #189 - 06/25/14 at 16:04:07

Good point Lon. I was just reading over at Audioshark about doing just that and I made the mistake of not putting more hours on the MKII last August. ...So yes, 400 hours on it with the CSP3 then try it without...  I love the CSP3...for me it is sheer transparency and dynamic.

I just got off the phone with Music Direct....they have them in stock, in both Black and Silver! So ships today...... .  However, I need to wait until Friday to order. I will call Friday (I have a direct contact) and I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday next week....in my Rig!  

Damn the Torpedo's and full speed ahead.
Engage Mr. LaForge!

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #190 - 06/25/14 at 16:17:22

Cool. The CSP is pretty transparent and dynamic. . . but. . . well I now prefer my PWD straight in and that's unexpected.

You'll be the first on the block with the DS. Yes, they need time, I think the PWD would have impressed you more with a few more weeks. I think you'll take the DS to the distance!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #191 - 06/25/14 at 16:53:44

I will take it the distance. I put 481 hours on my ZMA and 118 on my CSP3 before I stopped recording/counting. I will monitor an enjoy every step of the way with the DSD DAC.

I like the credibility reviews of the DSD over at Audioshark. They know it is for Redbook improvement. I also enjoy the talk of it equaling a DAC when decoding Redbook that is 4X its price.

I wish it was only $3800. However, food and gas prices since the summer of 2005 have doubled....so why shouldn't the price of a dragon slayer state of the art DAC damn near double too.  They will raise the price of this DAC and the upgrade kit by fall I speculate. It is happening now...for me...I will report back with any initial impressions late next week.   -Stone

« Last Edit: 06/25/14 at 17:01:05 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #192 - 06/25/14 at 18:05:55

I forgot to mention....pretty darn excited too!  

Yes, I will also contain my honeymoon excitement. The real test will be as it was for the Zen Mystery Amp at 500+ hours; do I love it = yes. The ZMA passed with flying colors.

My hope is the same enthusiasm for the DSD DAC at 500+ hours (I have for my ZMA), decoding most of my CD collection with musicality expected.  -Cheers

« Last Edit: 06/25/14 at 18:18:40 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #193 - 06/25/14 at 18:44:58

From what I heard this weekend, I don't doubt you'll like the DS. It played music with ease and neutrality, but still with all the detail you can imagine. I couldn't tell if it had a good sense of space because people kept talking during the demos - but the reviews say this is good as well.

Comparing it to the Oppo BDP-105, the Oppo sounded good, but the DS sounded GREAT. The image the DS throws was much larger compared to the Oppo. As soon as we switched to the Oppo, it sounded good, but everything sounded flat, like it was a 2' deep image 12' wide rather than being 12' deep and 12' wide.

Edit to add: I think the DS was connected to the amp (don't even know what it was) via RCA. I'm pretty sure though that the DS connected via XLR to the Mystery Amp would have the presence and density that would bring it closer to the analog sound of 1/4" two track tape. I look forward to hearing how this works for you...I'm scheming to get a DS myself. If I can find 12 months same as cash financing somewhere, I'd be on the waiting list.  :)

« Last Edit: 06/25/14 at 18:48:43 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #194 - 06/25/14 at 21:44:24

LR, you know you have to get one and thanks for these observations. I would have got there on the spur of the moment too if I were closer (the Audio Society Meet). We will be enjoying  it for a very long time. I am very fortunate to pull it off now. I might have to use my Select an CKC for awhile and get my ZMA back to Steve for XLR.

I keep telling myself I don't need XLR...but I have to hear it.

I propose this: Sometime in August or September, I drive down to your place, Palomino's place or to Steve's with...

DSD DAC
Kimber Select IC & Speaker Cable
Two pair of my Speakers

I would like to compare what I like to hear to what you guys like to hear. I think a lot of good could come from this!  I will either be keeping what I have...OR...selling my stuff on Audiogon or just adding some High Efficiency Speakers to my rotation... .

I know, I know...I just said above/a couple posts up, I don't like Hi-eff Speaks'....but I keep an open mind==and try all combinations a dozen times and again a year or two later.

« Last Edit: 06/26/14 at 17:44:31 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats