Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/20/14 at 12:21:13

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 45
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 34980 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #165 - 05/30/14 at 19:38:58

Actually Dave, taking into account your observations and doing a little more varied listening today I think I can hear that thinness you are talking of. The CSP2+ does flesh this out but does compress the overall width of the soundstage just a tiny bit and probably by obscuring details a tad. Or it could be cabling related as well, haven't eliminated that yet. I still feel that the Oppos I've heard are plagued with thinness, maybe a bit different, possibly a bleaching of the lower midrange, but I'm relying on audio memory--I think mine is pretty well-trained but it's far from perfect.

I did a little isolation component adjustment and the sound of the PWD Mk 2 directly into the Torii Mk III is stunning on some sources, and a bit better with the CSP2+ in the system on others. It's a bit fun today to experiment as I'm in a mellow mood after a late night of fun and an okay morning at my parents' place.

« Last Edit: 05/30/14 at 19:53:16 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #166 - 05/30/14 at 19:49:01

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 05/30/14 at 22:31:17

Lon…I didn’t even think about firmware.  If I recall correctly, I have version 2.4.3 installed.  I will check when I get home.  What version are you using?

I did the last DAC firmware update pre-ZMA.  I remember reading in the PS Audio forums that some people were experiencing a thinner sound with 2.4.3, but I didn’t experience any thinness when I updated my firmware (SuperZen vs. ZMA).  It might be time for me to do a DAC firmware comparison with the ZMA.  

What’s interesting is that overall I wouldn’t describe my system as thin or lacking body (and I don’t think anyone else who has heard it would either), but when comparing the two front ends, it couldn’t be more obvious that the Oppo has a lot more weight/body.  

I think I need to get a better sense for how close both of these devices are to ‘Just about right’ for weight/body.  As in, is it possible that the Oppo has a little (or much) too much weight/body.  I do remember taking notes when listening to a Keb Mo track (when he hit the body of the guitar) that it sounded slightly unnatural/bloated, so maybe that’s what is going on here.

In summary, I clearly need to do some more experimentation…

Thanks for experimenting with your setup and providing observations. I always find these to be helpful.  As I experiment further, I will post my learning.

Also, thanks for posting links to the latest DS review.  I look forward to reading.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #168 - 05/30/14 at 22:41:21

Dave, I don't remember specifically what the firmware was but it's very early if not the earliest. I did one update a few years ago, prefered the original configuration and went back to that, have never touched them again on either PWD I have, and both had the same firmware.

That's an interesting review of the DS. Makes me anxious to hear it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #169 - 06/10/14 at 15:14:45

6moons review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/psaudio/1.html

They come to bold and extremely positive conclusions.

« Last Edit: 06/10/14 at 15:30:18 by Lon »  

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 06/10/14 at 16:40:38

I really love the simplicity of Ted Smith's design.  No doubt this is one of the best DACs I've personally heard and would be within my top 5 if I had the coin.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #171 - 06/10/14 at 16:43:50

Ugh, I want one so bad! I wonder if Brianne would still love me with only one kidney.

And no car.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 06/10/14 at 19:27:58

Quote:
LR said,
Ugh, I want one so bad! I wonder if Brianne would still love me with only one kidney.

And no car.

LOL!!! Grin

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #173 - 06/24/14 at 00:30:53

Saw Paul and the DirectStream at the Chicago Audio Society meet yesterday. I found out about this last minute and drove up with Brianne. Paul was great as always, and I got to poke at the DS myself, and put it up against an Oppo BDP-105. Yeah, the DirectStream crushed the Oppo, and is the closest to tape I've heard so far.

Sorry for the crappy video, it was done on a camera phone - I'm trying to figure out how to bump up the quality a bit, but I really don't upload videos to you tube often.

http://youtu.be/okG-pRzz1w4

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #174 - 06/24/14 at 00:36:20

Nice that you got to hear it! I'm going to be sending one of my DAC Mk 2s back to be converted to the DS soon. (Though I won't be listening til after July 20, as I'm getting two weeks off from the dreadful monotony of my "job" here starting July 5 and going to Texas for a bit then spending a few days with my new gf here).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #175 - 06/24/14 at 02:57:58

I look forward to your impressions Lon. I plan to buy one.

Cool LR, 58 Buddy Holly from Redbook per Paul!

.....reading the 6moons review..... .

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #176 - 06/24/14 at 03:39:35

It 's all about the Redbook! Our CD collections will thank us Lon!!!! I for one look forward to using it with an without my CSP3. The 3 is so damn transparent an dynamic! I am currently enjoying it with my SE84CS....then to my CKC next. Then of course, back to my ZMA.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #177 - 06/24/14 at 13:17:51

Well we'll see. My PS Audio DAC Mk 2 amazes me still, it's hard to believe the full breadth of the hype of this new DS. (That it crushes an Oppo and several other DACs doesn't necessarily impress me, I feel my DAC Mk 2 does as well).  But I want to be pleased with it.  We'll see.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #178 - 06/24/14 at 14:09:03

Yes, I will readily admit I should have given my combo (the Tport an DAC Mk2) more time. So I would be skeptical too Lon...in your shoes.

However, I did not have the original Firmware that you have. The current Firmware I had and the current Firmware that was available last August...I was not happy with. PS Audio does not offer "way back" Firmware. No surprise you and Dave were discussing this issue...in this thread.  A very common theme over on the PS Forums as well....not liking the current Firmware...can't go back at least 2 or 4 generations they or I would like...if I recall correctly.... .

In the current 6moons review you posted, I like how he makes it clear why should or why would their be a Firmware upgrade for the DSD DAC?!
However, if their is (in my opinion)....think twice about it and make sure you can go back...to Firmware you have (at least one generation back).

Here is another good one...skip part I (you know)...II an III are the goods.  

http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/2014/05/directstream-i.html

Opps, sorry...need more coffee....you posted the BlogSpot bitperfect above.

« Last Edit: 06/24/14 at 14:18:08 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #179 - 06/24/14 at 14:30:43

Music Direct has access to new stock as of midnight today. I'm so tempted to order one!  I need to wait until fall. I will be buying one. I am excited about all the chatter here on the forum and other forums about the Cymbals sound an decay!  My Kimber Select does such a good job with Decware in fleshing this out further....add the DSD....lets roll baby! I like the fact the DSD DAC will accept everything with aplomb! I don't need the PS Transport buffer holder... .

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-209323-ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-dsd-dac.as...

« Last Edit: 06/24/14 at 14:36:51 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats