Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/21/14 at 03:41:32

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 44
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 27221 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

PS Audio about to ...
02/14/14 at 02:08:24

In McGowan's own words ..."shake up the world of high-end audio.  In a big way."

Hmmm, I bet it's not the class D amp they scrapped Grin

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #1 - 02/14/14 at 03:07:07

Yeah, I was reading that. With my luck, it's a new P10 that's half the price and twice the features. LOL

Since the P3 and Power Base are on sale, I'm thinking it's something power related.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/14/14 at 04:08:01

Well in the comments on his website he mentioned that is was slightly more expensive than the P10 so I think you're safe on the cheaper aspect Grin

« Last Edit: 02/14/14 at 04:34:10 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/15/14 at 06:17:25

I'm thinking this might be a new PerfectWave DAC MK III with DSD capabilities that can stream over a network.  In an email exchange with them a year or so ago they said that one was in the works.

Today I listened to DSD files playing through the AURALiC VEGA DAC and it is the best digital I've heard to date.

Of course they were hooked up to a pair of Rogue Audio Apollo Mono Blocks, Vandersteen 5aCarbon Speakers, Shunyata Triton/Typhon Power Distributor and all cables were Shunyata's garden hose sized ΞTRON cables. Grin

Me and my son were drooling for a half hour or so, but when we got home and played our new records through our little Decware, Omega and Rega kit (at a fraction of the cost) we were almost there.

My point is that the DSD itself was awesome ... I really liked that DAC A LOT!  And other than the PWD MK II it's the first DAC (that I've heard) that I liked better than the Rega DAC I have (there's something about that little Rega DAC that's very musical to me, but I can see DSD in my future ... I'm hoping this format catches on more predominantly).

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 02/16/14 at 02:50:58

I play DSD through my Oppo - I really like these files. I just wish the albums were $40 each.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 02/18/14 at 21:32:16

I don't think it's a new PWD. I think it may be the Digital Lens finally. We'll see.

No wait a minute, that should be cheaper than a P10.

Don't know. Almost afraid to find out.

« Last Edit: 02/18/14 at 21:33:16 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #6 - 02/18/14 at 21:48:24

What's the thing here with McGowan and ps audio.? Neither the name or the products are well known here up north

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 02/18/14 at 21:53:59

Well, Paul has been talking about the digital lens for a while...judging from what you just said, Lon, I guess they never had it out, or incorporated into any gear?

From what Paul's said in his little blog, he made it sound like the gear has had this feature for years, or maybe *could have* had it.

Regardless, I don't think you could do the lens by itself, it sounded like the lens was *part* of the DAC, the final step before it goes analog in fact.

That said, Paul mentioned that if listening to different sources sounded *different* (same source media, just different "source"), then maybe he'd have to investigate further, and he might have to delay the release of the new product - or at least hinted at that. If the digital lens were working perfectly, the media file from USB, HDMI, NAS, whatever, should all sound exactly the same - but it's not.

« Last Edit: 02/18/14 at 21:55:32 by Lonely Raven »  
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 02/18/14 at 22:06:44

nO, I think that it is a new amp that he has been working on forever. He didn't like something about and went back to the drawing board. It is SS, no surprise, but i don't recall much else.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 02/19/14 at 00:02:21

Jeff, I believe you are right: it's probably that N-Core amp he was working on. Not sure that is going to set the world on fire.

Eric, yeah the Digital Lens used to be a separate component put out by. . .Genesis Technology.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/824/

Paul was involved in that. It could easily be put out as a standalone product and he has said that he intends to but it hasn't. Instead it was incorporated into the PerfectWave Transport and then into the Mark II version of the PerfectWave DAC--just the jitter elimination aspect, not the "resolution enhancement" function. It makes a noticeable difference and is a big reason why I bought the PWT and PWD combo and then upgraded to the Mark II version (and then bought another Duo for my second system. It's not going to make "all formats sound the same" but it does reduce jitter tremendously and does make digital sound wonderful.

When the Genesis Technology items come up for sale they disappear in a heartbeat. One of the Decware forum demigods Smiley Randy in Caintuck used one forever and a day and probably still does, probably will have to pry it from his cold dead hands. I don't need one as I have the Duo, but a stand-alone Lens would be an excellent prodcut to come out with for PS Audio.

« Last Edit: 02/19/14 at 00:18:32 by Lon »  

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/19/14 at 06:24:38

He scrapped the Class D amp and went with Class A MOSFET ... Maybe the new one is ready ~ so you could be right there.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 02/19/14 at 15:35:03

Yeah, he said the Preamp portion was ready, but the Class-D amp portion was not sounding good.

I can't imagine the amp being that revolutionary...unless maybe it has a digital lens built in. LOL

« Last Edit: 02/19/14 at 15:47:28 by Lonely Raven »  
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 02/19/14 at 18:43:15

It would be a revelation to hear SS component sound as good TO ME  as a well made tubed component. I am impressed however, with how good some of the SS equipment does sound. Wonder if Paul would ever go to a hybred concept.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/24/14 at 12:47:41

Slightly more insight on the new PS Audio product launch.  A product that will help us get more out of those shiny discs...

http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/buried-treasure/13362/

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 02/24/14 at 14:11:15

I think this hype is leading up to the launch of the Digital Lens. That's my guess.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 44
Send Topic Print