Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/02/14 at 20:05:05

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 19383 times)
Digger
Seasoned Member

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #90 - 03/22/14 at 22:37:47

† † †I'm using Decware interconnects and am very happy with them. Steve does also offer the upgraded silver cables for a bit more than his standard cable which is very good I must say. Just trying to help Steve out don't hear much talk about his interconnects and they are very good.

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #91 - 03/22/14 at 23:02:22

I used Steve's cables for years, quite happily. They're very good cables, and very good for the money. I found other cables better to my tastes and for my system, and paid more, considerably more. . . . A system can sound really nice with his cables.

« Last Edit: 03/22/14 at 23:04:08 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #92 - 03/25/14 at 19:08:45

another brand of wire to give a listen to, if you get a chance is Goertz(Alpha-Core). †I became a convert of these about 8 years ago now. †I have used many other brands and types prior and a few since - always come back to these. †The IC's and speaker cables from this company are a "side business" of the parent company that makes transformers... so they know something about electrical engineering. †And there is solid science behind their design. No snake-oil, fairy dust, voodoo science or BS marketing involved.
I have used the copper and silver IC's in numerous configurations of components and have always been pleased with the sound. †I had only used their copper speaker cables until recently when I had a chance to snag a pair of the solid silver foil speaker cables at a very reasonable price. †Goertz does not make the silver speaker cables anymore due to the cost of silver... That said, I can hear a slight difference between the silver & copper speaker cables, but certainly not worth the difference in price and in some configs you may very well prefer the personality of the copper versions better. †The copper versions are very reasonable priced... and you can snatch'em up used for almost nothing - they are not well known and Alpha-Core doesn't spend much on marketing them... one of the best kept secrets in audio IMO.

check'em out if you get a chance and see if they're a good synergy in your rig.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #93 - 04/06/14 at 08:06:50

Looks like Paul is finally considering tubes, though it doesn't sound like it's going to be an all tube amp, just the input section.

http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/i-never-thought-id-write-this/13733/#comment...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #94 - 04/06/14 at 11:58:10

Cool. Maybe it will replace your ZMA!

Yeah, right. . . . Cheesy

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #95 - 04/06/14 at 18:18:53

OMG, I almost got on there and suggested that if he really wants to make the best amplifier in the world he better man up the rest of the way and do a tube output stage as well.  Thank God I stopped myself. Wink

After reading the comments about how horrible tubes are from those who've never heard one it would have been a real Decware Roast.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 04/06/14 at 18:26:05

Ah Come On Steve! Do it...I dare you...hehe. †Mark.

PS...did you get my email from earlier today?

« Last Edit: 04/06/14 at 18:27:14 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 04/07/14 at 00:50:05

Quote:
Steve D said,
OMG, I almost got on there and suggested that if he really wants to make the best amplifier in the world he better man up the rest of the way and do a tube output stage as well.  Thank God I stopped myself. Wink

After reading the comments about how horrible tubes are from those who've never heard one it would have been a real Decware Roast.

Steve

LOL ... you should have heard Paul himself last year saying how bad tube amps were while he was trying to promote that Class D b.s. amp he was trying to come out with.  After the amp was done he took it to an amp shoot out and lost to a 10 year old tube amp ... you would think he would have learned his lesson and that point but then went back to try and re-design it again with the same results.

He's not breaking any new ground here Rogue Audio already has the Class D/Tube Hybrid Sphinx, so I think he wasting time personally.  I would have like to see them focus on a kick-ass preamp in the half rack side that could match well with their NuWave Phono Stage and DAC.  However from what I've heard that Phono Stage was not well received either and the older version was much better.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #98 - 04/07/14 at 04:03:04

What I'm confused about - he said his input stage and power supply were great, but the output stage just didn't sound good enough to him. Now he's going with tube input stage?

So what output stage? Or is he hoping the tube input stage will warm up that Class -D?

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #99 - 04/07/14 at 04:14:14

I think he's abandoned Class D and is going with a Mosfet output stage. He mentioned that somewhere in that thread itself I believe.

Edit to add: yes, he posted this:

Second, that means of course it has to be a true hybrid. So itíll be all MOSFETs except for the input stage

Personally, for me and most of us I don't think it matters what he does. I don't think anyone who has a Decware amp or is interested in one would be eying his amp anyway.

« Last Edit: 04/07/14 at 04:18:40 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #100 - 04/07/14 at 14:15:15

I like that he continues to experiment. †I find the dynamics of the high end audio marketplace to be fascinating.

Also, I will look seriously at buying any amp (tube or SS) that delivers:

-      Surreal, 3D, holographic, imaging
-      Room width, depth, and height defying soundstage
-      Musical, yet neutral presentation of recorded material
-      Accurate and pleasing instrumental timbre
-      Low or no listening fatigue
-      Listening volume in the 80-100db range (in a 13 X 17 room)
-      Under $1,500

These are table stakes for me going forward. †My budget may increase someday, but for now this is it.

This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, are there amps out there like this? †At whatprice point?

« Last Edit: 04/07/14 at 14:50:44 by Palomino »  

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #101 - 04/07/14 at 15:01:11

Pal,

I would agree with you about experimenting. It's an education to watch and learn. Every once in awhile, it gives me an idea for my own system.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #102 - 04/07/14 at 15:22:15

I haven't been closely following his amp build, exactly for the reason's Lon mentioned above (who with a good Decware amp would really); this is also why I was trying to get him to spend a few minutes with me and the Mystery Amp at Axpona, but he's pretty booked up that weekend of course.

I'm betting something like the ZMA would at least rattle his cage about a full on tube amp.

I had to bite my tongue in that thread as well "oh the noes! It's got sockets, and requires occasional maintenance, and does stuff to the sound!"

Too many math guys talking about building amps, and not enough artists actually building them.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #103 - 04/08/14 at 15:35:29

It is a shame about those that mock Tube Amps. I always remember Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenbergs words: "You are a gifted Listener an don't let them tell you otherwise". However, like Steve said...no sense wasting time or energy in flame wars against Decware.

LR, I was catching up on the Direct Stream DAC Thread and got to the last page (13)...currently and found this (below). Oh yeah, digital & analog cables matter. I would not own them...if their was not a difference. I run to put my Kimber Select back in...every time I A-B-A them with my others. Especially with my Gallo 3.1's. †Speaker's like my Parker's & Reference Klipsch RF-7 II's....in which both, go back out in the Garage...very good Cables are wasted on them.... .

Digitally, the Illuminati D-60 & Revelations Audio Labs i2s....I still can't find anything to beat them.
http://revelationaudiolabs.com/cables-digital/index.htm

"lonelyraven said: Paul, is that JCAT USB cable really all that good? (assuming that was you that posted the photo). Color me skeptical, especially at $350 EURO for a USB cable.

Yes, it's really that good. I've been playing with USB cables on DirectStream and, as Ted has mentioned, there are only slight differences - nothing to write home about or get excited about IMHO. But then comes along this JCat designed by Paul Pang out of Taiwan. I almost fell over when I heard it. And, you know what? I didn't want it to work. I didn't want it to work because it makes no sense. Because DirectStream doesn't care about jitter coming in.

So what the hell could make this cable so different? I really don't/didn't want to believe how good this is. Seriously. It makes me nuts. Ted suggests its ground loop related and Ted's usually right about things. The designer claims not. But there it is. The aliveness and openness the music takes on is stunning. I immediately ordered mine and am in touch with the designer already. I want to not only find out what's going on but want to hear his other work. Crazy. - See more at: http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/6605/directstream-dac-first-impression... †"

« Last Edit: 04/09/14 at 21:27:54 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #104 - 04/13/14 at 23:50:23

Well, I escaped taxes far better than I anticipated. I shouldn't, but I placed an order for the DirectStream kit, installed at the factory. Not sure yet when my shipping and installation will be scheduled, and I can be patient (the sound I am getting right now is simply amazing!) But I think this will be a worthy upgrade for me, better to improve my digital front end than take a risk on the Mystery Amp (especially without a treble cut circuit) when the Torii is such a magical beast in my system. And this upgrade is half the price of the Mystery Amp.

« Last Edit: 04/13/14 at 23:52:13 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37
Send Topic Print