Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/23/14 at 20:14:52

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
using a subwoofer with the SE84CKC (Read 2582 times)
Lin
Seasoned Member

Re: using a subwoofer with the SE84CKC
Reply #15 - 01/21/14 at 23:01:20

Nightsky,

Be careful when comparing different companies specs, it is usually apples and oranges.  

What speakers do you have now?

« Last Edit: 01/21/14 at 23:03:00 by Lin »  
  IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/21/14 at 23:02:27

Beowulf,

The answer is YES

IP Logged
nightsky
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 01/25/14 at 05:38:46

Lin, the speakers I have with 90 dB sensitivity and nominal impedance of 6 ohms are Tannoy Proto-Js, an inexpensive near field monitor. I would be willing to buy new speakers, but there don't seem to be many options for a SET amp like the Super Zen until you get up to $1000/pr or more, which is beyond my budget right now. There's the Klipsch Reference RB-61 II with 95 dB sensitivity available online for $400/pr, but I don't know of any other options in that price range.
I have a small room and almost always listen at low to moderate volume levels, so speakers with 90-93 dB sensitivity might work for me. My typical listening volume is only about 65 dB as measured by a RadioShack Sound Level Meter.

« Last Edit: 01/25/14 at 06:39:58 by nightsky »  
  IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/25/14 at 17:01:51

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/products.html

Any of the Super 3 models and Super 5 (same driver, bigger cabinet) will work since you have a subwoofer.
There is a pair of Super 5 Monitors on AGon for $675 shipped.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/30/14 at 00:13:40

Quote:
Lin said,
Beowulf,

The answer is YES

Thanks Lin and everyone ... one more question please (and sorry if this is a dumb one Cheesy).  So assuming I do this ... both the speakers and sub are running at full bandwidth, or should the sub still be set to a certain point, etc.?

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 01/30/14 at 00:44:34

The powered sub? will have a crossover built in, set it at the lowest frequency that blends well with your main speakers.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/30/14 at 01:15:18

you da man Lin! Smiley

IP Logged
ozoid
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 10/24/14 at 09:39:14

I'm contemplating buying an SE84CKC, the Omega Super 3 Desktops, and using a little PSB SubSeries 100 I already have, so I read this thread with great interest, but I'm still not clear about how a sub hooks up with the SE84CKC, especially since I didn't see pics of the cabling from an SE84CKC. Nor for that matter, have I seen a good clear photo of the amp's outputs and inputs. I'm not even sure which are which. The inputs are on the back, right? but why 2?

No doubt this can be done. I sense most if not the vast majority of SE84CKC owners use a subwoofer. I just want to be sure I understand how to do it and have the proper cables when the time comes to hook up this wonderful stuff.

My setup right now is simple: the self-powered PSB Alpha PS1s have a single RCA subwoofer output on the left speaker (where the amp is). The self-powered sub can take a single RCA plug into the left input or there's also a right input. It has knobs to control the volume and set the crossover point, and a phase switch.

So can I use my single sub-woofer cable to plug into the SE84CKC? Or will I need an adapter so one end has 2 RCA plugs into the amp? And how should the speaker cables be terminated to connect to the amp?

Sorry for the extreme newbieness. For a long time I used a Bryston amp to feed Acoustats, which never needed a sub as far as I was concerned, and I love the sound of low frequency instruments, like double bass, tuba & bari sax. But as I enter the world of SET amps and 90+ db speakers, it seems a sub is necessary. Please help clarify this for me.

And an off-topic question: I live in a Chicago suburb north of the city. As much as I'd like to visit Decware World Headquarters to hear the SE84CKC, Google Maps tells me it's about a 6-hour roundtrip. Is there anywhere closer I could hear the amp I've heard so many great things about?

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/24/14 at 12:03:21

You would need a preamp to use rca to rca (does your source have a volume control?) or a speaker to rca converter like is used in car audio.

There are a couple of guys up in the Chicago area, might want to start a thread asking about a listen here:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=Gen

IP Logged
seikosha

Reply #24 - 10/24/14 at 12:19:31

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, all you need to do is run one set of speaker wires to you mains and then another set (coming from the same posts on the amp) to the sub.

Mini Torii, SE84CKC, Omega Super3XRS, Oppo95 as Transport, Shiit Bifrost UBER Dac, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/24/14 at 18:03:02

"As was mentioned earlier in the thread, all you need to do is run one set of speaker wires to you mains and then another set (coming from the same posts on the amp) to the sub."

His sub is rca in only.
So exactly how do you run speaker wires to the sub? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
seikosha

Reply #26 - 10/24/14 at 18:16:27

Lin, you are completely correct.  Thanks for pointing this out!

Mini Torii, SE84CKC, Omega Super3XRS, Oppo95 as Transport, Shiit Bifrost UBER Dac, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print