Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/23/14 at 01:19:28

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk III, vs Mk IV and new Mystery amp (Read 3499 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii Mk III, vs Mk IV and new Mystery amp
Reply #30 - 01/30/14 at 05:48:15

Good point Digger. Since I have volumes on both, I just adjust the CSP3 pots for optimal sound, and adjust the tone with gain riding. But I can see how the pots would be great tools to a similar end.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 01/30/14 at 12:00:59

Tone adjustments. Well thats new to me. I`m  the "set the controls and leave alone" type. theres more to these amps than meets the eye he thinks. cheers will/digger.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , Rega P3,RB300 (silver Litz), Rega wall mount, DV 20XL, Nakamichi LX5, M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 01/30/14 at 22:30:29

Marky,
       I do adjust once in a while depending on the recording. Not all of the time but if I will be planning on a longer enjoyable listening session I may role the tubes to fit the music a little better or even get into adjusting the input and outputs on the CSP3 to help tweak the tone slightly. Since I have no eq or any other tone controls I just use the pre-amp and tube rolling to adjust things tonally as much as possible if needed. The benefit with tubes are you use the gain to develop distortion inherent in the tubes when over driven I know for some this is a nasty thing to bring up but I will say for most hard core electric guitar players it is much preferred over solid state distortion. Tubes are smooth and syrupy and sound natural in comparison to solid state no digital hiss or edgy tones from tubes. You can also do as Will mentioned is to soften and lay back the sound tonally a bit and push volume a bit harder for another different adjustment in your sound. I believe overall that is what I love about tubes you have a chance to personalize the sound you hear a bit at least tweak it to taste. Some recordings are just impossible throw those on a killer solid state set up and they will more than likely kick as&@ and you'll love it. Anyway tubes are fun but all systems do have there limits that's why some of us need to have more than one type of system. I really do think its to cover the what else can I do syndrome that some of us carry with us through life. Sometimes its a heavy burden to carry!          

Smiley

Just remember its a burden not a sickness at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Cool

« Last Edit: 01/30/14 at 22:34:23 by Digger »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 01/31/14 at 01:04:02

I have not had a chance to play with this weight and body or leaning thing with the CSP3 controls, but riding the volumes between it and amp, or the Zstage and amp do have this effect. My CSP3 was serial #3 and needed a tweak to make it work with more tube types in the output position...something that later pres have. Anyway, it is burning in the new caps I had put in while in the shop, in my 2nd system, so I have not had a chance to explore it fully like I will.

On the other hand, in the context of this thread, I am spending a lot of time with the MKiV, and checking in on the MKIII in the workshop regularly also. The MKIV is getting to a nice place of burnin, maybe 350-375 hours, and sounding amazing. I will comment more fully on the comparison once I feel I have a clear handle on the new amp, after it is "in the body" like my MKIII is, but I can say this: It is a great amp; it is family for sure with the MKIII, but also a different amp; it is very refined and sophisticated and working really well with several power tubes....truly making it like several amps (not hyperbole, I have used cryo'd Mullard EL34 reissues, Psvane 5881s, and cryo'd Tungsol KT66s); being a later version of the MKIII, and since we know and trust Steve's ears and designs, it is naturally a notable step from the MKIII. I think I can say it does most things audio in a bit more refined/deeper way (and what most would consider better) ....more refined detail micro and macro but still very smooth, refined warmth, better vibration control, better bass control, more refined dynamics micro and macro making it faster....but more on this later.

Based upon these observations, I would agree with Steve on the 20-30% thing. But at the same time, I LOVE the MKIII....a different signature and a truly great amp also. It is so good that though the refinements on the MKIV are things I really like, I really like the slightly wilder nature of the MKIII also.

So the short answer in my opinion for Val is this: If you love the Toriis in your setting, you are living with a great pair of amps, especially if you have a CSP in front!!!

And it is subjective as to whether one likes the MKIV better or not, but it does have a number of improvements, seemingly in pretty much all areas that audio heads tend to like. I will comment more fully on the details of these observations in a week or two.

« Last Edit: 01/31/14 at 01:16:04 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print