Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: KT88s and Rachael
Reply #15 - 02/05/14 at 00:49:55

I'm not sure that is the case with ALL EL34s or all amps they may be plugged into. I've seen individuals online making broad sweeping generalizations like this by using a half a dozen tubes in one machine.

« Last Edit: 02/05/14 at 00:54:44 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/05/14 at 01:18:29

Yes, I think there are tradeoffs.  I had thought I liked the EL34 better overall because of the Hazen mod, but perhaps it is also the over emphasized frequencies in the KT88.

I was also having more trouble taming the low end of my room with the KT88s, so while I still use them, I have gone back to the EL34 as my go to setup.  I don't listen to as much rock anymore, but if I do, I go to the KT88s.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #17 - 02/06/14 at 01:29:10

I agree. I think the EL34 in general ought to be more friendly when it comes to room conditions, relative to KT88's, precisely because the lower and higher frequencies are more aggressive when bouncing around against the room walls and such.

From these frequency distribution tails, the lower ones are the most difficult to manage successfully. This hobby is really tough and exciting.

« Last Edit: 02/06/14 at 01:30:13 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 02/15/14 at 03:12:10

I found a similar situation today with my present amp. It is probably an apples to oranges comparison, but in my case, it involved changing out an input tube in my amp. Overall, I liked the sound this amp, but I had heard better. THEN I changed out the 12AX7 GE tube to a PS Vane 12AX7-T, whatever that means. Anyway, it almost makes me reconsider selling this amp in the first place! I won't go into details, but just say that tube equipment is so versatile in this way compared to anything that I have ever owned previously. I guess that's my point. You can have identical numbers on the glass with different results from one to another. Magic/preference can be the product of a happy accident.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print