04/24/14 at 01:43:34

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Good "3D" recordings? (Read 3026 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Good "3D" recordings?
12/09/13 at 17:04:42

After my visit to the "Raven's Haven" I decided it was time to enter the world of tuning my room and thus far built six absorber panels.

I am now testing them out and playing with the position/orientation and having pretty good luck getting a better 3D sound stage.

Any recordings that emphasize the 3D effect/placement of musicians you'd suggest listening to?  

I have some of the usual suspects like Pink Floyd and a smattering of live Jazz and well recorded studio jazz (Kind of Blue, etc.).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Beresford Bushmaster MKII (on 12V Battery), Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Good "3D" recordings?
Reply #1 - 12/09/13 at 17:19:35

Funny you posted this, I was thinking about posting almost the same thing the other night.

I was popping in some albums and getting mixed feelings about what I was hearing. It seemed to me the instruments with treble (flute, cymbals, shakers, piano) where simply floating in the air. But then guitars and sax were glued to the speaker.

I'm not sure what's up with my Zen amp, but it's blossomed lately. I'm getting some really great sound out of it, and it just makes me crave that 3d holographic rendering even more!

So I wanted to ping the group here, and see what others though of as their most favorite 3D recordings that I could track down and compare notes!

I've made no progress on my diffusers by the way.  :-[

« Last Edit: 12/09/13 at 17:20:14 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 12/09/13 at 17:23:14

"Earl Hines Plays Duke Ellington" is a recording of fantastic solo piano by one master playing the music of another master and the quality of the recording can make this sound like a real piano in a room on a great system, worth checking out. There are different releases of this on vinyl and cd, there were three volumes altogether but they all share the same excellence so any and all will serve.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/09/13 at 17:39:19

Thanks Lon, I'll check it out.

I appreciate your contributions to the "what's spinning" thread as well.  Whenever my music gets a bit tired, I get lots of ideas for new music there.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Beresford Bushmaster MKII (on 12V Battery), Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/09/13 at 18:19:27

Theres a lot going on in John martyn`s studio albums (electric period)
Not many guitars at all but so many sounds popping up. A rich tapestry's of, well, I`m listening to this one now

and its always a pleasure to get drawn in.

« Last Edit: 12/09/13 at 18:21:47 by marky »  
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/10/13 at 00:27:21

Paul Hardcastle, The Chill Lounge

« Last Edit: 12/10/13 at 00:30:33 by busterfree »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/10/13 at 02:41:39

You could try these...mine are error corrected redbook Cd files.

If you like Bosa Nova in a newish, but more or less old style..."bluebossa" by Ana Caram. Great sound stage width and depth.

Archie Schepp and Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson, "Looking at Bird"...pretty mellow Schepp...just sax and stand up bass. Not a huge stage, but just right and a nice recording...holographic.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
tom collins
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/10/13 at 03:17:37

funny, i have the torii 3 and err speakers and they all sound like that to me.  i do have a little bit of a cheater and those are Argent Room Lenses.  No longer made and hard to find used, but if you ever see a pair, grab them.  With every speaker I have used, they have increased the soundstage width and depth as well as specificity of instrument placement.  They are basically Helmholz resonators that sit next to each speaker.  That aside, any of the Riverside Bill Evans recordings are generally first rate in quality of recording and holographic image.  Waltz for Debby; Sunday at the Village Vanguard; Everybody digs Bill Evans, etc.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 12/10/13 at 03:57:47

If those Room Lenses weren't so expensive...

I might make a set and see what happens. It's a neat concept, but hard to swallow at $1200 for a set of three...especially when they offered no way for tuning them for your rooms particular nodes.

Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #9 - 12/10/13 at 04:44:17

I've always found Madonna's redbook CDs to contain tracks with 3D effects.

One of my favs is "lucky star".
On a good audio system, one can hear the "star" rotate in 3D space around in an imaginary circle.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/11/13 at 17:06:54

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I think there may be some good examples there of what I am after.  

Maybe a more specific description of what I hear could help one of you steer me in the right direction - via other recordings to test and/or room treatments to explore.

I have now achieved a virtual soundstage that eclipses the entire area in front of my listening chair.  Speakers disappear.  Height and width is only limited by the recording.  Overall depth of the complete stage is good. Within that soundstage, on good recordings, the individual instruments and/or vocals have their own 3D "orb."  They seem to float within that soundstage having their own height, width, depth and radiating decay.

What I feel is still compressed is where those orbs of sound appear in that soundstage from front to back.  So I can't tell for example, where the bass player is positioned relative to the vocalist, etc. in terms of depth.  I know they are on the left side, but front to back on the stage, everything seems somewhat bunched up in the rear of the soundstage.

So I was looking for good recordings that others can definitely differentiate the front to back location of the "orbs" within the soundstage so I could see if I indeed do have a issue to work out.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 12/11/13 at 17:11:52

Try this trio and occasionally quartet recording of Jobim tunes recorded by alumni of his bands in his own private home studio.

Should give you that pinpoint imaging and spatial location.

And is stunningly beautiful music: piano, cello, voice (and a bit of percussion here and there).

Paula sings, Jacques plays cello and arranges, Ryko plays piano and arranges.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 12/11/13 at 17:35:23

That sounds right up my alley, Lon!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/11/13 at 19:02:31

Thanks Lon.  Also thanks for turning me on to Jobim via the what's spinning thread.

Hey Raven,

You know what I have done with absorbers.

If I still get the "orb bunching" with this fine recording, to your knowledge, would diffusers help the situation?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 12/11/13 at 19:29:03

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?22736-SDA-Playlist

....large thread here to check out!

You might not have SDA like I have... . However, with a Decware Amp it is there with these too!

To bad ALL recordings are not as good as a REFERENCE RECORDING, A PROF. JOHNSON RECORDING....BUT, that is where Decware comes in/for my Listening Room & SDA SRS comes in for the Living Room System... .   -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged