10/25/14 at 01:03:15

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Good "3D" recordings? (Read 5601 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Good "3D" recordings?
Reply #30 - 12/23/13 at 17:36:01

Wow 3/4 of the front wall covered with plastic?

I have found an adjustment in Audirvana that helps here. It is in the Audio Filter preference, the sample rate converter. I have not played with anything else, but I set the "filter max length" for "better" - turning it up higher, and liked it less, so went with it lower and like it better. More texture and a more natural sound to me. The default setting is 500,000. With very little experimentation and listening time, I am liking it more in the 450,000 range give or take.

Good luck with those diffusers!

« Last Edit: 12/23/13 at 18:28:52 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 12/23/13 at 20:31:49

The VHS tapes are on shelves, are spaced out and are at three random depths somewhat like a diffuser.  I just spaced them out on a lark one day and felt it actually helped so I left them that way.  I'm gradually converting the room to a pure listening room but for now the plastics stays!

I'll try the audirvana tip.  Somewhat frustrated now because it locks up anytime I try to play a high res file.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #32 - 12/23/13 at 20:41:42

Quote:
Also, with a little instruction, I think I can build some QRDs.

I would be happy to help design, but I've not come up with a building plan I like yet that's fast, easy and repeatable. I'm out of town visiting family, but when I'm back I hope to get more time putting my garage back together, and maybe actually cutting some wood!

I apparently have piles of 1/8" board to use for the dividers, I just need some 1/2" wood for the wells.

Also, a quick and dirty diffuser idea to see if it makes a difference - try a cylindrical diffuser, it would be light, portable, and uses very little material. I would also be easy to breakdown and reuse the materials if you decide you don't like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyriZDOG2rA

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #33 - 12/23/13 at 20:47:16

Also, I was thinking about your ceiling absorber issue. If you feel it's taken too much treble away, you could always cover if it with a partial diffuser. It wouldn't have to be curved like this, but this is what I'm talking about. Just take some 1/8" panel and cut out some sort of pattern on it to increase the reflectivity, but still keeping the absorption.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 12/23/13 at 21:19:14

I like the curved ones.  I could build those.  The frame would have to be metal though, right?

Jury is still out on the ceiling absorbers.  Now I don't notice as much.  I think I am going to have to get serious and do some measurements.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #35 - 12/23/13 at 21:44:49

Yeah, I'm getting close to the point to needing measurements as well. I'm just saving up for the Herbie's gear to go with the ZMA, so no spending on measurement stuff at this time. We can talk more offline if you're curious as to what measurement gear I'm considering.

No need for a metal frame!

Easy way would be to take a panel, say 2' X 4' - then glue some wood strips along the 4' length on the *face* of your panel. Then take another panel 2.5' X 4' (not sure on the measurement, but it would obviously have to be bigger than 2' to form the curve) and bend it to bit between those two two wood strips.

Looking for photos on images.google.com - this is kinda close. Just imagine wood strips holding the curve under tension.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #36 - 12/23/13 at 21:47:05

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 12/26/13 at 22:36:25

I tried this with 1/4 inch ply and it won't bend enough.  Must be 1/8".

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #38 - 12/26/13 at 23:13:09

I don't know how 3D this would be in a treated room, because I don't have one in any of the three rooms I listen in, but with the ERR and the modded C amp in my parents' living room this recoding seems to have real solidity and great dynamics and especially the cello sounds very real and present.

« Last Edit: 12/26/13 at 23:13:34 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 12/27/13 at 14:49:04

Thanks. I have enjoyed you other suggestions.
I'm finding with the treatment I have done so far every recording sounds better.

I am also listening at about 1/2 to 3/4 the volume which is opposite of what I thought absorbers would require.

Still experimenting. Good winter break fun.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 12/27/13 at 17:42:10

Quote:
I'll try the audirvana tip.  Somewhat frustrated now because it locks up anytime I try to play a high res file.

Palomino, sorry I missed this.

Have you emailed audioirvana. Since my stopped crashing with a change in the preference for the "Audio System" with less memory allocated to the app and more to the MAC, I am wondering if it is a memory issue. I use only 44.1/16. I wonder if the + version needs a lot of memory or if something is just haywire?

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 12/27/13 at 18:51:53

It works fine with 44.1 /16.  It's only an issue with higher res files.  Once it detects a higher res file in a playlist it locks up. He thinks it has to do with the communication with the DAC.  I am going to send him the error log.

I tired out the settings you suggested and I like what I am hearing more now.  Any other suggestions are appreciated.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #42 - 12/28/13 at 23:32:28

Stumbled into this great video just now! The before and after demo around 5:30 is amazing, and exactly what I keep talking about when I'm pushing room treatment!

http://youtu.be/D66v5JC0eVk

Notice the measurements show where the problems are, and demonstrate the "ringing" in the room that you can clearly hear in the before and after videos!

I'm only about half way through the video right now, so I'm going to finish it off and see what else they show - I just wanted to post it before I forgot!

SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 12/29/13 at 00:06:49

This video is an awesome demonstration of room treatment.
(even on crappy laptop speakers. must use headphones next)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 12/30/13 at 21:57:21

yes, this is a great video.  I downloaded some of the tracks to see how my treatments stack up against that room.  I have to say, I feel pretty good about the $160 I have spent so far.  I tried to post a video, but the mic on my camcorder is pretty bad and didn't capture what I was hearing in the room.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print