12/25/14 at 13:40:37

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
the perfect match (Read 5642 times)
Lin
Seasoned Member

Re: the perfect match
Reply #30 - 01/07/14 at 01:41:34

The MT needs 1 volt for full output so anything around 2 volts will work well.

HD 11
Output signal level: 2.5V RMS (at 0dBFS) both RCA and XLR

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #31 - 01/07/14 at 18:20:55

hi Lin
Well this part i get, and for as far as i can tell, every DAC i hve read about supplies more than 1 volt, så i will probably only have to turn volume to about 50% before i max out the volume. (i reckon that isnt my everyweek need, i listen usually at lower level)  But what im thinking is that every  dac have some characteristiscs that i want more or less of. Correct? and what is desireable for an amp like the MT. im open to the conclusion that this  is individual preferences, but i was thinking that there might be some typical do`or dont.
For instance if a tube amp is more warm sounding, maybe i should have a source that is more in the neutral end, otherwise it will be a little to warm and romantic sounding...and so forth.. but this is little out of my league of expertise.
Maybe im overthinking this and should wait for the amp to arive and figure out what i want and like. In the beginning i might just feed the amp with whatever i got for source and just take it from there.

Im also thinking that maybe i should invest in some upgrade option before they are ready to ship the beast, its almost utopia for me to ship it back in a year or two to upgrade anything, costs to much and will take to much time. Norway is my homecountry, most of you only knows its way up north somewhere... its far from Illinois..
Any recommondations? If to upgrade? ANd how much will i have to pay? I guess i cant do any possible update either.. havent exactly won the lottery. Cost benefit analysis anyone?

« Last Edit: 01/07/14 at 18:25:53 by jorgen »  
  IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 01/08/14 at 00:49:51

"Maybe im over thinking this and should wait for the amp to arive and figure out what i want and like. In the beginning i might just feed the amp with whatever i got for source and just take it from there."

You just gave yourself good advice. Wink

If you use CDs don't assume a 1 volt out dac will drive your MT to full output, some CDs are recorded at lower levels.

I have a couple of amps that need 2 volts for full output and my 2 volt out CD player runs out of steam before the amp is all the way up, whereas my 1 volt in amps do fine.

Can't help you with the options, my needs and wants are different than yours. Cry

I know where Norway is, I've seen Wallander and he is next door, kinda like Indiana is to me in Illinois. Smiley

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #33 - 01/15/14 at 22:47:27

HI
It s nice that Norway is getting more known around the world, us Norwegians have a kind of little brother complex with Sweden, now, close to the Olympics we are eager to beat them in cross country skiing. Sometimes it seems thats more important than everything else going on in the world... More seriously, if ever get an opportunity to visit here, do it, its well worth the cost, i can provide you with tips of what to do around here.

Status update: I have "discovered"  the Real Time build sheet service, now being on page 3 out of 5! Really cant wait! Making good progress at the moment, but to not drive myself crazy i gotta stop checking twice a day, maybe you all have gone down this road before?

System;
MT
Omega speakers, 7" alnico full range
Cambridge DAC (option is a Hegel HD 11) still pondering this one)
Isoda interconnects, old but i think they will do for now
Tara Labs speakercables (im borrowing with option to buy if any good)
Wimp Lossless through an IPAD as source (equal to Spotify etc) tapping digital signal through a Pure I 20 (or something)

Might not be the ultimate perfect match, but close enough considering budget and everything. Remember i started almost from scratch.. Im at the momentt buying/building bookshelfs and bringing down books from the loft, hoping that will treat the listningroom ok.

But of course any advise is much appriciated!

« Last Edit: 01/15/14 at 22:48:07 by jorgen »  
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 01/16/14 at 00:03:58

Jorgen,

If you guys keep finding more oil in the north sea people will know a a lot about you guys soon.  I spent a couple summers in Denmark about 13 years ago and had some great times at Roskilde with many Norwegians.  I wouldn't worry about the Swedes. I met enough of them as well...ha ha.  
I've heard Norway has some of the best camping in the world.  On my short list.  The Decware wait may be long but you'll find it worth it.
Back to listening...
JD

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #35 - 01/16/14 at 11:10:24

Hi there JD
I was at the Roskilde festival in 2000, unfortunately 9 people died at the Pearl Jam gig. Awful. Cant remember if Eddie Vedder performed Alive (ohh tasteless humour..) It was really bad.
Did you visit "freecity" Christiania in Copenhagen? Up in smoke..

You should really consider a trip to Norway, not because of all the money and oil, guess from just looking at infrastructure and stuff one wouldnt expect that our country is stinking rich, som many problems.

Everyone i ve ever met are really impressed by hiking in the mountains, the fjords and the air, once you get out of the capital.

The upside of the wait is that once everything is in place I probably will be really satisfied, and there is a value in waiting for something good. usually in this day of age, every need is covered immediatly. We dont have to save up, just use credit, shipping and delivery is very effective. Effiency, in my opinion, has a downside.
So in a way i truly believe that THE WAIT is somehow good.

By the way, comments on set-up?

« Last Edit: 01/16/14 at 11:31:20 by jorgen »  
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #36 - 02/14/14 at 10:03:38

What a great week! Monday: Parts pulled. Tuesday: On bench
Wednesday: Testing. Thursday: Quality control passed! i guess this means that the amp will be shipped pretty soon if they have recieved my custom ordered wooden base. Then it will only be the last strech, I guess there will be a week or two (not more I hope??) after it ships before it arrives in Norway! In retrospect, when buying something and you have to wait +-3 months it will really be a fabulous feeling getting it-

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 03/04/14 at 23:19:35

Any news on the amp or speaker arrival dates?
Hopefully it won't be too much longer. Smiley

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #38 - 03/07/14 at 20:46:03

Well... There has been a huge change in my life that last week, up until last Thursday i had a daily routine with checking up on the Real time amplifier build sheet. Since then: daily updating tracking status with USPS. Last update;arrived at customs.... That's the amp.
Speakers; well Louis emailed me last week that he was going to ship the speakers this week, but I don't think he has had the chance just yet. Hopefully they will be on their way pretty soon....

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #39 - 03/10/14 at 14:29:33

Hi everyone.
First some really good news, for me atleast, earlier today I picked up my MT! Havent unpacked it yet.. (my employer wants me to work!!?) but i will do so in an hour. I have no speakers yet, but what i wanted to ask you guys, can I start the burn-in with headphones? (maybe thats just obvious, but wants to be sure!)
Should I do anything different than what I would I done if connected to speakers?

Edit; unpacked it  and connected it, it's a beautiful amp I gotta say!
I have a small worry, there is an absolute noticeable hum in the headset. Doesn't change when adjusting volume. It s constant. The headset is a Marshall major 32 ohm. Ok when connected to phone, but not for audiophile users.
The hum is also affected when I touch the center knob in the front, (not the volume knobs.. Any ideas?
The amp in itself is dead quiet.

I know I should wait until I can connect speakers, but will not be able to do so today.

« Last Edit: 03/10/14 at 17:52:24 by jorgen »  
  IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 03/10/14 at 18:11:48

Is the hum present with nothing connected except the headphones?

« Last Edit: 03/10/14 at 18:12:39 by Lin »  
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #41 - 03/10/14 at 20:37:45

Yes it is. Tried without source, with source. The same. But havent tried with speakers though

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 03/10/14 at 22:04:30

I have an amp that has a hum in the left channel, it is annoying with headphones and barely noticeable with speakers.
I don't like using headphones, but I still might try and get it fixed someday. Undecided

Hope everything works out. Smiley

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #43 - 03/10/14 at 22:36:35

these headphones has a 98 db sensitivty, could that be the reason?

i believe they are made for primarily use with phones and ipad etc

« Last Edit: 03/10/14 at 22:37:29 by jorgen »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 03/11/14 at 00:43:30

I would check with Steve right away and have him give you some tips to get it straightened out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print