Decware Audio Forums
11/29/14 at 00:22:26

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
the perfect match (Read 5388 times)
jorgen

the perfect match
12/06/13 at 01:52:49

Well i guess there will be a lot of different answers to this, or at least i hope. Just ordered the mini tor11 and I have a question for everyone who wants to give their 5 cents, and helpfull with filling up the waiting time with something useful.
Source: CD (rega planet) or from PC/ipad with a decent DAC
Room; just short of 45 m2 8,5 x 4.5 meters, speakers to be placed from short wall.
Music; Everything from Beatles through tool, via Portishead and some jazz

Right now i have a pair of KEF reference 103/4.
Here is the question; what to expect soundwise and what would be your suggestion for pair of new speakers, or rather used i guess.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Re: the perfect match
Reply #1 - 12/06/13 at 18:16:12

I can't tell you what speaker sound characteristics you like but the Mini Torii at 4 watts/ch will benefit from a speaker more effecient than your 91 dB KEFs that you have today.  I'm sure it will play through those and I recommend you do that before jumping at new speakers, but aiming at a speaker rated at 93 dB or higher will allow more output.

Steve's ERR speaker is fabulous sounding and 93 dB.  They are also omni-directional in their soundstage and that is a matter of taste.  I hope other Mini Torii owners chime in.   I recommend you spend some time on that forum.

Good luck and congrats on the new order.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=mini

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/07/13 at 01:48:28

I think you will enjoy the mini torii. I know that I do. With all the output tube choices, you can tailor the sound. This is not required of course.

I would also suggest using your current speakers for a while before making a move away from them. If I were looking for new speakers, I would also look for a slightly more efficient pair. I would also be looking for one with a less complicated crossover or a single driver.

I have no experience with those, and I would like to see what all the fuss is about. For example, I would look at Decware's ZOB or something from Omega Loudspeakers.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase as well.

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #3 - 12/07/13 at 08:44:52

Hey there
Thanks for input. First I got to say im kind of a newbie in this business, so i really appreciate good advice. im just starting to read up on different types of tubes, and im thinking about buying a couple of output tubes while I wait for amp to arrive. i really hope that even on the KEFs that i get a little oomph.
if i understand this correctly; mine are less effecient (91dB), im really not sure what crossover means. Just to make sure; the combo i got/bought will play sufficient for some good listening, and to some volume??

Relevant factors for me is (for speakers)  
#1 of course the way new speakers will sound, but:
I have budget, not to small but there is a budget (of course I can work a little more, earn a little more.. Maybe ballyard 2000$
#2 placementability (a word?)
#3 WAF
Got to say that living in norway makes everything a bit difficult, mainly because everything is really expensive here, import tax is 25%, so when i decide on speakers, i got to be pretty sure what i want and what i get

the Kef i got now plays quite nice for price, and i bought them partly because they play quite tight, but its years ago since they were build so I guess things have changed and developed quite a lot.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/08/13 at 01:54:13

It is good to have some spare tubes around. The product page lists a lot of options.

What amp are you using now? You might want to try biamping with the mini torii since it has another set of outputs. It might not make a difference. Your mini torii might be loud enough.

I have never listened to your speakers, but they seem complicated. Nothing wrong with that. Given that your speakers are already accepted by the wife, I would not rush to get something else.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/08/13 at 01:58:20

I'm in the USA, so I don't know much about foreign speaker brands. I did hear some Marten speakers at a show. Sounded great, but they are crazy expensive.

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #6 - 12/08/13 at 18:29:22

Hi again
Today I have a classe cap 101, descent integrated amp.
I have been thinking about bi-amping, but decided less is more, but gotta admit I am not sure how it would work, neither how to or if it actually would be necessary considering how we use music, we are not typical party people...
We have recently been doing a whole lot of work at home and we want to keep things simple and classy,
Someone gave me a heads up about omega speakers and I have emailed Omega, asking if it is possible to make a 7" monitor (same as super 6). Is an active sub a way to oomph everything a bit? What's the downside?

Maybe not the typical audiophile approach, but I really think it will be both quite nice sounding and cool in my living room, sound isn't all that matters.
Waf; not really fond of the Kefs neither....but placement has made it work, out of sight is keyword here.. . Now I have told her (yeah right) how this will be, or rather what I'm thinking placement wise. If I find The right material, I think omega is a good option, but there are many products to choose between, and I have time.

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/08/13 at 18:44:56

I think the 7" Omegas will work great with the Mini Torii.
Your room is big enough that you may not be satisfied with the low bass, so adding a subwoofer (or 2 or 3) could be a good solution.

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #8 - 12/08/13 at 22:46:30

Lin;
Just to be clear, you're thinking that I'm in no need of a bi-amp solution, but quite sensitive speakers and ad some extra bass with a sub?

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #9 - 12/08/13 at 23:36:08

Also, I'm in a learning process here. So I hope you're a bit patient with me

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/09/13 at 01:23:31

I would try the KEFs first with the MT by itself and also biamped as suggested.
You mentioned Omega and since I have owned several models I felt that if the KEFs don't work out they would be a good match.

Do you have the KUBE 200?

« Last Edit: 12/09/13 at 01:25:35 by Lin »  
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #11 - 12/09/13 at 10:32:14

The ones I got now are 103/4, no sub. These are i believe 4 ohm, 91db, drivers are 2X6" mounted with a steelbar(?)working from oppsite direction
Considering some speaker thats more sensitive, Omega is one option, but no retailers in Norway of course, not in Europe at all I guess.

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/09/13 at 22:42:53

jorgen,

The KUBE 200 is an equalizer for the 103/4.
http://www.kef.com/html/us/explore/about_kef/museum/1990s/Reference_Series_Model...

"Model 103/4 was a floor standing loudspeaker system incorporating the most advanced acoustic techniques. A three-way system, the 103/4 employed four drive units, had a very high sensitivity, high output capability, and an outstanding power handling capacity. Its versatility and bass performance could be further enhanced by the use of the optional KUBE 200 active equaliser."

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #13 - 12/12/13 at 20:00:57

Made my decision today. Omega monitor speakers with 7" alnico driver. Yup I'm happy and excited

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/13/13 at 01:11:42

Omegas and a Mini Torii. Cool
Hope you like the combination and remember the Omegas take some time to run in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print