the perfect match (Read 4954 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: the perfect match
Reply #15 - 12/13/13 at 06:51:03

Quote:
Lin said,
Omegas and a Mini Torii.
Hope you like the combination and remember the Omegas take some time to run in.

+1 I have a feeling you will like! Cool

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #16 - 12/13/13 at 12:08:36

Spoke with Louis, explaining what i want, need and stuff like that. When I told him i do not need the speakers until end of February he actually offered to burn them in a little before he shipped them. Actually that kind of service is what pushed me over the edge, thats really consumer friendly  I read some reviews on the internet about Omega, so i know they need maybe around 500 hours or so.
Also quit cool that Louis will build them with a 32 liter cabinet..

Seriously, I cant wait..

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 12/13/13 at 14:30:26

That's the kind of customer service (and word of mouth) that makes for repeat customers! Props to them!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
seikosha

Reply #18 - 12/13/13 at 17:34:42

Let us know how it turns out.  I run some Omega Super 3XRS's with both a Mini Torii and a SE84.  They both give two very different presentations.  The Mini is very warm while the SE84 is leaner with more detail.

Mini Torii, SE84CKC, Omega Super3XRS, Oppo95 as Transport, Shiit Bifrost UBER Dac, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #19 - 12/13/13 at 18:49:46

Got a q though, how to, in matters of how to warm this amp and speakers, info of 3 - 4 500 hours and still evolving, that's a few listening sessions " )
Is it unsafe to leave it playing while at work? Just to atleast get a good start.
Volume?
Typical mistakes?

« Last Edit: 12/13/13 at 18:52:51 by jorgen »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 12/14/13 at 05:33:35

It's probably safe, however I have never felt comfortable knowing there are glowing red tubes in my living room while I'm out Grin

I have some custom Omega's with Louis' 7F drivers and Super 3s cabinets using a Decware Taboo Mk II to drive them and I love this combo.  

We have a record store here in San Diego that also sells hi-fi equipment which IMO is pretty unique (at least to my area) and they have some pretty esoteric stuff such as DeVore, Line Magnetic, etc. (they can get pretty much anything) ...

Anyways, the guys are pretty cool and I usually go in there, buy a few vinyl records and ask one of the guys to set some stuff up for me to try it out on. I'm happy to say that I have never heard a better setup than my Decware/Omega combo for the same price.  You really have to jump up in price to get better performance, but by then ... if you spent the same amount and applied it towards Decware gear you would still have a better system with Decware.

« Last Edit: 12/14/13 at 05:35:07 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #21 - 12/16/13 at 15:39:52

well waiting time has started.
anyone who wants to recommend some decent speaker cables? Havent found to many in classifeds neither. Figure i can go for used.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 12/16/13 at 17:54:42

I really like the Zen Styx. Though after some years I hankered to try something new and tried the Mapleshade Double Helix PLUS which I prefer. Both take a long breakin to shine.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 12/31/13 at 23:11:16

Jorgen maybe we should move back here and leave Ron's hijacked thread. Smiley

I wouldn't recommend leaving a tube amp on when not around.

Louder volumes will help the speakers break in faster, some people wire the speakers out of phase and put them face to face with a heavy blanket over them.
Of course this should only be done when not listening for enjoyment. Wink

« Last Edit: 12/31/13 at 23:11:53 by Lin »  
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #24 - 01/01/14 at 12:46:42

Since I'm such a newbie i also have been thinking that burning in the speakers is a learning experience, and maybe the changes during that time is interesting to explore.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 01/01/14 at 17:17:51

I know that many turn on equipment and speakers for break in purposes and play music unattended.  Personally, I have been seated listening for every hour of play for every component I've owned.

Some also walk away during the first hour of play each time they fire up their Decware amps.  Again, I love hearing the system come into its sweet spot.  On my system that is just about two sides of an LP with the one hour mark being just about perfect.  I can hear the channel separation widen and the transparency open up.  I love that.

I owned Maggie speakers for about two years prior to buying my current JansZens and those took a full six months for the mylar panels to fully relax.  I got a huge smile each time I actually heard improvement and many times thought they had finally reached their pinnacle only to hear further gains.  That is a lot of fun and I'm glad I got to experience the whole process.  If you can't wait however, let that break in occur behind the scenes.

Scott

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 01/01/14 at 18:31:34

Hey Scott, yeah, I used to enjoy every bit of progress toward break in and eventual seasoning. Now I have a life situation where I only have a few hours a day to listen and/or watch, and I really value each minute, and want them to be optimal. So major breakin I do in my second system before bringing the component into the main system.

If I had more time I'd sit through all the changes because it is interesting and instructive. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #27 - 01/02/14 at 09:03:59

One good thing is that all my gear will arrive at pretty much the same time, so when start regime of warming up amp, both speakers and cables will warm up at the same time. So the nuances of the different items will, I guess, be camoflagued by the others. Im pretty prepared that sound will be horribile (how horrible is it actually??) first days and the changes will happen fast in the beginning, then development will be more subtle after the first week or so, depends I guess. I have been thinking thought, since decware are shipping the amp in a month or so, maybe i should give Steve/Decware some extra money and just maybe ask if they can send me surprise compliment of tubes. I really dont have a clue which ones will do what, soundwise, and some spares is convinient no matter what.

The one and only optimal playlist is under serious development. I reaaly like my music and Im one of those people who enjoys listening to the same records over and over again. The treat: new gear, new sound, favorites rise again.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/02/14 at 15:26:56

Jorgen, regarding the sound of gear fresh out of the box, I would say they differ somewhat in how they are limited.  Speakers need to relax before full bass comes through.  In that regard they sound listenable except limited in lower bass.  Cone speakers need 50-100 hours.  Mylar panels can take longer.  In both cases pumping volume helps.  It is equivilent to stretching muscles before you become limber.  If you are not limber you can't reach as well.  Lower bass is where the reach is toughest out of the box.

Tube amps will sound a little constricted or closed in before channel separation and transparency emerges.  I find that even the most stubborn of gear is still listenable however right out of the box.  As to Decware gear, use the supplied tubes for a few months and let them break in before deciding if any change is warranted.  If you don't let them break in you won't correctly know what aspect may need to be altered.

Scott

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #29 - 01/06/14 at 23:41:32

Yet another question.. Been reading up on dacs, even the r2r part, which i actually didn't totally understand, and that I can't afford and find to be a bit useless for everyday use. Anyhow, have anyone heard of hegel hd 11? Typical for reviews is that equipment almost always is solid state amps, whilst I expect that there are different needs if I'm using (will be soon at least) low power tube etc? Is that correct? If correct is there anything I should be really aware of?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print