Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/27/14 at 21:00:31

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Building your system where are you with yours? (Read 6275 times)
Digger
Seasoned Member

Re: Building your system where are you with yours?
Reply #15 - 12/09/13 at 01:27:01

Dom

Schiit BiFrost Tamed!

My final impressions of the Schiit BiFrost. First off lucky I have the Decware CSP3+. The ear fatigue that I felt as soon as I turned it on was tamed a bit by tube rolling but didn't seem to matter what volume I was running. It did seem to become worse as the volume level went up. The unit did begin to soften the longer it was burning in very noticable difference over time. I finally decided to try one last thing the CSP3+ has input trim pots so I decided what the heck lets see what this will do. Well I will say this the Decware amp saved this Schiit from being packed up and condemned from my system. The input trim pots did the trick for the fatigue I was experiencing. I trimed it down as low as I could and still  able to maintain a loud enough volume to suit my needs the CSP3 input is probably set at about 3 out of 10. I didn't mess with that until late Saturday evening. Must be a slight impedance miss match through my system with it running wide open. After sorting this out I have decided to return this stock unit for the Uber upgrade version of it. This turned out to be a very nice Dac for the money at least in my eyes probably could of done a lot worse. The Uber upgrade is supposed to be a bit wider sound stage more airy and more natural sounding with a slight warmness to it. The warmness is important to me the stock unit isn't warm at all. The stock unit is just straight up reproduction a bit SS sounding a bit like the Rotel 995 I sold very detailed but a bit bright. Schiit claims there is about a 100 hour burn in and I tend to believe it do to the changes I experienced over the 15 hours of use. I have to say this weekend ended up being a productive one and a very good excuse to listen to lots of music. Not that I need one!

If anyone may have any ideas or suggestions about the impedance problems that I may have been experiencing please chime in. I would like to here your thoughts about this or even if you've had similar experiences with other equipment you've owned in the past. I'm not 100% positive of my observations about it being an impedance issue but with trimming it down it has made me think that that maybe the issue with it. Wouldn't be bad if they put a trim pot on there unit but I'm sure there feelings are less in the system the better not really much different than Decwares ideology of building quality sounding components. I could see in some systems this unit just not being compatible from what I was experiencing with it.

Audio Advisor has been great to work with in Grand Rapids Michigan.

Cool

« Last Edit: 12/09/13 at 02:40:47 by Digger »  
  IP Logged
shold350
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 12/10/13 at 14:29:57

My first attempt to put together a system has resulted in the following:
Decware SE34I.3 Rachael amp single input, dual volume control
Decware ZBS source selector with passive volume control
Denon 300F TT with Ortofon 2M red cartridge
Oppo BDP 105
HSU Mid Bass Module 12 MK2
MG944's (soon to arrive)
Decware ZSTYX speaker cables
Decware silver reference interconnects
LG 60" plasma
Homemade stand using 150 year old 2 inch heart of pine

I have all of this setup and connected just waiting for the MG944's to arrive. I purchased this setup after reading as much as I could and absorbing what I could understand (not an engineer just a music fan). I can hardly wait to hear it all come to life. The idea to do this came from my wife who asked me one day if I could put together a system without compromise how much would it cost. I gave her an amount (which was extreme for our normal budget) and she said order it - all of it. She had been stashing money away from a side business that she has and wanted to do it as gift. She enjoys music as well but would never have converted one of our spare bedrooms and spent this money on just her.
I am new to tube gear but it is refreshing to see companies like Decware and Turning Point Audio that are still interested in craftsmanship and customer service. I am happy to support them and others in the US that can maybe serve as model for others.

Decware SE34I.3 Rachael amp, CSP3, Denon 300F TT with Ortofon 2M red cartridge, Oppo BDP 105,HSU Mid Bass Module 12 MK2, HR1's, Decware ZSTYX speaker cables, Decware silver reference interconnects, LG 60" plasma
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 12/10/13 at 14:31:56

Congrats! You have a wonderful wife, cherish her every day. You're going to be very happy with the system. I hope the speakers arrive soon!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 12/10/13 at 15:20:40

That sounds fantastic, shold350!

Make sure you put photos up in the Members Systems section once you get it all put together!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/10/13 at 15:30:44

shold 350 you are blessed my friend...well done. enjoy the listening

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #20 - 12/10/13 at 15:37:41

Update on my " where are you with yours"

I'm still debating on tearing up the front of my room, getting rid of the glass and aluminum racks, and setting up a more simple, streamlined rack (to allow for more/larger room diffusers).

I think the cabling logistics might make that difficult, so my runner up plan is to keep *one* of the glass and aluminum racks (I  currently have two side by side), and just trim down my gear collection. I mean, seriously, I have three different Monster line conditioners that were hand-me-downs from my Dad - and I'm seriously considering a PS Audio PS5 or even (used) PS10.

The easy stuff -

Waiting on the ZMA to be built so I can drive down and pick it up.

Once in place and played with for a bit, ordering up some Herbie's Iso Cups and Tube Dampers for the amp, and Tenderfeet for the Oppo.

Maybe try out some nice DIY power cables, and test my Trip-Lite line conditioner vs. (fleet of) Monster Line Conditioners, vs. Trip-Line Isolation Transformer.

Hard stuff -

I still need to finish rearranging my garage workshop so I can start building the sound diffusers, and more sound absorbers. Maybe make some sound absorbers on the side for extra cash to help me afford a PS5 or PS10.

Keep in mind, my philosophy is that the room is just as important as the amp - so my rearranging and building absorbers and diffusers, to me, is just as important as the arrival of the ZMA.

« Last Edit: 12/10/13 at 15:40:17 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 12/10/13 at 16:10:22

My own systems? I'm done when my new (second pair) HR-1s arrive, which will be soon.

I might get one more pair of VooDoo Cable "Ultralinear" interconnects for my main system if I find a used pair at the right price, I have one pair to connect one of my CSP2+ to the Torii, and all my other cabling are "Evolution." I like those just fine, but for that purpose the "Ultralinear" are excellent and one more for the other CSP2+ would be nice, but it's not a burning necessity. I really like VooDoo Cable interconnects, I recommend them if anyone wants to try something new.

My Dad's system will soon have the ERRs added and we'll see whether the C amp can drive them satisfactorily in this room. They may well be driven well. If not, I may see if Mom and Dad can handle having the Torii Mk II that is resting right now in a Pelican case in use on top of the stereo cabinet.

« Last Edit: 12/10/13 at 16:56:03 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Building your system where are you with yours?z
Reply #22 - 12/10/13 at 18:51:13

I found the bifrost almost unlistenable straight out of the box.  80 or so hours it was much better.  The uber is a pretty good step up but I also waited about 80 hours to evaluate.

I started my decware build with:
1.  DIY DNAs
2.  Rachael amp
3. Decware silver interconnects
4. DIY Styx
5. Modified DNAs (different drivers per zygi)
6. Rachael amp #2

Now I am turning my attention to the room.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
shold350
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 12/10/13 at 20:33:52

Thanks for the kind words. I will try to put up photos when it all is in place. I have a feeling that more upgrades to the system will come someday. Some Herbies isolation devices, maybe a budget power conditioner to start but for now I think it will blow me away. I like varied types of music and will need some education on various file types and how to get the most out of the Oppo. I have an IMac desktop that I am still learning about. Thanks again for all of the information y'all put onto this sight (thats right I said y'all, what else should a Texan say?)

Decware SE34I.3 Rachael amp, CSP3, Denon 300F TT with Ortofon 2M red cartridge, Oppo BDP 105,HSU Mid Bass Module 12 MK2, HR1's, Decware ZSTYX speaker cables, Decware silver reference interconnects, LG 60" plasma
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 12/10/13 at 20:57:51

As a former Texan (33 years in Austin ending this spring darn it!) it's nice to read "y'all." I still say it every now and then. . .and get funny looks here in Ohio!

Can't help you on the file format etc. stuff, I don't dig computer audio and am not involved with it, but there's lots of knowledgeable folk for it here.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/11/13 at 00:41:55

Shold 350,
       You lucky guy nice catch. Nice system also! My wife seems to be a bit more seasoned to this stuff. All she says now is I thought you said you were done when you purchased the last thing you purchased. Then she looks at me and says your never done. The past few years has been good she'll just look at me and roll her eyes anytime I start talking about something it used to take a long time to wear her down but now its like just go ahead. Thank goodness for good women.

Lonely Raven,
       It also sounds like you have a ton to be excited about with the Mystery amp on the horizon I would be unable to sleep kind of excited if it were me. One thing I haven't even looked at is room treatments now that maybe the end of the line for me with my wife she would probably say I don't really care about any of the rest of what you do but the living room treatments would be out of bounds more than likely. I don't really have a designated listening room it maybe a blessing in disguise for me I guess. Sounds like it makes for a great winter project seems as though winter is long enough at times.

Lon,
       I certainly could enter the world of upgraded power cords do you know of any good lesser expensive cords that would do well in replacing the stock cords I have on my units. That is one area I haven't ventured into as of yet. I did get the Decware Interconnects from Dac to CSP3 and to amp. I picked up a Analysis Plus optical cable from cd player to Dac. It is more of a lower end cable at least as far as cost is concerned but seemed a bit better than one I had from Wal-Mart. I had read that there isn't much difference in optical cables but I did notice a fairly large improvement between the two in an A/B comparison. Sounds like you still have some excitement coming your way.

Palomino,
       Glad to hear your first impressions of the Schiit Dac that was just about in line with mine for the first couple of hours of first use. After about 10 hours it was settling down a bit but still felt there was veiling of the sound it was bright and very detailed but overall didn't sound as pleasant as the system sounded with out it. I'm hoping the Uber upgrade takes care of the issues that I felt the stock unit had. How much will the source transport effect a Dac. I have a Sony BDP S-590 DVD player that I am currently using. The imaging seemed better along with the total overall tonal voicing of my system with the Sony by its self. It sounds pretty darn good by its self wasn't sure that a stand alone Dac was even needed but wanted to try one. Since hearing the additional detail I can see it would be worth it as long as overall it does improve the sound. I guess at this point hoping the Uber upgrade will achieve what I'm hoping it will do.

Happy Listening!

Cool

« Last Edit: 12/11/13 at 00:47:10 by Digger »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 12/11/13 at 01:08:14

Digger,

I'll recommend three cords at three price points.

a) the Analysis Plus Pro cord. Not at all expensive, great value, nice smooth sound, rejects a lot of noise as well.

b) the Decware cord. Very good cord for the money, more dynamic than the Analysis Plus, and a bit more detailed.

c) PS Audio AC-5. This is a great cord and can sometimes be found used or heavily discounted about the price of the Decware. Just a little bit more of everything good about the Decware core, perhaps a bit more natural tonal and timbre wise.

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 12/11/13 at 18:08:34

Thanks for the link to Timbernation Lon. I`ve bookmarked it for future reference.
Digger, room treatment to keep the better half bemused   Smiley
Nice middle eastern new or used rugs for the walls. Start bringing
pot plants of varying sizes home.

I had a 10 x 8 ft floor carpet on the back wall for some years. Very effective.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , Rega P3,RB300 (silver Litz), Rega wall mount, DV 20XL, Nakamichi LX5, M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 12/11/13 at 18:43:17

Pot plants will definitely change the sound. Wink

IP Logged
shold350
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 12/11/13 at 19:31:54

I was wanting to see if anyone could put out some recommendations on power conditioners. I can't spend what it would appear to take to get the upper level ones but I don't want possibly waste money by going too low on price and getting on that really doesn't contribute anything to help the sound. Any ideas? Would buying used from Audiogon or some other source be wise?
PS: the MG944's are in the cutting room today

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print