10/20/14 at 05:37:50

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SET Excellence! (Read 2919 times)
DPC
Seasoned Member

SET Excellence!
12/01/13 at 21:43:19

Listening to a DSD download of Holly Cole on the near field setup.  For this application I doubt there is a better amplifier on the planet!  I've not heard a vinyl player that is much better than this!  Having said that, I accept that vinyl can be addictive if a person has the bank to invest in a quality rig.

Thanks to all the many people who have guided this music lover on this journey!

IP Logged
Lin
Seasoned Member

Re: SET Excellence!
Reply #1 - 12/01/13 at 22:23:51

Good kit + good music = Smiley Smiley Smiley
Glad you are enjoying it today Dennis!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 12/02/13 at 04:47:20

Lin, I immediately heard this in my head when reading your post.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/10/13 at 04:44:54

Excellent. I'm using the Rachel with my Vega DAC; even PCM2DSD on the fly conversion sounds really good.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 12/10/13 at 15:03:25

Inside anyone's head, including our own, can be a scary place to be
sometimes---

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/11/13 at 01:14:53

"Excellent. I'm using the Rachel with my Vega DAC; even PCM2DSD on the fly conversion sounds really good."

In this house we are using the Teac UD-501 DSD DAC.  Don't have many DSD downloads but what we have sure sounds excellent to me.  Unless something goes wrong I think this might be the last DAC I'll ever need.  I'm very satisfied with PCM also.

Dennis

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 12/11/13 at 16:17:45

I just realized I have no DSD files on my network, and I want to test that feature on my Oppo-BDP 105 to see how it works with those files.

A quick google and I found this:  http://dsd-guide.com/free-downloads

I'm downloading the free samples now and I'll test them when I get home from work late tonight.

Thanks for the reminder!

DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/12/13 at 00:40:14

Hey, Cool, let us know how it works out for you.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/12/13 at 17:44:02

LR,
Check this out if you did not know about it,

http://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 12/12/13 at 19:15:15

Thanks! I did not know about that link!

So it appears that Oppo doesn't quite have the DSD over Async working yet. It works fine when I play it off a hard drive attached directly to the machine - which is how I'm starting to do things now that I've sprung for a 2TB hard drive.

Playing files over the network has been hit or miss in general, since it doesn't always find my file server.

I have a feeling the next version of this Oppo player is going to be amazing, but in the meantime, I'll just have to live with fantastic.  :)

DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/13/13 at 01:12:08

Oppo has been on my radar for quite some time.  In that I'm now vested in the DSD deal I guess waiting a little longer won't hurt.

The only component missing here is a silver disk spinner.  Presently the only part here is the little Apple ripper and I'm sure Oppo could improve on that.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 12/14/13 at 03:44:40

The Oppo is quite fantastic. It's not perfect, but they got a lot of great features and sound in a $1200 box

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/14/13 at 07:45:59

Quote:
LR said,
So it appears that Oppo doesn't quite have the DSD over Async working yet. It works fine when I play it off a hard drive attached directly to the machine - which is how I'm starting to do things now that I've sprung for a 2TB hard drive.

Playing files over the network has been hit or miss in general, since it doesn't always find my file server.

I hear ya ... which is why I still use a PC that's dedicated to music and movie playback.  JRiver MC 19 is the bomb (do people still use that phrase? Grin) and carries it's own room correction software.  I have no doubt the Oppo will get there though ~ an interesting combo would be a JRiver version that came installed with the Oppo. Hmmm, if the Oppo came with a version of Windows and JRiver installed with a 2TB hard drive it would kill off an entire industry Huh

« Last Edit: 12/14/13 at 07:47:55 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 12/14/13 at 16:22:07

Yeah, apparently Oppo is big into software, as well as hardware development. Apparently they even have their own Smartphones, that they let the general population hack and play around with to come up with new features.

See what they do with the BDP-105, I could absolutely see them coming up with a really nice, Mid-Fi Surround Sound Receiver that's fully internet capable.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 12/14/13 at 16:35:34

Oppo will soon be launching a new headphone amp/DAC. Some people on another board are really looking forward to it.

http://www.oppodigital.com/future/HA-1_Headphone_Amplifier.aspx

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/attachments/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/8...

If this sounds good to someone it seems this one could be the answer to a CSP preamp and ZMA: connect all your digital components to this, use the other input for the phono preamp, there you go.

I wish Oppos I've heard had impressed me analog out-wise but those I have really haven't. No question they are technological marvels at great price points. But I was looking for SACD and Blu-ray players and prefered the sound of the Sony ES models and the Denon 100th Anniversary ones.

But then again, I'm not using files (hate the damned things) so that may explain a lot.

« Last Edit: 12/14/13 at 20:12:04 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print