Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Torii Mk3 and KT66's
Reply #30 - 07/28/14 at 21:31:34

:)

Give them Whole Lotta Love and they'll take you Over the Hills and Far Away to Kashmir.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 07/28/14 at 21:45:44

Grin

Torii MkIII, DM947 speakers, Oppo 105
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #32 - 07/28/14 at 22:14:59

Oh Lon, that was so bad...almost like a bad geek pun. LOL

I'm still considering trying those Cryoset Golden Lions. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think once their more burned in Greg.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 07/28/14 at 22:19:45

Not my finest work, agreed. That's when I can string together Duke Ellington titles.

They're really great tubes. I like the Tung-Sol too, but the Gold Lion have an edge with a meatier midrange, while the Tung-Sol seem to have a more wide open one, one could love either depending on the needs of your system.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/29/14 at 05:19:09

M Gold Lions were very good right off in the MKIV too, and burned in better!

« Last Edit: 07/29/14 at 05:20:18 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 08/02/14 at 01:47:30

I'm really liking these a lot.  If I didn't know better, I'd say the Torii III was built around thesr tubes. Best bass yet coming out of the Monoliths. Tight, fast and deep. Not bloated at all.  Treble is natural sounding.  You know, since I put these babies in on Monday, I haven't once got up to change the bass/treble controls.  Doesn't matter what I have on, it sounds great as is.  With the el34s it seems like I'm always fiddling around with the dials.  I have about 75 hrs on them now.  Great tubes, they will stay in.

Greg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 08/02/14 at 02:50:19

Just as I predicted. Over the Hills and Far Away the best tubes I've tried in the Mk IIIs. Mine are bringing me a lot of joy as well. Glad you gave them a go!

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 08/15/14 at 02:25:18

So tonight I bought the 2 lp set of The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me Kiss Me.  I put on "All I Want".  Seemed narrow and thin.   Sounded like a Mono recording but the singer was dead center and in front of the band.  Kind of a cool but narrow 3D effect. Sonically though it seemed sorta sterile.  However, it reminded that I've spent the last week or so, missing the EL34 sound.  the warmth and richness of them  I guess.   So I put the 34's back in.  Soundstage spread out, singer sounded more a part of the band.  And that nice tone was back.  A sweet presentation in its own right.

So, are the KT66's the end all beat all?  Well, after a couple weeks.. all I can say is, well,  it depends.  It depends on the recording, and it depends on the mood you're in.  Keep in mind, it was just one song of one record.  But it did sound better than the 66's.

So back to the 34's for awhile.  I love having options.  What ever the mood,  find the tubes that will satisfy.  Awesome amp this MK III.

Greg

« Last Edit: 08/15/14 at 03:45:41 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #38 - 08/20/14 at 18:46:00

Hi Greg,

After reading your review, I just had to roll in my NOS metal base EL34s into my Torii MK4.

This was against the NOS GEC Grayglass KT66s....

And the results......

Wait for it......

The EL34s WIN!!!

Your remarks were spot on.

The soundstage is much wider.

The EL34 has a much nicer ( i.e. seductive) midrange tone, it really deserves its nickname of the "queen of midrange".

Will post more details in the Torii MK4 forum.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #39 - 08/20/14 at 18:49:02

Interesting. I had done this a few weeks ago, just before I got the DirectStream DAC in from PS Audio. . . and I still really like the KT-66 in my Mk III. They are not coming out. Smiley

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #40 - 08/20/14 at 19:29:45

Hi Lon,

Greg is really spot on with his observations.

Both the KT66 and EL34 work very well in the Torii MK4 amp.
(The MK4 and MK3 have the same DNA so any tube rolling experiences between the 2 amps should be similar).

For many months, I too was really contented with the KT66s.
I've been using only the KT66 in my MK4 since the very beginning.

I just love listening to music with female vocals and the EL34s have the midrange edge over the KT66.

So it might all boil down to (my own ) personal preference.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #41 - 08/20/14 at 19:44:13

Oh of course, personal preference (though that's not always stated, I see some really sweeping statements at time that one might infer are meant to be universal). And note I have the Mk III, not the IV, they're different animals.They share DNA but the controls are differnt and there are circuitry differences.  AND I listen primarily to instrumental music, acoustic instruments more than otherwise, and I find the better (imo) treble of the KT-66 to be a deciding factor. And oddly, I get a wider, bigger soundstage from the KT-66 than EL34, but that may be a Mk III or a frequency control difference.

« Last Edit: 08/20/14 at 19:57:15 by Lon »  

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 08/20/14 at 20:47:19

Could be your HR-1`s Lon. Omnis radiate a bigger soundstage ?

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , Rega P3,RB300 (silver Litz), Rega wall mount, DV 20XL, Nakamichi LX5, M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #43 - 08/20/14 at 20:50:32

But then why wouldn't the EL-34s radiate a bigger one if they do so on the Mk IV??

I don't know. All this just proves to me over and over again what this forum has always shown me: there are few absolutes at all in these impressions and statements. Partly because of the clarity and resolution of the Decware components we all hear things a bit differently and the clear resolving allows us to tailor the systems more easily towards what we want to hear. And we all want to hear a bit differently.

Or that's what I sense more and more as the years and posts go by.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #44 - 08/20/14 at 21:06:45

I'll say this about the midrange in my system, which was fortified by my listening last time to the EL-34s:

With the EL-34, whether because of their tube type, how they interact in the Toriis, or the Hazen Grid Mod, the midrange seems a bit slower and thicker. This may be the "majic," the "special tone" that some hear. It sounds a bit more romantic, a bit more like classic tube gear to me. I used to prefer this, especially with the sort of tiny edge to the treble I sense with many EL-34s in my system.

With the KT-66s the mid range is so open and fast that it might almost be considered invisible. A wide open plain appears and the instruments dance about on it. No romance, no classic tone, an instrument or voice is full and transients snap.

I have come to prefer this cloak of midrange invisibility, it suits my music best, but I think that's only because the treble wiht the KT-66 tubes is also faster, with less glare or grain.

Just my generalizations of the sound of these frequency ranges as presented by my system based on my listening for some time to the two tube types.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print