12/21/14 at 03:27:08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk3 and KT66's (Read 5637 times)
zen101
Verified Member

Re: Torii Mk3 and KT66's
Reply #15 - 07/03/14 at 02:05:31

Is it ok to use KT66 with a Torii MKIII??? I thought it could only be used in MKIV Torii's?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/03/14 at 02:41:03

You can use KT-66 tubes in a Torii MK III.  Several here have done it and like the result but it doesn't utilize the Hazen Grid Technology. Below is what Steve says on page 4 of the owners manual...link provided.

I've got a MK IV and except for a brief time running the stock KT-66s I ordered with it,  I've been using Seimens/RFT EL-34s.  I like these best but I seem to be in the minority on this.  Mark.

Unlike the TORII MK II that used EL34, KT77, 6550 or KT88 without re-biasing the TORII
MK III uses our new Hazen Grid Technology to push the transparency, speed, tightness to
a level that greatly surpasses the alternate tubes. Since this is the case, extra voicing
was used to get the maximum sonics from the EL34 at the cost of making any of the
above listed alternates a waste of time because they will not sound as good.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK3Manual.pdf

« Last Edit: 07/03/14 at 02:44:22 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/03/14 at 06:35:44

Have you found that as a group, Beam tetrodes  sound more dynamic than true Pentodes?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 07/03/14 at 10:50:44

mark58 wrote on 07/03/14 at 02:41:03:
You can use KT-66 tubes in a Torii MK III.  Several here have done it and like the result but it doesn't utilize the Hazen Grid Technology. Below is what Steve says on page 4 of the owners manual...link provided.

I've got a MK IV and except for a brief time running the stock KT-66s I ordered with it,  I've been using Seimens/RFT EL-34s.  I like these best but I seem to be in the minority on this.  Mark.

Unlike the TORII MK II that used EL34, KT77, 6550 or KT88 without re-biasing the TORII
MK III uses our new Hazen Grid Technology to push the transparency, speed, tightness to
a level that greatly surpasses the alternate tubes. Since this is the case, extra voicing
was used to get the maximum sonics from the EL34 at the cost of making any of the
above listed alternates a waste of time because they will not sound as good.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK3Manual.pdf

Well, that's in the manual alright. But, in actuality, to my ears, in my system, the Hazen Grid thing. . .well it's an extra level of bright detail that I don't think that I need that badly with my material. When I run 6L6 or KT66 in the Mk IIIs they sound fantastic, better than EL34, to me. So I would say they are well worth a try, one might easily prefer one tube type to the other. I am convinced that for me it's best to continue using KT66 in my Mk III. The sound is so big and open and with an ease that no EL34 or 6CA7 quite had.

« Last Edit: 07/03/14 at 10:55:37 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 07/13/14 at 03:34:47

It does not say in the manual that you can use kt-66 or 6l6 in the Torii MKIII?   Huh

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #20 - 07/22/14 at 17:21:51

You can safely use a KT66 in place of the EL34.

The following link is useful for learning more.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/KT66-Tube-Review

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/27/14 at 01:54:19

Ok Lon, you sold me on the KT66.  I order a quad of Gold Lions from Cryoset, shipped today.  Been mostly using the Tung-sol EL34's that came w/ the MKIII,  Today before going into work I put the GL KT77's back in.  Love the life they bring.  I Just found a Mono WLP of Time Out today and man did the drum solo on Take Five kick arse.  Wow.  I was really bummed I had to leave for work at 3.  Oh well.  Looking forward to the 66's.  That'll give me 3 types of power tubes to play with.  Can't wait until Thursday when I'll be off work for 6 days...  This is a great thread.

Greg

« Last Edit: 07/27/14 at 01:59:13 by Greg12 »  

Torii MkIII, DM947 speakers, Oppo 105
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 07/27/14 at 13:21:13

Greg,

I think you'll really enjoy the Gold Lions. Once I popped in KT-66 I just haven't wanted any other tube types in these amps. Both my Torii Mk IIIs now have them installed, and when I'm flush enough again I'm going to pop a pair into my Torii Mk II as Steve said I could put any tubes I would put into the Mk IIIs into the Mk II. As this is the amp I listen to most (as I spend over sixty hours a week caring for my parents and my Dad loves to listen to classical music) I probably should do that sooner rather than later. Thinking of trying the TAD (cryo'd).

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/27/14 at 15:02:39

Lon,

That's quite the testimonial there.  Now I'm really anticipating the KT66's I ordered.  I can see how you'd go with the TAD's for your MKII, the descriptions I've read of the tonal qualities they supposedly impart sound cool.  And why not,  that'll give you 3 brands to compare.   For me,  I like the idea of my Jupiter capped III running them.  I'm closer to hearing what the IV is all about, but still have the greater flexibility of the III's treble/bass controls.  Having the KT66's installed, I think, will take some of the urge out of sending my Torii in for the upgrade to a IV.  I've really been on the fence about having it done, but  $450 plus shipping and the wait..  whew..  that's what's stopped me so far.

Greg

« Last Edit: 07/27/14 at 15:06:27 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 07/27/14 at 18:07:28

Yeah, the limited flexibility of tonal controls has kept me from both the IV and the ZMA. I love the IIIs and I"m good for decades!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 07/27/14 at 21:31:56

Quote:
I love the IIIs and I"m good for decades!

I have a friend that's interested in taking the leap from consumer goods to the Torrii after listening to my setup. What you said is word for word what I told him if he went for at least a Torii III. If he decides to pull the trigger, I might be putting out an APB on a used one. We just need to test his B&W 805 on my setup and see if he thinks he'd be happy with those speakers on Decware gear. I'm also trying to get him to come down for Decfest and really wade out into the deep water with us.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 07/27/14 at 21:51:55

I hope your friend's speakers respond well and he takes the plunge. Really, with the right speakers (for me the HR-1s, they are a match made in heaven for the Mk IIIs, especially with the bass controls!) and a great source (the Mk III will show up a bad one!) you can spend a lifetime with this amp just settling into musical enjoyment and stress relief. I'd rather have that than the ultra introspective window of the little amps (and from what I read the ZMA). I'd rather browse along the big picture than peer through a magnifier.

And if you want to go the real exploratory distance that will has (exhibited by his amazing post from yesterday) you can take the Mk III into amazing realms of detail and exhibition. I start on that path at times, but pull back because it takes me away from the music. I know that's ME, it takes some others INTO the music, I wish it did me, but I find the level I've taken it to to be the right one for me.

« Last Edit: 07/27/14 at 21:54:08 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #27 - 07/27/14 at 23:06:21

Quote:
I'd rather have that than the ultra introspective window of the little amps (and from what I read the ZMA)

While I can't bring myself to say the ZMA is forgiving (it's not), it's also not clinical to the point of being difficult. With the DirectStream and it's natural and musical presentation, the ZMA reveals how natural it really is. I see now how etched the Oppo was - great sounding with great recordings, but painful on dry, highly compressed recordings. The DS and ZMA while not forgiving are not any more harsh than the original recording.

I love Queen's "Somebody to Love", but it's pretty much an unlistenable recording...the chorus is like nails on a chalkboard to me with how strained and screechy it is (at least all the records I've been able to source). The DS/ZMA combo it's almost tolerable, but you can't make a silk purse and all that.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 07/27/14 at 23:43:52

Well, just reading between the lines on a lot of comments on the ZMA it seems more like the little Zens in that sense than the Mk IIs and Mk IIIs are to me. It's unfair to make such a generalization without experiencing the amp, but after years of listening to Steve's amps I sort of can get an idea.

It seems to me that Steve moves more and more towards detail and detail and detail in his designs and I find that I get a more musical presentation with a little less detail than he seems to be moving towards. The Mk III is almost that over the edge for me, but with judicious tube rolling I can get right where I want it, it works wonderfully for my speakers (boy howdy, they just amaze me) and so I'm dropping anchor right here.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/28/14 at 21:29:07

Got the tubes in the mail today, had about 20mins to install them and listen to Whole Lotta Love on ZepII prior to leaving for work.  Man oh man.  With only 5mins of warm up, I noticed such an effortless sound.  Clean, easy everything.   I left the house w/ Pandora on and instructions to the kids to keep it running all night.  Gotta get them burned in.  I can tell these are going to be great tubes already.   Smiley  

« Last Edit: 07/28/14 at 21:29:53 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print