Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CSP 3 tube rolling (Read 1619 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP 3 tube rolling
Reply #15 - 11/23/13 at 16:29:03

Lon,

Sorry to hear the latest in your caregiving difficulties! Good luck sorting through that.

Digger,

Interestingly, 6N1Ps tend to have more subtle differences between tube vintage and factory, but they do vary from tube to tube, and depending on cryo treatment. I find that the other inputs can vary more, particularly 7DJ8s can sometimes sound like a different tube type altogether. Also, as you suggest, burn in does matter, more with some inputs than others. I suspect the one Sovtek 6DJ8 may or may not be a clear representation of the 6DJ8 type, but rather one option, and it could possibly be notably better in 50 or so hours..possibly. On the other hand, the tube type does tend toward a sound that is a bit less bassy and more open and textured...how it does this varies a lot though, and some 6DJ8s defy this altogether being very warm, with deep bass and pretty clear, articulate highs (a bit more like the 6922 tendency).

Admittedly, I love tube play, so have a lot to play with. And within this context, as much as I try to like the 6N1P, they always come up a bit short for me. It may be because my DAC and system/room is very good at spacial information, micro detail and textures, and finally the 6N1P just does not go as deeply into these areas as some tubes...so they end up sounding a little unrefined comparatively.

But as Lon says, it all depends on the system and tastes. The 6N1P can obviously be really satisfying for many folks, being very well liked by Decware folks with really good systems and ears, so if they work really well........Personally, I have enjoyed them in the output position of the CSP3, but at the moment I like some 6BQ7As better there.

I think the CSP3 is a great tool, and tubes show up very well in it, making the possibilities for different sound (at least within its basic signature) sort of vast. Different rectifiers, different inputs, and different outputs, added to teh input and output volumes....lots of room for refinement. But then, It sounds great right out of the box without tube rolling too.

« Last Edit: 11/23/13 at 16:31:24 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
franchetti1
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 11/27/13 at 22:13:13

Lord Soth,
What do you consider the best rectifier tube for a csp3 for under $100> Brimer 5r4gy?

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #17 - 11/28/13 at 01:22:32

Dear Franchetti,

The best sounding rectifier in my audio chain is the Brimar 5r4. I got my "D" getters from elsewhere but "O" getters are currently sold by Langrex UK. It is the coolest looking too with a coke bottle voluptuous hourglass shape. Wink

The CSP3 and CSP2+ were originally  designed around the 5Y3 rectifier.

So the best sounding alternatives are either the Tung Sol or RCA 5Y3 for US$25 each.
If possible, try to get the older "D" getter type.
The coke bottle 5y3g looks cooler than the straight sided 5y3gt, with slightly warmer sonics too due to older age.

If you can't get hold of the above NOS tubes, another good alternative I tried is the Philips 5R4GYS sold by Upscale audio for $50 ea.

If you have the budget for tube-rolling, suggest u get all the above.
Tube-rolling is great fun!!!
There is nothing like hearing the sonic difference for yourself.

IP Logged
franchetti1
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 12/03/13 at 22:21:34

Lon,
How would you compare the Voshod 6N1p-EV to the stock 6N1p 's in the CSP3?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 12/03/13 at 23:55:54

I don't have a CSP3. . . . I have three CSP2+ and a CSP2 (in three systems).

Turns out I answered that above, but it's been so long since I listened to the stock 6N1Ps (and I'm not sure I have even listened to any of those that Steve has been sending these days, my listening was four or five years ago.) From memory I'd say that the cryo'd take considerably longer to break in but when they do they're more "open" sounding (more transparent midrange). I would say that is the biggest difference. The very open midrange may make the higher and lower frequencies just appear different or they may be a bit more refined. Hard to say. I definitely preferred the cryo'd after breakin when I compared years ago and I've just continued to use the cryo'd ones. Since so many love the 6922/6DJ8/7DJ8 family every now and then I try a pair of those out. . .but they haven't yet stayed in. A pair of cryo'd Russian 6922s have burned in nicely in the C amp and CSP2 that I have at my Dad's place, I may try them out in the Torii, but I really would be surprised if they stayed in in place of the cryo'd 6N1P.

« Last Edit: 12/04/13 at 00:00:33 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print