10/25/14 at 11:23:31

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Grounding a turntable (Read 4025 times)
marky
Seasoned Member

Re: Grounding a turntable
Reply #15 - 11/22/13 at 23:49:07

Hi mulenut, you`ll have 3+ months to wait until you have to buy a phono. You never know something may turn up in the way of a bargain. If you go with the Pyle then you`ll enjoy it as you`re 1st set up, and will sound better as the Decware gear breaks in. The first phono I bought was the size of a small cigarette packet with a battery and dip switches. Sounded good to me.

« Last Edit: 11/22/13 at 23:49:36 by marky »  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 11/22/13 at 23:49:16

Mulenut, that is the same Pyle preamp that I mention above and that I have in use with a Pyle turntable in my father's system.

Will you sacrifice some sound quality with that? Sure. But it's not going to sound (after break-in) thin and shrill, it's going to have a balanced sound. Not the be-all for detail or dynamics, but not sacrificing a lot of either. The ZP3 will mop the floor with it, but it's supposed to for the huge difference in cost. But it will allow you to listen to your lps til you get a ZP3 or another great phono preamp. Worth considering.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #17 - 11/22/13 at 23:56:59

Ok great. Decisions.......I'm kind of getting sold on the idea of the small preamp until I can afford exactly what I want. All in all it'll probably make "the boss" a little happier as well.  I'll keep thinking on it. I appreciate the advice and info!
Rock on..
Mule head for life!
G

Decware SE84CKC, Decware DM945, Decware ZSTYX, Decware studio grade interconnects, PRO-JECT Debut Carbon TT...
  IP Logged
Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #18 - 11/25/13 at 18:57:03

Hello All,
I am going back and forth with my budget.  I have a question about speakers. My original plan was to order the Decware DM945 bookshelf.  At their price point it limits my ability for cables etc.  I have a little leeway within my budget.  Will the SE84CKC power Klipch Icon KB-15 bookshelf speakers effectively? these speakers are rated with a 94db sensitivity. I am hoping to buy the DM945 but in the event that the budget rotates in the direction that I can't, I would like to have a back up speaker to go to.  Agian, any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,
Gregg

Decware SE84CKC, Decware DM945, Decware ZSTYX, Decware studio grade interconnects, PRO-JECT Debut Carbon TT...
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 11/25/13 at 23:07:59

I like Klipsch - but not for high end audio - they typically have a bit of honk to them and are a bit brash. The efficiency is perfect for the Zen, and they will be tolerable, but the 945 would be several levels above those Klipsch - so I would do whatever I could for the better speakers.

Cables you can DIY and upgrade later.  Source, Amp, Speakers are the gear Triad - and don't forget how important placement in the room is.

« Last Edit: 11/25/13 at 23:50:35 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #20 - 11/25/13 at 23:47:28

Thanks LR.  I will go for what I originally set out to do and thays get the 945s.  Room place ment is going to be fun with the space I have and how to lay it all out. I have convinced "the boss" to allow me almost full reign to figure out the room.  I appreciate your advice , very helpful.
Thanks,
Gregg

IP Logged
Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #21 - 12/01/13 at 04:29:02

Ok another silly question. Talking with "The Boss" about radio. She enjoys the all day Sunday programming of NPR. Is a tuner an option for the se84ckc or is it a pipe dream? Again, newbie to tube gear and trying to keep the whole house happy. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Gregg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 12/01/13 at 05:24:42

Plug in any source you have. You could even run an iPod through it if you have a dock.

Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #23 - 12/04/13 at 21:05:32

Hello again,
doing a little research on power conditioning/surge protectors etc.  Does anyone out there have any experience or thoughts on this matter.  I'm having some space issues with the power source (wall outlets).

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 12/09/13 at 08:37:45

Quote:
Mulenut said,
Hello again,
doing a little research on power conditioning/surge protectors etc.  Does anyone out there have any experience or thoughts on this matter.  I'm having some space issues with the power source (wall outlets).

There are a lot of opinions on this - PS Audio seems to be a big hit with a lot of guys on this board.  They have an entry level protector/conditioner called the Dectet that could possibly fit into some tight areas if space is a concern.  

There are other companies such as Running Springs Audio, Shunyata and Audience who have their own techniques to condition power.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/09/13 at 19:44:24

I use a PS Audio Quintet conditioner for all my gear except the power amp.  Amps should not have any current limitations that many conditioners impose as a small penalty for the conditioning.  Also, you want your amp on its own outlet.  My preamp, SACD player, and turntable combined don't draw that much current, but they really benefit from reduced power line noise.

The Quintet ($350) was discontinued, I believe, because it brought too much benefit at a low price.  PS Audio couldn't just up the price for no good reason so they replaced it with the now current Dectet ($495) model which has less features.  If you could find a Quintet used, jump on it.  I noticed immediate improvement in blacker backgrounds and resolution right out of the box.  

Another great budget conditioner would be the Furman - PST 8 Digital Power Station ($185) available at many online gear outlets like Music Direct.  Even an entry level model from a company who has experience in this area is better than not using one.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 12/09/13 at 20:16:08

j,

Yeah, I have two Duets, one I use for my Fender Bassman TV amp and Fender '63 Reverb head, makes a difference; the other I use on my Dad's system, really changed that one.

I also have a Dectet, in my second system. SOUNDS BETTER than the Duet. Noticeably, I had the Duet now in my Dad's system in that system before hand.

I have tried to like my Torii plugged into the wall compared to the Torii plugged into my PS Audio Power Plant Premier. I much prefer it plugged into the Premier. i don't find any loss of dynamics, what I do find is more dynamics, more warmth, more detail. The same when I used to have it plugged into a Duet but to a lesser extent.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #27 - 12/12/13 at 04:27:30

Thanks for all of the sound advice. I really appreciate it! Just got onto the build list today. Totally psyched!!! Can't wait for the gear to arrive.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #28 - 12/12/13 at 15:59:09

And now the wait starts....

I'm about 9 weeks into my 12 week wait on a new amp...I'm practically bouncing in my chair in excitement.

Mulenut
Verified Member

Fly too high and the
wax will melt......

Reply #29 - 12/12/13 at 18:45:28

I am right there with you Raven, as soon as I submitted my order I was chomping at the bit.  Gonna be a long 8-12 weeks   Cool
I've managed to drive my entire household crazy with the idea.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print