Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/17 at 10:29:44 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Torii MK4 - Tube Rolling and Some Observations (Read 11331 times)
mac48025
Verified Member

I can resist
anything except
temptation

Re: Torii MK4 - Tube Rolling and Some Observations
Reply #105 - 01/10/17 at 21:38:57

Mark, the tube Steve recommended is the Siemens PCC88/7DJ8. Not sure if those designations indicate the year they're from or not. I'm told they are very detailed with a gorgeous airy high end, silky vocals and tight bass. Steve mentioned getting long bottles but Andy at Vintage Tube Services had no idea what that was........and that's a first for him! I constantly floored by his knowledge of tubes and vintage gear. I also ordered a pair of Mullard input tubes, supposedly the antithesis of the Siemens. I want to see which input tube works best in my system.

Output tube question. I'm told the RCA 6L6GC black plates should last about 20,000 hours in the Torii. That seems high. Many seem to replace theirs yearly. Will the tubes actually last 20,000 hours but lose their fidelity much sooner?

PS Audio P300>PS Audio Perfectwave PMT & PWD>Decware Torii mk IV>NOS Western Electric 14g speaker wire>Tekton Double Impacts
  IP Logged
Paul64
Verified Member

Reply #106 - 02/18/17 at 23:45:45

Hey there. I've gone through 2 quads of the Gold Lion KT66s and 1 set of the KT77 GL only getting about 700-800 hours on each quad before they sound tired.  Is this normal?  Does anyone have other suggestions on something that might last longer and not be NOS expensive??  Just curious.  THANKS!  PS....can you use KT150s in the Torii MK4??

Regards,
Paul

IP Logged
RW82
Verified Member

Reply #107 - 02/19/17 at 01:03:44

Mine always ate tubes pretty quickly. I settled on the KT77's as my favs. I wouldn't go NOS for output tubes. I doubt you'll get any additional  mileage out of them.

MBP 24 bit Audio via Oppo 103, PS Audio PWD Mk II DAC, Z-Stage, Pass Labs 30.8, Decware DM 947 Speakers.
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Verified Member

Reply #108 - 02/25/17 at 17:54:21

Looking for suggestions on a solid functional set of matched quads. Budget stuff please, no pricey NOS collector tubes with perfect original boxes. I see matched quads on ebay for as low as $50 for all 4. Are these  all junk? Any of them solid and reliable? JJ? Valve Art?
Sonically, I am pretty fixated on midrange at the expense of all else.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #109 - 02/25/17 at 18:12:04

I have a Mk III, not a IV, but they seem to use the same tubes.

My favorite budget tube is:

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_80&products_id=335&osCs...

Especially if you like midrange.

Then I do like KT66 . . . my favorite that I have tried of new production are the TAD (second favorite are Gold Lion, then JJ, least favorite I have tried are the Tung-Sol).

The TAD:

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_84&products_id=394&osCs...

I like cryo'd power tubes. Not only do I think there's some sonic advantage, the process that cryoset uses seems to weed out most duds.

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,ZBIT,Taboo III;PS Audio DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade spkr cbl;CambridgeAud CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt, Groovetracer upgrades+Exact2;VooDoo Cbl:Stradivarius+Cremona,Iso-Pods; Mplshade:Samson v3;Oppo PM-1;Audeze LCD2
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 02/25/17 at 18:45:16

I like these in my ZMA.  They can be found a little cheaper on ebay but not necessarily in matched quads.  I think others use them in Torii III and IVs.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=335&osCsid=d9c6f1f7d...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #111 - 02/25/17 at 20:21:13

Right, I mentioned them in my post above. Nice! Cheap!

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,ZBIT,Taboo III;PS Audio DMP+DS,P10,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs,Mapleshade spkr cbl;CambridgeAud CXU;Rega RP3,TTPSU,wh belt, Groovetracer upgrades+Exact2;VooDoo Cbl:Stradivarius+Cremona,Iso-Pods; Mplshade:Samson v3;Oppo PM-1;Audeze LCD2
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Verified Member

Reply #112 - 02/25/17 at 20:27:28

I should've clarified, I'm looking for EL34s. (It's a Blue Torii)..
Any preferences for EL34 matched quads?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 02/25/17 at 20:52:44

I have used KT66, KT77 and El34 in my Blue. I have not used the 6L6 types Lon and Archie are recommending in that torii, but have in my MKIII and MkIV. It might work fine in the Blue Torii too. If this tube interests you, ask Steve if someone else does not answer that one here.

I agree with RW, the KT77 is an interesting choice. If you want to stay similar electronically as EL34s (supposed to be a direct replacement), and punch things up some, the JJ KT77 is cheap, and will tend to a more linear and dynamic sound with tighter bass, while having open spaciousness, really good inner and complex detail, nice textures....

If you want to stay with the EL34 sound, and want to buy some burnt in, but not much more, I have a bunch of them I could sell inexpensively. PM if interested. New or used, if you told us the tube you are using, and how you would like to change the sound, we may be able to guide you in the right direction.

« Last Edit: 02/26/17 at 00:56:58 by will »  

PSA P5/mod'd Brickwall/Shunyata Defender/power cleaners and more; MacMini/Audirvana>Jitterbug/Regen,Tranquility DAC; DIY + Pi Audio PCs; DIY ICs + USB; Jupiter CSP3; Torii MKIV; DIY Speaker Cables; HR1; Madscientist, SynRes, Archie's, Herbie's isocup feet
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 03/25/17 at 22:40:18

Will, Lord Sloth, Lon, Et al,

i just bought a bunch of tubes recommended here.  the 6l6's, some kt77s, and a few el 34s.  I also bought some new rectifiers.  Now i'm looking into input tubes but i've kind of busted the wallet for now.  Anyone got any lying around they want to send to a brother??

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #115 - 03/25/17 at 22:42:02

I can send you a pair of those Chinese 6N1P type that some are talking about and up here. PM me your address if you wish.

IP Logged
Paul64
Verified Member

Reply #116 - 03/26/17 at 16:21:25

Hey guys.  Thanks for the suggestions on the 6P3S-E from Cryoset. For the last couple years I've been using GL-KT77s but they seem to wear out fast (7-800 hours) and start sound dull but I really like their sound.  After about 20-25 with the 6P3S I have to say I am pleasantly surprised, especially for the price compared to the KT77s. The mids sound great....although I think you lose a little on the top end but the bass is better than the KT77s....maybe a little more...but not flabby. Thanks again for the tip.

-Paul

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #117 - 03/26/17 at 17:35:40

They are very good tubes, and as you say a great value. Glad you are digging them Paul.

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 03/27/17 at 03:54:41

Anyone have any experience with the valve art KT 66 tubes? What about these: Tungsol Reissue KT66 Power Vacuum Tube, Matched Quad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XJCMEG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_p2h2yb9EGX1VG

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print