Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/01/14 at 22:41:10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Post a Pic of a Favorite Musician (Read 4828 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Post a Pic of a Favorite Musician
Reply #15 - 11/02/13 at 14:19:18

Mark, as a Pepper fan(attic) you probably know about the releases that his widow Laurie has been putting out?  Seems there is a new cd, DVD and book on the horizon.

http://www.artpepper.net

http://www.artpeppermusic.blogspot.com

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 11/02/13 at 14:22:25

Another one of my favorites, Brazilian singer Paula Morelenbaum. I first heard her when she and her husband Jacques Morelenbaum (excellent cellist, composer and arranger) were members of Jobim's final band. Since then Paula has released a handful of recordings of her own and as a member of the trio Morelenbaum2Sakamoto. All are recommended if you like Brazilian music.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 11/02/13 at 14:24:21

Here's a photo of "the Pres," Lester Young, one of the artists I've sought every note I could find from. Lester was an immense influence in jazz, as a player and as a personality and intellect. I just love to listen to Pres!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/02/13 at 15:04:38

Lon,  I have sampled some of Paula's music thanks to  your  past posts. She's very nice.  

In regards to the Art Pepper "Widow's Taste" releases...I am aware of them but don't think I have bought any though I have listened to some.  They are all excellent.  Art was very consistent in his later years...it was like he thought each tune might be his last and wanted it to count. There is a documentary called "Notes from a Jazz Survivor" that I have, the whole thing is on you tube for those interested. His wife for many years has been trying to get a film made...maybe that's the DVD? Thanks for the links...I'll investigate.

I have been out of the Hi Fi game for 10...15 years, it's hard to say for sure.  During this time I listened to CDs in my car and music on my laptop...my stereo was broken for those years.  I am happy to say I'm back in and can't believe I left for so long. I don't think I've got quite as large a collection as you...never counted...but I certainly have more than I could possibly listen to during my remaining years.  I had sort of a music buying/Hoarding/collecting addiction for many years; and as a result at least one third, probably more, of what I have has yet to be listened to.

I will give you Bill since I know you would soon anyway....Until later, Mark.  
« Last Edit: 11/03/13 at 10:19:25 by mark58 »  

evans-0226346d0fbb14857978305dfc1d3ce8967e3fb4-s6-c30.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 11/02/13 at 15:10:26

Yes, I'm that compulsive musical hoarder too. Son of a collector (Dad collected Civil War material--and wrote four books on Civil War characters) and sheet music from the early twentieth century (supplementing what he inherited from his Mom).

I have actually listened to almost everything in my collection at least once, but of course it's silly to have this much, and even sillier to buy more. But nothing short of the grave will likely stop me.

On top of that I collect  books and instruments. Sigh.

Anyway, thanks for that picture of Bill. Leisure suit and all!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/02/13 at 16:28:37

Lon, thanks for reminding me of the websites on Art.  I have tried to read his autobiography but can never finish it. He was such a self centered, impulsive addict...a horrible unrepentant sociopath like many of my favorite Musicians.  But I don't judge Musicians on how they lead their lives....just the Music.  I have a lot of reading and listening to do via the sites.  

I think I owe Laura, Art's third wife, for all the beautiful Music Art created after meeting her in Rehab in the 70's.  She kept him somewhat grounded and on track.  Here's what she looked like when she met Art.   Mark.
« Last Edit: 11/03/13 at 12:33:49 by mark58 »  

0026_laurie_bed.gif
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 11/02/13 at 19:02:35

Yeah, that is a hard book to read, but a good one in its way.

Here's another of my favorites. Louis Armstrong, His music changed many sectors of the musical world and always strengthens me.

Interesting parallels for me with Louis. His father and my father are both named William Armstrong. He said/thought his birthday was July 4, but turns out it was August 4. My parents' first child was stillborn on July 4, and was going to have my name, and I was born 13 months later on August 4.

The man was a genius of many talents. Few know how much he wrote, he was a compulsive and excellent writer, and he created interesting artwork as well.

« Last Edit: 11/02/13 at 19:03:13 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 11/02/13 at 20:10:46

I'm a bit obvious.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #23 - 11/02/13 at 20:11:53

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 11/02/13 at 20:17:41

I'm not a Satriani fan at all but I would have gotten to Jimi, one of my main influences, and an amazing man.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 11/02/13 at 20:22:13

Kenny Burrell. Still doing it today. What tone and feel!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #26 - 11/02/13 at 21:21:50

A twofer Ry Cooder and John Hiatt!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 11/02/13 at 23:27:58

Just curious if anyone knows what hi-fi equipment Jimi is using in that pic?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/03/13 at 00:34:46

Another of my addicted sociopath favorites....Chet Baker.  I just got home and the Tubes are warming up and soon I'll go into the listening cave.  I'll let you know what I listened to tomorrow.  Mark.

images_1.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 11/03/13 at 10:12:47

OK, this will be a twofer.  You'll already know who they are if you read my "What's Spinning" post first.  I can still remember when I shunned vocals with my Jazz...what a fool. These two ladies have made my life so much richer.  Both have had a CD or two spot in my car for years...along with Bill Evans of course.

Ella_Fitzgerald_1962.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print