Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/14 at 01:19:45

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Post a Pic of a Favorite Musician (Read 2931 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Post a Pic of a Favorite Musician
11/01/13 at 21:13:37

Thought I'd start another thread in some way all about the music because we love our GEAR but it's the MUSIC we really want to get to right, that we love so deeply?

I'll start.

Bille Holiday.
Before too much of the sadness.

« Last Edit: 11/01/13 at 21:14:29 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Post a Pic of a Favorite Musician
Reply #1 - 11/01/13 at 21:29:46

OK Lon, Art Pepper is in my top ten....who's my favorite probably changes depending on what I'm listening to. His recordings from the late 70's until his death is the sweet spot for me.  Mark.  PS...he was pretty much a life long addict as Billie was.

41VCN3XC0QL__AA160_.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 11/01/13 at 21:51:54

Cool. I keep hoping one day I'll LOVE Pepper. I totally respect his artistry, but I don't really enjoy listening to his music that much. I like the earliest Pepper the most.

Shifting continents, here's another favorite artist I can't ever stop playing the music of.

Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/01/13 at 22:27:38

Lon,  I would have never guessed...hehe. This is one area where our collections/tastes differ.  Although I like Brazilian Music i have far less than you. I have mainly Stan Getz's bossa nova stuff, Flora Purim and a few others.  I've enjoyed sampling your album choices though.  My lack of knowledge in this regard is not because I don't like it I just haven't heard much of it.

Ok Lon, I love Jazz as you know but I have lots of non-jazz favorites as well...Laura Nyro is right up there...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/01/13 at 22:30:50

The photo didn't take....

Laura-Nyro-17178856-1-402.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 11/01/13 at 22:30:57

Hey, we're all different and that's what's great! I never got bitten by the Laura bug, mainly I think because I was in Africa during her highest times and not exposed to her.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 11/01/13 at 23:06:38

I'll take a lot of flack for this, James McMurtry.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 11/01/13 at 23:27:51

Why would you take flack? It's not like you chose. . . Debbie Gibson. I might give you some friendly flack for that! Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/01/13 at 23:29:23

Donnie, no flack here.  I went and sampled a little of "Live in Europe" and kinda like it.  I'll go back and listen to more soon. My philosophy about what is "Good" Music has always been, it's what the listener thinks is good....whether it's Katy Perry or Mozart or a guy banging two garbage can lids together....if the listener thinks it's good it is for him/her. I think Lon will agree. I'm not a Lady Gaga fan but those who think she's talent-less should go listen to her Duet with Tony Bennett doing "The Lady Is A Tramp".

In the same vein as your choice, I went through a Townes Van Zandt phase not too long ago....

images_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 11/01/13 at 23:43:18

One of my favorite artists, Duke Ellington, is reported to have said "There are two kinds of music, the good kind, and the other kind."

I agree.

Here's a picture of that subversive genius, Duke Ellington, doing the "finger snapping" bit.

Then again I used to work with someone who had a very different taste in music from me who used to tell me "I like BOTH types of music, Country AND Western." Cheesy

« Last Edit: 11/01/13 at 23:48:27 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 11/01/13 at 23:44:56

And after James McMurtry I'll go with Ray Wylie Hubbard.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 11/01/13 at 23:49:23

He's the twenty dollar bionic man, with the steel slide finger.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/02/13 at 00:06:32

Lon,  I've got the huge red box of the Duke's RCA output but don't know where it is....everything gets lost or so it seems. Also have Two maybe three Mosaic Box Sets....somewhere.

Donnie, you have a thing for Texas Musicians.  Well I guess Ray Wylie Hubbard is originally an Okie by birth.  Here's a favorite local boy...born right here in Oak Cliff and honed his skills in Austin where Lon has spent some time....

stevie-ray-vaughan_111101.jpg
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 11/02/13 at 00:33:40

I see your Stevie and raise you a Jimmie

I noticed that I had a "Texas" thing a few years ago, I really don't know why.

IP Logged
miller88
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 11/02/13 at 01:27:20

I'm still in a little bit of a Zandt phase

Ayub Ogada

image_006.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print