Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/21/14 at 13:42:14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
AC regeneration for Decware amps benefits (Read 6426 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: AC regeneration for Decware amps benefits
Reply #30 - 10/31/13 at 17:51:20

Emotiva has a device that is supposed to deal with DC also...
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/cmx2
I have one and one of their CMX-6's also... I have never taken the time to A/B them to my PS P5... the Emo's are in use in a less critical setup.  But they certainly don't seem to be hurting anything either, as I have no noise or hum issues where I'm using them.... cheap enough to try...

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 11/01/13 at 14:41:02

The CMX-2 has the DC blocker, the 6 doesn't. I have one on order.

the Signal DU-3

http://www.signaltransformer.com/home/step-updown-power-isolation/

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 11/01/13 at 15:09:39

Question for you guys.  When I use my Torii I turn the volume up on my amp all the way.  There is an obvious audible buzz.  I turn it down till I don't hear it then adjust my volume on my CSP2+ pre to listening level.  Since my listening area (apt.) is small there is always plenty of volume.  My question is: Would a power regenerator such as PS audio P3 or other get rid of that buzz completely?  I currently have my amp plugged into a pretty crappy panamax power surge protector.

THanks

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 11/01/13 at 15:23:45

One of those would help. . . . Depends what the source of the hum really is. If the hum is tube-based,, it won't likely be completely eliminated.

Most hums I've had in my system HAVE been traced back to tubes, 6N1P tubes have been pretty bad in that regard, for instance.  I've had more home from CSP2 and CSP2+ components due to tubes than the Torii itself.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 11/01/13 at 16:13:22

I thought it might be from the torii itself but it could definitely be the tubes as well also my power cords/interconnects are all pretty close together.  Is it safe to take tubes out when the amp is on to isolate the problem?  It didn't bother me till last night after a previous nights loud listening session to pulp's different class album (loudest I've ever listened to my system)

Thanks JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #35 - 11/01/13 at 16:57:32

No, you should only remove and install tubes with the power off.

Also, are your interconnects shielded and if not, see if you can route them away from the power cord. As the power inlet is on the top and the cord arcs away from the amp near where interconnects often cross an unshielded cord has given me hums before. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #36 - 11/01/13 at 19:44:41

JD...

I kid you not, I had a Panamax AC filter one time that actually "Caused" noise.  Try plugging your Torii Straight into the wall - bypassing the Panamax all together.

It sounds like you are in fact describing "noise" as opposed to a ground loop hum... which would be present at the same level all the time and not just appear when the volume is up.

If plugging your Torii straight into the wall has no impact on reducing the noise, then start swapping out your IC's and power cords one at a time and see if any of them are the culprit.  Then you can try swapping tubes - BUT ONLY WITH THE TORII TURNED OFF.  Never pull a tube while the amp is on....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 11/05/13 at 09:55:18

Can anyone chime in on actual noise reduction with Decware gear?

I don't have my DC blocker here yet, and besides a humming/buzzing transformer, I have hum on speakers.

Not much mind you but given my dishwasher woes, I'm just not happy about the power.

It sounds like you guys with P3 and P5 are running dead quiet?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 11/05/13 at 10:09:14

IP Logged
seikosha
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 11/05/13 at 14:40:30

I've got a mini torii plugged into a PS Audio P3.  I have speaker hum and the P3 makes no difference at all in lowering it.

Mini Torii, SE84CKC, Omega Super3XRS, Oppo95 as Transport, Shiit Bifrost UBER Dac, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #40 - 11/05/13 at 17:18:56

seikosha,
  • is the hum actually coming from your speakers?  Or is it coming from a transformer of one of your components?
  • and if you have multi-driver speakers, which driver do you hear it the most prevalent in, the tweeter, mid, woofer, etc.
  • does the hum remain at a constant level regardless of the volume setting on your preamp.  Or does the hum increase and decrease with the movement of the volume control?

I used to have a PS Power Plant Premier which worked perfectly for years, and then the transformers of my components started humming when plugged in to the PPP... DC offset on the line is known to cause transformer buzzing/humming.  I sent my PPP in and had it repaired - buzzing transformer problem went away.
Not long after that I sold the PPP and purchased a PS Perfect Wave P5 and have had no humming transformers or noise in the speaker problems so far - about 18 months so far.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #41 - 11/05/13 at 17:25:20

OK, I've been reading and reading, and I've pretty much sold myself on getting a Power Plant - where is the best place to find one used/discounted/B-stock/Demo -whatever?? I'm hoping I can get a base model for around $1000. I don't need internet connectivity and all that - just the clean power for my Mystery amp and Oppo.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
seikosha
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 11/05/13 at 17:44:16

maddog07

Hum is not from the transformer, it's the speakers.  The transformer itself is completely quiet.  The speakers are single driver Omegas.  The hum is constant and does not change with the volume.  It is the same if the volume is all the way up or all the way down.  If I disconnect the source input, the hum is still there.  If I disconnect the speaker cables, the hum goes away.  :-)  The level of the hum is exactly the same whether it is plugged into the P3 or the wall.

I've plugged a half a dozen other amps into the same system and the Mini Torii is the only one with the hum.  Everything else is completely quiet.

I'll have a chance to plug an SE84 into my system soon and I'll be curious about how quiet it is or is not compared to the Mini Torii.

« Last Edit: 11/05/13 at 17:46:02 by seikosha »  

Mini Torii, SE84CKC, Omega Super3XRS, Oppo95 as Transport, Shiit Bifrost UBER Dac, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #43 - 11/05/13 at 18:01:46

sounds like a tube issue in the mini-T to me.

IP Logged
seikosha
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 11/05/13 at 18:08:11

Tubes are the only thing I can hope for.  That said, the hum level is completely identical in the right and left channels and being dual mono, that would mean that Steve delivered the amp to me with two equally bad tubes which leads me to believe that the amp just has a natural level of hum to it.  What do you think...is it really possible that I got two bad tubes?  The amp is new.

I'm going to listen to another Mini Torii with the same speakers in the next month or two.  If that one doesn't hum as loud as mine, I'm sending mine in for a check up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print