Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 19:50:22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
AC regeneration for Decware amps benefits (Read 10922 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: AC regeneration for Decware amps benefits
Reply #15 - 10/25/13 at 22:40:52

Maddog, reading what you said above - what would be a good bang for the buck regeneration setup for Mystery amp and Oppo BDP-105? Do I need to get separate units for each device?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #16 - 10/26/13 at 00:29:14

LR...  I run my entire system off one PS Audio P5... the P5 shows that my Torii MK.3 pulls about 145 watts... all the time, idling or at full-song... typical of a Class A design...  My source components all together pull about another 100 watts.  So output power capacity of a single P5 being up around 1200 watts, my entire system being on a single P5 is not an issue.  I have never experienced my P5 getting more than barely warm, nor have I ever heard the fans come on.  So from the capacity perspective, one P5 is Okey Dokey.  I do have a dedicated 20 amp circuit going to it as well.

the PS PW regenerators, P10, P5 and P3 are not cheap IMO... I personally would find it hard to justify multiple ones in one single system.  But if you got the coin.. go for it and report back what you hear.  You might even ping McGowan about it and see what he says... he's pretty good about responding to email in my experience.

there are 4 isolated pairs of outlets on the P5.. so you can put your amp on one, your pre on one, your digital sources on one, and analog sources on one.  I have never heard anything but total utter silence from anything I've ever had plugged in to it.  With my Aesthetix pre, Wyred DAC and Torii amp... put your ear in the throat of my 97-98db sensitivity speakers and there is zero detectable hiss.... so it is my humble opin, that one P5 is sufficient - not to mention how the music "sounds" when played via components connected to it... which is our objective here....

if you skip the touch-screen interface of the P5 and don't care about its "network connectivity" capability and can get buy with a few less watts output power capacity - go for the P3 and save some green.

"IF" I was going to mess around with greater capacity, I think I would rather have two P5's than one P10.  Thought being to put one P5 on one dedicated circuit and the other P5 on a separate dedicated circuit.. with the idea here to be greater isolation, i.e. amp on one, sources/pre on the other.  As one P5 can supply about all the power available from a 20 amp, 115 volt A/C circuit.  So any amp designed to run on US 120 volt A/C should theoretically be able to be served by one P5.
However, I gotta tell ya... I think this would prove to be an exercise in futility, completely unnecessary and prove to make no detectable difference.  The only time it might make sense and be beneficial, is if you had inefficient speakers and giant arc-welder amps and actually needed the juice... I used to live in that world... for a few "decades".  I got enlightened a little over a year ago to the world of high-efficiency speakers and flea-watt amps... I won't be going back to my previous sonic existence any time in the foreseeable future......

Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 10/26/13 at 01:25:10

Wow, thanks for that. Looks out of my Pay Grade - I'd rather buy some ERRx - but it looks like something I'd keep in the back of my mind if I ever get a bonus or something!

I guess I was hoping for something in the $1000 range.   Grin

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #18 - 10/28/13 at 16:00:31

LR - look for discounted P3's.... they are in your budget.  Exact same technology - slightly less output power than a P5 and no touch screen or network connectivity - both unnecessary things and nothing to do with SQ....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 10/28/13 at 18:36:19

I will do that. Mystery amp and Diffusers I'm building come first...then I'm seriously considering Regeneration. I completely understand the concept behind regeneration now that I've done some reading on it, and it sounds it's like the closest solution to running my gear off batteries...or maybe building a Faraday Cage around my gear rack. LOL

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #20 - 10/28/13 at 19:24:40

Roger that... I just picked up eight diffuser kits at Decfest... another nice winter project putting these together..!!!  My winter schedule is already full.....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 10/28/13 at 20:20:31

I looked at those while I was there...the workmanship is excellent. I can't imagine they'd take much "putting together".

The ones I'm building will be...somewhat similar.  ;)

Except mine will probably be 12" deep, and 36" tall.  :o

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #22 - 10/28/13 at 20:53:22

they actually have to be taken apart and glued together.. they're just "friction fit" as provided.  Check out the instructions for assembly from the website.. more to it than one would think.  I'm sure it will get easier after doing a couple of them.  Then stain/finish, cover with grill coth, etc.
If you saw the stack of diffusors on the floor in the amp build room at Decfest - those were mine!  I loaded them up Sunday morning.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #23 - 10/29/13 at 03:14:12

You should consider staining before assembly. But then, if you're wrapping them in cloth, I guess it won't matter too much. It's just that stain doesn't work well through any glue smears/dribbles you might have.

Yeah, it was yours I was looking at. Great work done on them; which translates to easy assembly.

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #24 - 10/29/13 at 23:49:00

Yep... stain no worky over glue.  my audiophile anal tendencies are making me ponder the "reflectivity" of whatever coating I decide to use.  i.e. would a tight-surfaced high-gloss paint be better?, etc.  At a minimum the wood should be sealed in some fashion, even if covering with sonically transparent cloth of some kind…

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 10/30/13 at 14:41:53

I firmly believe that if the coating has a visual specularity, then it will have a sonic specularity. That said, you're covering the the devices in cloth which would filter out anything the clear coat would have reflected better. You'd only be sealing them up to protect from the elements at that point, and I honestly don't believe that's going to be necessary either. It's ply woods, which are typically dimensionaly stable unless really, really humid (e.g. downright soaked).

Also, I didn't clarify in my previous post, but I meant to say that staining before assembly will be *so* much easier, not only due to the glue factor, but because it's a PITA to get into those fins. My big diffusers on my back wall had to be done with a spray gun like you'd use to paint a car.

These were roughly built after the Decware ones - I bought the plans when they were first posted (and have since lost them). I built them using materials on hand, so the dimensions are slightly different.

My next sets are going to be HUGE!

JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 10/30/13 at 15:13:05

Well done those diffusers look great.

JD

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #27 - 10/30/13 at 17:18:51

LR - those look great.  Maybe you should "go into biz"...?

well... these are "diffusors" so I want them to "reflect" sound, not absorb it....  my current room is practically an anechoic chamber anyway - over 15 ft from speakers to side walls and I can bring them out from rear wall about as far as I'd ever want.  Room is heavily damped naturally at this time – too dead at the moment actually.  However, my "room" is soon to be remodeled and I anticipate more liveliness to tame when finished.  My first thought for use of these diffusors right now, is to make them "mobile" and "adjustable" on stands, so I can play with positioning them around and between the speakers to see how it effects imaging and mapping of the soundstage.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #28 - 10/30/13 at 19:02:24

Being mobile is an awesome idea! Even thought I plan on making mine up to 1' deep and almost 3' wide X 3' tall, mine are going to mobile as well. I'm betting we'll learn a lot about placement and how it effects the sound. I look forward to hearing the lessons you learn from this!

Man, I wish I had a room that size - super jealous! The diffusers are going to have plenty of room to do their job! Steve's diffuser design is a compromise due to the short listening distance of most rooms, so he's made it as effective as it can be for those short distances. With the space you have, you could go 6"-12" deep on your diffusers and still get the full effect! (typically they say 1' distance per 1" of depth as a loose rule of thumb).  

hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 10/30/13 at 20:43:47

I'm close to buying a P3!

But I just pulled the trigger on a Signal DU-3 balanced transformer! Might pick up a DC blocker too.

« Last Edit: 10/30/13 at 20:45:32 by hifitubes »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print