Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Torii MK3
Reply #15 - 09/28/13 at 23:15:26

Well, I'm very sensitive to treble grain, and I've had my ears tested every year and I still have a surprising amount of high frequency hearing. I love the treble cut circuit on Decware amps, I need them, and it's mainly because of room. In my Dad's room I don't need treble reduction. I really don't believe that it's upstream from other components.

My tizzy treble comment was in regards to 6922 having a bit of it in comparison with 6DJ8.

Anyway, glad you like what you like but 6922 and 6Dj8 just have never done it for me in comparison to the 6N1P tubes. Luckily I don't need the power boost the others would give the Mk III.

As for Decfest, I've never been and probably won't be going any time soon. Til this year I lived too far away and all my vacation times were visiting family or in-laws and not going to audio fests. And now that I'm close I am in a situation, looking after my parents, where I can't even be gone a whole day, let alone a weekend. And that's not going to change soon.

« Last Edit: 09/28/13 at 23:18:41 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
DaveH
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 09/29/13 at 02:12:45

Thanks Lon for the sincere reply.  I now will purchase a pair of 6DJ8's and will look forward towards the education. I have read many of your posts and trust your experienced ear. Always fun to look beyond.

Mac mini, linear ps, Audirvana +, Oppo 83 Rick Shultz mod, Prism Orpheus Dac, Synergistic tesla, Torii III stepped, V-caps, Ref 3A GV's.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 09/29/13 at 02:48:49

Absolutely. Your ear is what counts, many love the 6922 in these amps!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
RJR
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 09/29/13 at 12:47:45

I appreciate all the posts.  I went to a Ham Fest, a couple of weeks ago, here in Virginia Beach and found a guy selling tubes.  I finally touched base with him the other day and he is a bit of an audiophile.  He has power cables, tubes and various items that I will be able to try to see if I can get a different sonic signature. It is an excellent opportunity for me to tube roll without the expense of buying-and-trying.

I still feel that many of my flac recordings from the CD's I owned were just engineered poorly.  I know that DSD is around the corner as the new digital format, but it is still in its infancy and albums are approximately $25.

I do have a question, though.  When I try a quad of EL34's or similar tube, do they have to be matched within 10% or does the amp take over and adjust itself?

Lon, I believe you mentioned in a post you were from Ohio.  I am originally from Youngstown.  There is a gentleman that has a huge Harley dealership in Youngstown that happens to be an audiophile and sells some nice stuff.  Check out his website  http://soul-custom-motorcycles.myshopify.com/collections/music

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/29/13 at 13:16:39

You are a good Son, Lon.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 09/29/13 at 13:38:24

I would get quads as matched as possible myself, though 10 percent may be just fine. I'm not an expert on this aspect by any means.

My mother's parents used to live in Youngstown. In Ohio I mostly lived in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County, out in the country, where my Dad had the church on the town square for 27 years. He retired to Bay Village, west of Cleveland and that's where my parents are living now.

That's an interesting site, thanks for the link.

IP Logged
RJR
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 10/20/13 at 19:43:11

Having the MK3 and Zu Omen Defs and listening now for about a year or so, I always wondered what I can do to improve/tweak the sound.  All of you have helped, yet I needed an independent perspective and I recently got one. I also talked to Steve and he essentially said that I have made some good improvements, but tube rolling is the next evolution more so than upgrading the MK3 to MK4.

I bumped into a gentlemen at a Ham Fest that has tube amps and vinyl and serious about music.  He listens to Jazz via vinyl and is also a musician.  

He came over the other day to help me roll some tubes.  We rolled Amperex JAN6922, RCA 5U4GB black plates and 0B3 (yes these purple glowing tubes are just cool). The sound stage immediately improved.  I played music that he recognizes, like Nora Jones.  He could not BELIEVE the sound. He kept using the terms, tight, 3D and WOW!!!  He said that he was hearing sounds, that he never heard, emanating from the MK3.  He couldn't wait to get home to see if he could duplicate the sound on his rig.  I believe he may just sell some of his stuff and buy Decware??? He was that impressed with the MK3.

We will get together again and do some more tube rolling.  He has some Mullard KT88 (actually made in England in the 60's if my memory serves me correctly) that we will try.  But he has other output and input tubes to try too.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 10/20/13 at 19:58:40

Awesome RJR! I'm listening to some jazz vinyl right now on my system and the Torri Mk III and the ZP3 and the CSP2+ are translating what comes off my Rega RP3 so wonderfully right now that there's not one digital thing I can put on in any format and play through the system that will top this sound. I can see why your fellow music lover was bowled over by your system's sound.

I had originally thought this weekend I would move the new Torii Mk III I received in July from the second system and put it down here in the main system, it has over 1500 hours on it now. But. . . I just don't want to move my seasoned Mk III out. This has been such an amazing amp and the Beeswax caps really influenced its sound favorably. The sound quality this system achieves really amazes me sometimes. I imagine a much younger self just reveling in the system he dreamed of having one day. We are so lucky to have this window into the sound thanks to Steve and Bob and all the Decware family.

Please keep us posted about how your system develops through tube-rolling.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print