Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/14 at 15:19:24

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC (Read 7421 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC
Reply #75 - 10/01/13 at 16:00:55

Kana, you have a wonderful system with your Sophia 3's.

However, this system would be on my audition list if I won the Powerball.

Anyway, I came to my senses: (keeping)
-Anedio D2
-Moon W5.3 SE
-NAD M51
-SE84CS
-Super Zen CKC

NOT getting the Focus SE's.

I bought the KEF Q900's.
I think they sound just as good as the R900's... .
-S

« Last Edit: 10/01/13 at 16:02:03 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #76 - 10/02/13 at 04:17:12

I've heard the Wilson's - several times in fact, in several different setups, driven by tubes and silicon... yes they are good.  But NO Speaker does everything "the best" for all types of music.  At least I haven't heard it yet - for my ears.  If you have the bank balance for Wilson's, you have to consider MBL Radialstrahler's too...which I personally could live with longer I think than the Wilson's - except for the 101e's bass(the 101e is the MBL I've heard the most), which is not that great IMO.  But bass can be "added".  Getting the highs, mids and imaging to suite is a much harder feat to accomplish I've found.  No matter what you have, you'll likely grow tired of it eventually, if not sooner and/or hear something else that gets your mojo workin' and then think you need that.  This is the only possible explanation for the vast array of speakers and types of speakers available to us music consumers <-- a fickle bunch we philes are!  Thus...  my 30+ year journey chasing the audio holy grail finally led me to multiple pairs of speakers and a few different amps.  Each of the 5 pair being completely different in design objectives and sonic qualities... and I'm about to add two more pair to the stable within the next few days.  Which means one or two current pair will likely rotate out to another fellow obsessed, or possessed as the case may be, fellow audio hobbyist.
I don't think we are ever meant to reach the end of this journey... merely to enjoy the ride along the way......

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #77 - 10/02/13 at 20:45:43

I hear you loud & clear maddog. As long as we are enjoying the music along the way...is all that really matters (not cliche').

For me, I now own the Anedio D2, NAD M51 & AA gear for three different Systems now.

I wanted to find (and did find) a great solid state amp for $3750.00, in the Moon W5.3 SE (full retail $8800.00.....most of them sold for $5695.00). It was new/demo...and I have the 10 year warranty.

I did not buy the KEF's yet. Good word though about the Q900 & R900 at 5k.

I might still have the Legacy Focus SE in. I can have them shipped here for 30 days and only pay return freight of approx. $400.00.

I am jonesin' for a good 7 to 10k speaker!  I am going to audition the Sonus Faber Cremona M next week.  Cheers, Stone

PS-not to be a Debbie downer....but I figure I might as well get it' while the getin' is good...including the Mystery Amp in 10 to 18 months. I don't  think QE (Quantitative Easing) can last much longer than 10 to 18 months more....so inflation is coming...and it is going to hurt.

« Last Edit: 10/02/13 at 20:53:43 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #78 - 10/02/13 at 20:58:16

You guys have an interesting viewpoint to me. I actually DO find one system works for me, covers all the bases. Especially with the HR-1s and the flexibility of the Torii Mk III and the CSP2+ I can have it all, for me.

I feel so grateful that my life led me to this point and I had the resources to have this rich a musical playback life. And I'm sitting back and enjoying it all.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 10/02/13 at 21:04:03

Only $400 for return freight ... those things must be MONSTERS Grin

Here's a couple speakers in your price range that sound very interesting:

1. Line Magnetic 755I ($8995/pair), in which two field-coil 755 EX drivers are installed in floorstanding cabinets and bundled with a pair of Line Magnetic PR-3 field-coil power supplies.

2. Devore Fidelity Gibbon 88 ($8500/pair).

3. The Orangutan O/96 ($12,000/pair) look pretty interesting as well however go above your price range.

4. The Rethm Maarga ($8450/pair)

« Last Edit: 10/03/13 at 11:48:51 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #80 - 10/03/13 at 18:09:11

Beowulf, I will check out DeVore.....very cool.
I hear you too Lon, I don't take for granted being able to enjoy what I have...and recently have acquired.

Okay, I have things distilled down & fleshed out:

Solid State Mood = NAD M51 with Moon W5.3 SE AMP (Listening Rm)
Impressive synergistic match...definitely a couple of steps above my Emotiva XPA-2 in the Living Room.

Single Ended Triode Mood = Audio Alchemy Gear with SE84CS (Listening Rm)
My AA DAC 3.0 has adjustable voltage output....which is crucial to exploit the SE84CS in a positive manner.

Single Ended Triode Mood = Anedio D2 with Super Zen CKC (Bedroom System)

**all DACS have Digital preamps driving Amps directly... .

It's all good!  -S
PS-I need to bring my Kimber Kable PK-10 Palladian Power Kord off of my Emotiva XPA-2....to my Moon W5.3 SE Amp. This Power Cord improved the performance of the XPA-2 a lot! The Palladian does not like Single Ended Triodes though. It will go up against the PS Audio AC-10 that is doing a stellar job right now with my Moon Amp.

« Last Edit: 10/03/13 at 18:42:10 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 10/04/13 at 03:23:09

Quote:
Beowulf, I will check out DeVore.....very cool.

The Devore line is pretty tube friendly (especially the Orangutan O/96 at 10Ω @ 96dB)

Quote:
stone said,
Solid State Mood = NAD M51 with Moon W5.3 SE AMP (Listening Rm)
Impressive synergistic match...definitely a couple of steps above my Emotiva XPA-2 in the Living Room.

Single Ended Triode Mood = Audio Alchemy Gear with SE84CS (Listening Rm)
My AA DAC 3.0 has adjustable voltage output....which is crucial to exploit the SE84CS in a positive manner.

Single Ended Triode Mood = Anedio D2 with Super Zen CKC (Bedroom System)

Wow, looks like you have a serious game plan here ... but very curious to know which speakers go with which setup?

« Last Edit: 10/04/13 at 03:27:29 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #82 - 10/04/13 at 13:37:06

Decware Torii goes with my Audio Nirvana's and Decware 945's, and updated vintage Klipsch... Torii with any high-efficiency speaker - its especially excellent with the full-range, high-efficiency, xoverless types.

Class D Audio SDS-470c(replaced monster Krell power amp in my system-my new reference - and cheap!) with my Martin Logan's, and any conventional dynamic type speaker with multiple drivers and xovers.

Emotiva XPA amps in our HT with Emo speaks and Velodyne subs.

I'm already in Decware country this morning... up at Hawthorne Audio to pick up my just built Trio's.  Which will be driven by my Torii for the highs/mids, Class D sds-470c for the Augie's.  Headed back down the road to Peoria for Zenfest this afternoon....

much more to report on all - next week Zenfest.

maddog signing off for the weekend  [smiley=13.gif]  !

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print