Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/18/14 at 22:34:20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC (Read 14016 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC
Reply #15 - 09/14/13 at 17:26:26

Lon, I understand, I am just into that extended treble deal.... .

Orangecrush & AiDee, thanks for pointing me towards the Anedio D2. I will receive my M51 on Tuesday (fedx is great around here). I look forward to spending time with it as described in this OP/thread.

I am going to order the D2 on Monday and do a head to head comparison over the next two weeks....to 30 days.  One of them will be returned (or I might keep them both). Thanks again Orange Crush.

Aidee, not cool, they stopped international shipping. However, looks like you have a winner on your side of the ocean in the BMC PureDac.  -Stone

« Last Edit: 09/14/13 at 17:33:15 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 09/15/13 at 00:31:30

Stone, yes I'm very happy with the PureDAC, no regrets at all. I'll post some impressions once I've done some comparisons and calmed down a bit Wink

I could understand Anedio's decision to focus on the US; seems they're too small to handle an international market right now, and made the right call to maintain good service and have time for new designs.

Tongue hanging out to hear the results of your M51/D2 comparison!

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 09/15/13 at 01:38:34

That Pure Dac looks very promising indeed especially since it DSP ready. I was on a long quest for a Dac that I just feel in love with. I started off going down the NOS and tube Dac road but contrary to popular opinion I found them all harsh, muddy and slow. Can't wait to hear more from both you and Stone. I even tried a ZStage with my Anedio D2 and Torii to be able the ride the gain, but it just added noise, lowered the resolving power and took away the transparency. I think that is the best thing about these new breeds of Dacs with well implemented volume controls. Less is more.

At first you might think the Anedio is a little light sounding. Then you realize it is just that the noise floor is so low that the extreme clarity just shine through like pure sweet golden sunlight. You will play your music at higher levels due to this without any fatigue. After a year, it still gives me goose bumps.

I have never heard the PSAudio Dac, but I heard someone compare it to driving in a Cadillac while obeying the speed limit on a cloudy day and the Anedio D2 to an exotic sports car, full speed, with the top down on a sunny day. Just different strokes for different folks.

« Last Edit: 09/15/13 at 01:51:33 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 09/16/13 at 11:18:15

Very interesting notes about the Anedio orangecrush! I am definitely sorry I didn't get to try this DAC.

Never mind. I didn't expect to post this soon but you'll find I started a thread (I expect it'll be quite short-lived) that relays my initial impressions of the PureDAC. I'm not sure I calmed down yet, but I hope I did manage to be fairly sober with my notes anyway!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 09/16/13 at 11:37:28

Thanks for the impressions! I know how it is when you find a front end that just sings with your system (I'm in love with my PS Audio DAC Mk II and Transport---one in each system!) Will be fun to read your further impressions.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 09/16/13 at 18:24:58

There are a lot of interesting new DACs, but I don't think I'd buy anything that doesn't do DSD.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/dsd-resources-dsd-dac-list

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/16/13 at 20:54:26

If anyone is interested Anedio is having a free 2 week sample evaluation with the D2 DAC ... this is a great opportunity for anyone considering this product.  All you pay is shipping and handling both ways!

Contact: anedio_info@anedio.com and put Sample Evaluation Program in the subject header ...

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 09/16/13 at 22:37:12

"If anyone is interested Anedio is having a free 2 week sample evaluation with the D2 DAC ... this is a great opportunity for anyone considering this product.  All you pay is shipping and handling both ways!

Contact: anedio_info@anedio.com and put Sample Evaluation Program in the subject header ..."

Don't they already give you 30 days?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 09/17/13 at 05:09:01

Quote:
kana813 said,
Don't they already give you 30 days?

If you buy it from them yes, however this is not a purchase it works similar to an Audio Circle (or other forum) Tour.  There is no purchase, you put your name on the Anedio evaluation list and it is sent to you for a 2 week period in which you can evaluate before committing.  It's a pretty cool idea if you happen to have another DAC or 2 for comparisons.  For instance Stone already purchased a M51 DAC for evaluation, if he wanted he could get on the list and instead of having to buy the Anedio he could just be part of the tour and it will be sent to him (less money out of pocket, etc.)

« Last Edit: 09/17/13 at 05:09:46 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 09/17/13 at 17:42:00

I personally see no reason to buy a DSD DAC today. The format was good idea many years ago (before hi res PCM) but not now. It presents serious challanges and does not necesarily any sound better than Hi Res PCM. Lots of audio engineers and dac makers are speaking up on this subject to dispel the many misconceptions and hype around DSD. Look around, there is lots to read. It is not by any means the holy grail of digital audio and it will take years to see if it going to make any substantial impact on high end audio. Many audio engineers feel it is already dead but just been kept alive my zealots and marketing departments.

« Last Edit: 09/17/13 at 17:42:47 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 09/17/13 at 20:48:58

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 09/17/13 at 21:14:42

I was fortunate to get home today and sign for my M51. I have now spent almost 3 hours with it and I am very pleased right out of the box. Marcus Miller M2...as I type....just wonderful via coax Illuminati D-60 into M51.

I have come to realize this past hour, it has a lower noise floor in my estimation, from how dead silent it is with an ear up to the Speakers and of course, at the Listening Chair in my Listening Room. Tone-Timbre-Texture is there, with detail that I like and love about my Audio Alchemy gear. Soundstage is deeper and this NAD M51 is flat out musical running into my SE84CS with Kimber Select! I am also playing louder without audible compression kickin' in through my CS.....and it is singing music!

Now I can move my Audio Alchemy gear to my bedroom System/CKC. It takes cables & Tube Amps plenty of time to burn in-in my 23 years of experience. For example, my SuperZen CKC is still coming along and sounding sweet (10.5 months). However, digital gear?  I can tell pretty damn quick...after a few key full Discs/songs.  Thank you NAD=great job!

McGowan, needs to quit dinkin' around with his firmware and changing  his so called Native 44.1 too, when he dinks on the USB firmware upgrades. I know some people (maybe a lot), are not happy about it over at the PS Audio Forum/from what I read. I put 80 hours on the PWT/PWDII PS Audio units....and they were veiled and just like that cozy Cadillac metaphor Orangecrush, you were so succinct with/the PS Audio gear was.....the NAD is better for my System.

I have not forgotten about ordering the Anedio D2 Dac....should/will happen. I am going to enjoy the NAD M51 first.  She's a keeper. -Stone

« Last Edit: 09/17/13 at 21:16:53 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 09/17/13 at 21:47:40

Stone I am really glad the NAD adds up! Good to know.

As we try to climb the res ladder, feel out format, and with still, relatively speaking, such a small proportion of excellent sounding high res files, I love my Tranquility NOS DAC. It makes Redbook sound like music. Though I get the issues, as Hider at DbAudioLabs has said, 44.1/16 bit is a lot of information, that is if you can pull it and put it back together with finesse!

« Last Edit: 09/17/13 at 22:21:34 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 09/17/13 at 21:57:55

Wow, I would go as far to say if it sounds this good right out of the box - it's a winner!

I just checked out a cool video explaination on some of the features over at: http://www.spearitsound.com/product.cgi?group=116&product=4267

I know you're just using it for redbook correct?  But I could see this as a great tool for watching movies in 2 channel as well (not to mention PC streaming).  Very interested in this product.

Thanks for your impressions!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #29 - 09/17/13 at 22:01:21

Will, hiRez will get there....and price might get better too.

However, mean while, I'll stick with perfecting Redbook with the capability to go hiRez when I'm ready.  I need to hear the NAD M51 via the balanced outputs into the Mystery Amp and/or BAT - VK-55 SE Tube Amplifier.  Cheers, Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged