Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/20/14 at 16:50:58

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC (Read 14072 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC
09/13/13 at 15:34:22

I ordered the M51. I should have it my System by Tuesday or Wednesday night. Hooking her via coax with an Illuminati D-60 into the M51 for CD redbook standard. I like this PWM concept on anything it is feed. The proof is in the Listening though.

I will have it for couple of weeks before the FEST...if she does what all the Review Monkey's say it does...even for redbook....I will bring it to the FEST. Or heck, I will just bring it anyway. It take just minutes to plug and play directly to an Amp.

....So were not just "feeding" on high res files all Weekend.  Lets take the Redbook and pump it up high res with PWM and see how it compares.

If it blows and does not pass scrutiny at the FEST....I will have it back on the road with an RA# on the 7th or 8th of October.   -Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC
Reply #1 - 09/13/13 at 15:42:57

Cool. I've been disappointed with NAD digital products I've heard and owned in the past in comparison to other makers. Will be interesting to hear your opinion.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/13/13 at 15:54:37

Hi Stone, the M51 seems like an interesting product and concept (especially the PWM conversion) and the price seems reasonable compared to a lot of other things out there.  Have you thought about the other components in the chain such as the M50 and/or the M52?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 09/13/13 at 16:06:34

Lon, this should be fun. I know Steve allows customers to bring Speakers etc...for the first day Friday...and this should be interesting. I am going down Thursday night and plan on being at Steve's by noon-1 o'clock on Friday the 4th, with this bugger in hand and my Sony T-Port via Sony DVP-NS57P and Illuminati D-60. Will use Steve's IC and Speaker Cable.

Some might scuff at this T-Port. However, I played with quite a few to settle on this one (and have a few new ones in boxes on the shelf)...and I would put this model up against any Oppo being used as a T-Port (for example).

I know their are owner's here of the Wyred for Sound Dac2. The Dac2 will make it my way if the NAD M51 leaves my way.... .

The Weiss DAC202 looks nice too......but up there $.

Nope, beowulf, this all about the redbook in its basic form as I posted. Steve has a better mouse trap than the M50-52 for hi - rez that we can pump into the M51..... .

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 16:29:14 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 09/13/13 at 16:12:26

Cool. That sort of procuct and the Zenfest are both not my sort of thing. But you'll have fun!

I would think if you didn't like the PS Audio Duo you wouldn't be impressed with the Wyred4Sound, all the reviews of that say that it's similar to the PS Audio.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 09/13/13 at 16:20:03

Lon, that is why I went with the NAD before the Wyred Dac2.

Did you get in to streaming and/or hi-rez files Lon?

This would be right up your alley (inserting CD on platter) from T-port to DAC like you currently do with the PWTransport & PWDAC right?

I should bring this simple Sony T-port of mine and my AA front end and blow peoples minds that have only been into outboard DACS for the last 8 to 10 years (redbook from CD Transport not hi-rez).

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 16:40:37 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 09/13/13 at 16:35:15

I don't stream and I do have hi res material though I don't really listen to it that often.DVD-A and SACD and a few hi-res wav files burned to cdr and played in the Duo (I can't burn my own so I don't have many). And lots of vinyl listening when I can (the original hi res). No interest in streaming, digital files, etc. None. I have thousands of discs and I like them. Don't do portable or computer audio.

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 16:37:56 by Lon »  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 09/13/13 at 16:48:48

I'm with you brother. I am not saying I will never get into it. However, I to, like you, am not interested in Ripping all of my 900 CD's to a Hard drive....etc...etc.....for the rest of the chain.

Yes, I can appreciate it.

But, like old Sam Telig has so eloquently stated....even SACD came to the party a day late and a dollar short for those of us whom have large CD collections and HAVE FOUND A GOOD TPORT - DAC COMBO TO MAKE MUSIC .......already. (....but, the M51 intrigues me for my pursuit of the better mouse trap for my ear brain connection when/if my AA gear dies).....

I suppose I'll be forced into it when the CD physical media no longer exists for purchase. The Chesky brother's stuff/site looks cool too where a lot of what I like is turning up.

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 16:58:34 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 09/13/13 at 16:56:14

Yeah. I have more than 15 times as many cds that would or could be ripped. It's just not worth my time. I could enjoy more hi-res tracks on DVD-R via the Transport but I don't have the time to make these nor the equipment and I obviously don't want them enough. Unlike you I love the PS Audio Duo (especially through the CSP2+ which just complements its strengths) and am just set with one in each system, a Torii Mk III in each system, soon a CSP2+ in both systems, great Blu-ray players and SACD players in both systems, and soon (well, who knows, they're ordered and paid for) HR-1s in both systems (can't wait to try my ERRs in my Dad's living room). I'm just going to be playing around with wire and isolation stuff now. Ah, feels so good.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 09/13/13 at 17:06:35

Lon, I should have given the PS Audio more time (and I duly take note of your mention through the CSP2+). I am very pleased with Music Direct and their service.  It was excellent.  I might have those back in. Not kidding, as I continue my quest....because my AA stuff could die.

I look forward to having fun at the FEST...but also seriously listening to Steve, his new products and learning something.... .

The HR 1's are getting serious attention from me. Have a great weekend Lon and I hope you enjoy the Ohio Fall weather coming up....even though you must miss Austin a bit.    -Stone

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 17:07:59 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 09/13/13 at 17:37:59

I miss Austin a TON, mainly because the love of my life is still there and can't be here (she's taking care of her Mom and has an incredibly important job she won't leave).

Looking forward to fall. . . maybe not winter. . .here in Ohio. Wish I could get out in it more!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 09/13/13 at 20:25:26

I also wanted to mention we bring our own biases to the Table.

I think this is not a bad thing. For instance, I had over 80 hours on the PWT/PWD combo and used both the HDMI and D-60 Coax. However, I could not get the extension in the Treble that I love to exploit with the SE84CS with my Sveltlana original SV83 Tubes (simply the best tubes IMHO-in the SE84CS). My Audio Alchemy gear can get that extension in 20 bit dither. So, I probably won't have the Combo back in.

Furthermore, my biases, of what I have come to find, is best for my ear brain connection are:
-I went through quite a few Transport Trials and found this cheap DVD Player I listed above, bested a Marantz that could not even output the bits and lock to my DTI Pro 32 for example.
-If you take the Illuminati D-60 Coax Digital Cable out...music magic is gone.
-If you take the Cryo treated i2s Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver out of the chain... music magic is gone.
http://www.revelationaudiolabs.com/cables-digital/index.htm#i2s
-The DTI Pro 32 & DAC 3.0 work together....separate them...music magic is gone.
-Take the Kimber Select 1030 IC out and replace with the very good Kimber KCAG, Kimber Hero or AudioQuest Diamondback....music magic is gone with my SE84CS.
-Take the 3033 Speaker Cable out of the chain....music magic is gone.

-Bring the  Parker Audio High efficiency speakers in the Listening Room...these 95db SPL at 1 watt/1 meter can't handle the resolution of my front end in 20bit dither through the SE84CS with my Kimber Select Reference Cables. Period.

So, the moral of the story is...we like what we like and we know it when we hear it....if it is involving for our ear brain connection.

Lon, I hope you see your Gal soon.  -Stone

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 20:37:12 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 09/13/13 at 21:05:16

Oh definitely we like what we like and all our rooms are different. For instance if you couldn't get the treble extension out of the PS Audio DAC Mk II. . .  I don't know what to say because I wouldn't enjoy it at all if what it has you find that lacking. I cannot handle a lot of treble, just enough, and the PS Audio DAC (and any front end I've had) is always tempered with the Toriis' treble cut switch. As this switch seems to have more limited range in the Mk IV, and Steve says that amp is more aggressive, that convinces me I should stick with my Mk III.

Going to be a long time til I see my gal again Stone, maybe not til next year. Thank goodness I got to spend a few days with her in August.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 09/14/13 at 03:51:44

Stone, I listened to the Nad, the Weiss and the WFS Dac 2. I settled on the little known boutique made Anedio D2. It is simply many layers more transparent then all the others. Which is quite a statement. In order of preference based on transparency and resolution it would be:

1. Anedio D2
2. Weiss
3. Nad
4. WFS

The WFS was too dark, thick and veiled. But if a system or room is bright it might be just the thing. I liked the Weiss and Nad allot, but the Anedio D2 is just simply divine and the digital volume control is fantastic. Part digital and analog. Remote control, and sounds best with NO preamp. I tried some preamps just to see if i was missing anything and everything just took away from the transparency and resolution. Its great with Redbook and high res. High res is so smooth and yet so detailed, I keep shaking my head in disbelief. Imaging is unreal which comes from the great care taken with channel separation.

To my ears USB and Coax (I am using the pure silver Oyaide DB-510 BNC Coax) both sound equally good. I sold my Audiophileo with Pure Power as it added nothing to the Anedio D2. It is also a killer head phone amp to boot. Mine is fed with a Bryston BDP-1 and I just could not be happier.

« Last Edit: 09/14/13 at 03:58:44 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 09/14/13 at 06:50:02

^ Interesting. I had decided on the Anedio D2 as my ideal DAC following a lot of reading, analysing and the occasional PM with owners. Just as I made this decision, Anedio decided not to deal internationally any more Sad

The NAD is one I was pretty interested in, alongside Lynx HiLo, Schiit Audio's yet-to-be released Yggdrasil, and PWD2 among others.

Never mind. Have been evaluating the new BMC PureDAC the last few days. So far, remarkable.

Looking forward to hearing how the NAD works out...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print