09/20/14 at 01:05:06

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hi..its me (Read 3331 times)
Douger
Verified Member

Re: Hi..its me
Reply #30 - 10/21/13 at 04:20:09

I just discovered this thread. If you have not sold your amp yet, since you're in the UK are you at all interested in seeing if you can find a good deal on some Tannoy dual concentrics? I am running a Torii MKIII with my Canterbury SE's and it is sublime... I used to run 12" Monitor Golds with 6wpc monoblocks and it was also very good.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #31 - 10/21/13 at 23:56:19

Shalamatwazzy...

see if you can find anybody in your vicinity who has built a DIY speaker using Audio Nirvana drivers from www.commonsenseaudio.com... which is located here in the states, but he sells worldwide.

I had a Decware SE34I and I currently have a Torii MK.III.  The SE34I will drive the Audio Nirvana's to high levels. The Torii will blow the windows out of your house with the AN drivers - 97-98 db sensitivity installed in a box... a bit less open-baffle.

The SE34I is definitely a tad smoother, more relaxed type sound than the Torii... that some might prefer depending on their sources, room and speakers... but...  in my 30+ years of chasing the holy grail of audio... I have never heard anything, at anywhere near the price, that "gets it done" like the Audio Nirvana/Torii MK.III synergy.  The bass dampening and treble shunt controls on the Torii III really are the cats meow IMO and allow you to dial in how luscious or clinical you prefer your sound.  I have owned more speakers and components over the years than I care to admit... I've probably suffered enough audio depreciation to retire on... but for the 1st time ever, I have no "itch" to get something else.  In fact I just A/B'd the Torii III to the IV... and I'm keeping my III... and having the Jupiter coupling caps installed in it.

If you've never heard a single full-range, high-efficiency driver type of speaker with no crossover - you owe it to yourself to give some a listen.  But I guarantee you there is true magic going on with the Torii and these types of speakers.  I have tried other amps with my Audio Nirvana's, including tube and silicon - the Torii is special with these types of speakers....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Shalamatwazzy
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 10/22/13 at 20:48:23

I guess your also in the USA mad dog?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 10/22/13 at 21:20:03

Quote:
Maddog said,
Shalamatwazzy...

see if you can find anybody in your vicinity who has built a DIY speaker using Audio Nirvana drivers from www.commonsenseaudio.com... which is located here in the states, but he sells worldwide.

This is a great idea if possible.  You can do it with Omega's as well.  There is a thread over at Audio Karma that chronicles a DIY build using the new Omega 7" Alnico drivers.  Louis supplied him the plans and he did it himself ... although if you know a wood worker or have the skills yourself you could save some $$$.

I would go for the Omega 7F though for tubes (which are more sensitive and less expensive).  The thing about single drivers is since the whole driver needs to cover the spectrum of listening I have found that the rolloffs tend to be much smoother than a conventional multi-driver speaker.  And since there are no crossovers the signal is not split - what comes in as a whole, comes out as a whole.  There's no perfect speaker, but they do a lot of things real nice.

It's a good read if you have w few moments. Cool

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 21:21:33 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #34 - 10/22/13 at 22:27:06

I concur beowulf... with these "types" of drivers.  You don't have to use Audio Nirvana... that's just what I choose, because the owner/distributor of the brand lives within driving distance of me, so I went to his place and spent a day listening to them - so I knew what I was getting before I laid down my $$$.  Not to mention, these are the only brand of these types of drivers larger than 8" to my knowledge.  Forget all the objectivist blather about how a full-range driver larger than 7-8" can't sound good - let your ears be the judge - I did and I won't be looking back anytime in the foreseeable future.  I have the 12 inch cast frame Alnico model in a 5.6 cu/ft box - ported and tuned to roughly 50hz... when driven by the Torii.. I have not heard better.  They don't do sub-bass... and can't, but they do everything else as good as I've heard.  Electrostatic speed and detail, weight and presence, brushes on cymbals that just float out into the room... they have defied all my 30+ years of what I thought I had come to "know" about how a given speaker design will sound.  I have 6 different types of speakers "on hand"... including horns and stats, along with conventional dynamic driver speakers with xovers... the nirvana's driven by the Torii are the best - no comparison...
They have exceeded my expectations exponentially when driven by a Decware Torii...which as noted by Steve delivers more current into rising impedances which is what makes it such a match for these types of drivers.. at least the audio nirvana's, but I think all these full-range, high-efficiency types of driver have similar impedance curves... one would have to check.
another forum member, Randy in Caintuck.. has experimented extensively with various brands of full-rangers... he has touted great success with the ridiculously cheap full-range "Betsy" driver from Wild Burro Audio.  They are so affordable, a guy might just have to buy a pair to play with.  Randy in Caintuck has a current project on his website using the Betsy.... check it out.  For those of you that attended Decfest... you may have met Randy.... super dude with a vast amount of experience in speaker/driver building and experimentation.... he has been a great source of knowledge for me.. and many others I suspect.

to sum up, if you're on the search for perhaps an "end all"... like the Decware ad on the Torii says... "the last amp you'll ever want" - when paired with a crossoverless full-range, high efficiency speaker, like Omega's, Decware, Cain & Cain, Hornshoppe, etc...  it just may very well be true I'm coming to experience.....  you should absolutely try to hear this combo if you can... before you lay down your $$$ for anything else.  Of course nothing can be the "end all" for everybody, but every single person who has heard mine so far, has been stunned ... from casual listeners to hardcore philes with $100k + systems.  Game changing revelation... and a lot of high $$ gear showing up on agon at severely depreciated prices.  Money talks... bs walks... put your $$ where your mouth is, blah, blah, blah - all applies here.

maddog07 signing off....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 10/24/13 at 00:47:46

Those Audio Nirvana's look pretty sweet, they have some very big drivers!  I would love to hear some.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print