Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/21/14 at 05:09:24

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Speakers with good bass for $4-6K (Read 2022 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Speakers with good bass for $4-6K
Reply #15 - 08/28/13 at 23:42:09

Quote:
maddog07 said,
Nobody would believe this (including myself), until they heard it - but my single, full-range, high-efficiency drivers(12" Audio Nirvana Super Cast Frame Alnico's ) in a 5.6 cu/ft ported box have bass "weight" like no other speaker I've ever owned or heard.  It really has to be heard to be believed.  HOWEVER... this is only true when they are driven by my Torii MK.III.

I'm thinking this for the single driver Omega's as well for some reason.  I have a Rega Brio-R @ 50 watts and also the Taboo MK II @ 6 watts ... with the Taboo the bass is weightier (is that a word) than the Brio-R.  I still think the Brio-R is a great little integrated (with that PRAT thing Lon always talks about Smiley) and will use it once in a while, but it's out-classed by the Taboo.

IP Logged
JohnWatson
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 08/30/13 at 14:46:41

I just tried Klipschorns with a small SS amp and a Decware CSP pre and they are the best speakers by far, I have owned. They have great bass, detail and soundstage and I'm playing them in a 14' by 16' room..just keep the volume down and try not to break the windows. My first thought was "so this is what bass sounds like". They have to be in a corner of course, but man...these are the last speakers I will ever own, can't wait to get an SET or SEP on them and see what the changes are.

IP Logged
dalerf
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 08/30/13 at 16:14:45

Bitten the bullet, ordered the Klipsch RF7-II, should arrive in a week, I'd better be happy because these will be my speakers for a long time (haven't told wife yet) got good price I can't go past, now the wait for the Torii IV to be built and arrive. My only thought now is I was just going to use Tori IV and no preamp, what are people thoughts on using CSP2 or new CSP3 preamp, does the Torii need it?
Having fun watching the peanuts at work trying to get decent sound out of their Chinese valve amps. One just got a 70watt (35 per channel) inefficient amp that won't run his Wharfdale speakers, no volume above normal level, not enough gain, so he has had to get a preamp Smiley
Of course it has already blown a KT88, so it has cost him another set (4) valves. IT person at work has had to adjust something (I'm not tech savy) because it was running hot hot hot and he would have been buying valves every 12 months Sad The tech said the Chinese amps cut corners to save costs, take out bits and pieces were other amps use two, they use only one to save $1.60 here and there, so in the end they cost more just trying to get good sound when they could have had a Decware!!!!
Considering I have never heard a Decware Torii I'm confident it will be a much better amp even at 50watts, especially the IV with more gain.
Can't wait to compare.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 08/30/13 at 17:33:17

I go through a quartet of output tubes a year on my Toriis but I use them a LOT as I'm retired and they are the nerve center of my audio and video listening and watching.

As I said in a PM to you, the main reason I am using preamps with my Toriis is that I have an audio-visual system and need more than the two inputs! That said I do prefer the sound with the CSP2+ preamps I have but . . . in part I'm just so used to that sound, and it's component synergy based. The ZP3 doesn't need it. My digital sources seem to benefit from it most. So. . . you're fine without one if you only have two sources.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #19 - 08/30/13 at 17:53:02

I can't speak exactly to the use of the CSP2+ or CSP3 with the Torii, as I do not have a CSP.  At last years Zenfest, we heard the Torii with and without a preamp.  I think it will be something you'll have to try in your system and hear for yourself in order to be able to determine your preference.

I have used my Torii MK.III both ways - no preamp, driven directly by my Wyred4Sound DAC-2, which has volume, balance, mute, phase, input select, etc. all available via remote.  This was a synergistic combo for sure.  But... I have some analog sources also, so some kind of a preamp is a must for me.  I have an over-achieving, not well known SS preamp I have owned for several years that I have been quite content with in the other systems I've had.  I put this preamp in front of the Torii, and "discovered" just a smidge of "grunge" that had never been revealed to me before with other amps I used it with.  So be prepared for the "transparency" of the Torii <-- fluid resolution is the best verbiage I can come up with to describe the Torii.

So... this put me on another quest for a new preamp.  Listening to music, for me, is practically a "therapy".  It's how I unwind from the insanity that is large corporate America these days.  So when I sit down to listen to music, its to relax.  I don't want to be jumping up every cut to adjust volume - remote control "Is a Must".  If Steve would make a remote controlled CSP, I'd be "on it" like white on rice.  So.. finding a remote controlled preamp, that doesn't muck up anything can be a bit of a chore.  And it would be "icing" if said preamp, also brought some additional sonic desirables to the table.  Steve will tell you that putting a CSP (or any good preamp) in front of the Torii can be "a good thing".  It just depends on several factors.  But a preamp can sometimes add "weight", flesh-on-the-bones, dynamics, bloom, etc.  And a good one, won't sacrifice any of the "rez" of your amp or muck anything up.

Long story short, I think I found a preamp that meets all the criteria outlined above that are important to me.  I've only had it a few weeks and have been doing some dialing-in of its sound with some tube rolling, but it's showing great promise already.  It definitely doesn't have any grunge, meets all my functional requirements, and even brings some additional goodness to my sonic landscape.  This last point is still a moving target at this point with the auditioning of different tubes.  Bad news is; this preamp costs more than my Torii !!!!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print