Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
New Torii MKIV (Read 39905 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

New Torii MKIV
08/21/13 at 19:18:48

OK... that cat's out of the bag, Steve has announced there is an impending debut of the Torii MK-IV.  So who knows anything about it?  
Anything.. its cosmetics, what's changing, etc.

Inquiring minds want/need to know.!!!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Re: New Torii MKIV
Reply #1 - 08/21/13 at 19:40:31

Just saw that email too.  It says there will be a sound improvement over the III,  hopefully most of the improvement will be due to the Jupitor caps which i paid extra for on my III.  If that's the case, then I'm set.  (tho something tells me there will be more to it than that.)

Greg

Torii MkIII, DM947 speakers, Oppo 105
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 08/21/13 at 20:02:58

yeah... me too, I suspect there are more "changes" than the caps.

my Torii was built before Jupiter caps became a part of the equation...
I was hoping the next gen Torii... would have "meters" on the front, controls on the front, and the connections on the back - too.

I sent Steve a note... begging for clarification and details... and that I started a thread on the subject.  Maybe he will throw us a bone here..

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/21/13 at 21:25:40

I have been on the build waiting list for a couple of months now for the Torii MKIII and just noticed that my order was changed to the MK IV as was all the others on the list.

I did have a conversation with Steve early on and he indicated that I would be getting the upcoming changes.  The only two he spoke of at that time were the Jupiter caps as standard and changing over to the black top plate.  I was pretty happy about both of those so I didn't ask if there was going to be anything else.  Hopefully Steve will chime in.  

I also haven't seen any change in status for my order when many after me are almost to shipping on other products.  I know the other products may be less involved to build but the Torii orders seem to have been stalled somewhat.  Maybe that means more changes are in line?   Is this part of the "fun"?  

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 08/21/13 at 23:12:41

Steve responded to my inquiry about the MK.IV just a bit ago.  He said, "there will be more info and pics in about a week if not sooner"... so stay tuned.

also he said the MK.III will be upgradeable to MK.IV... so us current Torii owners won't get left holding the bag on our obsolete amps!   Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 08/21/13 at 23:55:02

Good news about the "upgradable" (though I bet my earliest one is not upgradable). Bot my Toriis have the Jupiters, so I may not need any upgrading.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/22/13 at 00:20:23

FYI For anyone else looking at this thread that is not on the Decware mailing list,  Steve said the new Mark IV  will cost several hundred $$ more than the III,  but if you get your order in before he updates the site in a week or two, he'll let you have the IV for the  current MKIII's price. Pretty cool.

Greg

« Last Edit: 08/22/13 at 00:21:52 by Greg12 »  

Torii MkIII, DM947 speakers, Oppo 105
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 08/22/13 at 22:20:15

Here is the Torii MK III

Here is a Torii MK IV...

Here is what I have done in the Torii MK IV.  One side as pictured is completed and the amp is waiting for me to finish the other side.  As you can see I've improved the layout a bit.  Here are the changes made so far:

• I have deleted the bias switch for the output tubes.  It never did much in the MK III and is not needed in the MK IV.
  • I have increased the gain of the input stage by about 20% giving the amp more slam and tighter control
  • I have eliminated the adjustable bass dampening control, no longer need it with problematic speakers due to the next change.
  • In place of the adjustable bass dampening control I have created a re-constructive feedback circuit that improves clarity, detail, and definition at all frequencies.  It is on a switch so that you can use it or not use it.  (everyone will likely use it)   This mod replaces the bypass caps that were on the cathode of the input stage.  Those caps eliminated the naturally occurring local negative feedback in that tube.  Instead of a bypass cap, I use the output transformer in series with a couple networks that float the output stage above ground slightly.  The result is less phase angle distortion resulting in better transparency.  This was an accident, that turned into another discovery.  It's one of the cooler things that's happened in the past couple years and it will be fun to here peoples impressions of it as they get their MK III's updated.
  • The input switch is now centered behind the volume control.  
  • The power switches are now rocker switches vs. toggle switches.
  • The chassis can now accommodate either a single volume control (as shown) or a volume control for each channel.
  • The chassis is now steel with our new textured black powder coat finish and weighs 6 pounds more than the aluminum it replaced.
  • Beeswax caps are now standard.
  • The treble control has been redone and now makes only a very slight adjustment to the treble above 5K, whereas before it was capable of cutting all the way down to 500 Hz.  The result is a bit more air.

And that's about it.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 08/22/13 at 22:36:54

Wow, some interesting changes and some great innovations. It's going to be a killer diller and a seller!

Congrats.

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/22/13 at 22:39:44

Thanks for the update Steve! Also new power supply configuration???

« Last Edit: 08/22/13 at 22:40:39 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/22/13 at 23:52:11

What is the price?

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 08/22/13 at 23:59:23

iF you order before the website is updated (soon I would suppose) it's the same price as the current III. Steve says he will honor that price until he launches the new web page. With the new page will be a new price. . .a larger price.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 08/23/13 at 01:17:59

Grrr, I'd have to sell several of my other "toys" to fund this, and I don't think I want to dent one hobby to fund this hobby. Time to start saving!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/23/13 at 05:44:50

I'm also very glad to hear that the Mk III is upgradeable to the new MkIV.

As soon as Steve says it's ok, I'm sending my MK III in for the upgrade.
I wonder if the aluminum chassis will be swapped for the new steel one, as part of the package?

Not looking forward to hearing what the upgrade costs, but I'm sure it's worth it:)

Mike

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #14 - 08/23/13 at 05:51:31

Dear fellow Decware fans,

Always had my eye on the MK 3.
This is the "push" I needed.

I'm finally placing an order for the TORII MK 4! Smiley

Dear Steve,

If you are reading this, do I have to order the Beeswax caps as an extra $$$ option for the MK 3?

Or will the upgrade be done automatically, i.e. for free?

Likewise for the stepped Attenuator option?

Do I have to check every upgrade option on the MK3 order page?

« Last Edit: 08/23/13 at 06:02:01 by Lord Soth »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print