Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
New Torii MKIV (Read 37639 times)
neilwill
Verified Member

Re: New Torii MKIV
Reply #75 - 09/13/13 at 02:31:36

Any word on the cost of the upgrade? † Smiley

Torii MkIII w/jupiter caps, Tonian Classic 8.1 S speakers (98db, 16 ohm), BMC Audio BDCD 1.1 cd player, Synergistic Research Powercell 6 SE, Synergistic Research Tesla Accelerator IC, Synergistic Research T2 SE & T3 SE power cords, Auditorium 23 speaker cable
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 09/13/13 at 02:32:37

It looks sublime! †

Now that you've officially confirmed the optional use of the KT66's, I'm going to order a quad for my Mk III to Mk IV upgraded unit.

I wonder how the cryoed Genalex KT66's would work in this new amp?

Mike in Seattle area

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 02:35:08 by tgarden »  
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 09/13/13 at 02:48:04

What about the Hazen modification? I don't think it would work with a KT66.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 09/13/13 at 02:57:53

I bet I could heat my house with that thing! Nevertheless I want one BAD! But I'd have to sell a child to come up with three grand right now Wink

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 09/13/13 at 03:20:56

and i thought i was content...beautiful work Steve.

JD

IP Logged
ryandigital
Verified Member

Reply #80 - 09/13/13 at 03:33:29

Whats the point of using KT66 instead of EL34?
would it get more power out of the amp?

IP Logged
Dom

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #81 - 09/13/13 at 04:57:53

Steve,

With upgrading the to the KT66 tube, I am assuming that you lose the Hazen grid mod?  How would you compare the sound of the EL34 vs. the KT66 in the new Torii?

Since this will be my first Decware amp, I have no real reference point and would love to get your input.  While I will probably swap out and try the KT66 tubes at some point, your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 09/13/13 at 06:00:26

My MkIII is sounding better than ever, and this is part of the problem. If it ever went down for repairs, I would be hurting since I listen a lot every day and can't listen to my old amp after Decware.

I am afraid I fit fully into the Decware description: "therapy for audiophiles." So I got on the MkIV list the other day. After the Torii power through my HR-1s, the Rachel is just not enough for me with demanding music. It sounds amazing, but for my music collection and preferences needs more efficient speakers. After talking with Steve, the MkIV seemed the only logical conclusion for me for my second amp. Glad to have a look at the beauty! Thanks Steve. One Torii will go with my 944s and one with the HR-1s...How lucky am I!

I will leave it to Steve to tell us about the amp sound with the EL34s and KT66s, but for a little taste of the option....

late last week Steve said the MKIV sounds great with the KT66, hazen grid aside, and compared to the EL34s (also sounding great) each creates a signature of notably different character but both very good....both up to Steve's careful listening standards is what it sounded like to me. I did catch the "recommended highly" in reference to the hand picked Tungsol KT66s in Steve's post though! Sounds pretty cool to me!!!

I am really excited!

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 06:08:42 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 09/13/13 at 06:07:13

Will, †I'm glad to hear you got on the MK IV list. †I'm uncertain what your musical listening preferences are, but I'm sure this will end up being an incredible "all around' amp for you.  And...two tube types to tailor the sound.

Musical therapy to the max!

Mike

IP Logged
Dom

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #84 - 09/13/13 at 06:19:36

Needless to say I am super excited myself with buying a new Torii. †I added the stepped attentuator, but something is telling me that I will be in line for the KT66 tubes...esp. with that blue luminous glow. †

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 06:22:11 by Dom »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 09/13/13 at 06:51:42

Yes the luminous glow appeals to me too Dom! And I have loads of EL34s. Can't wait.

Thanks Mike. "Therapy to the max." Decware has made my life a lot better. Having played mostly acoustic instruments for many years, I always enjoyed decent audio gear, but until Decware it never fully "caught" me. With this stuff (and equally good compatible stuff) ....the sound is so natural and real for me that even though my body won't let me play anymore, listening at this level is a really good creative alternative to playing.

Mostly I listen to old school small jazz groups from old players...the usual suspects, with a huge comfort factor lately in Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan, and some later jazz players, like Archie Schepp (at least his chill stuff) and Patricia Barber....specific "world music" players like Ayub Ogata, Susanna Baca, Virginia Rodregues, Marta Gomez, Zap Mama...several Bosa Nova old and new...Afro-cuban, still love some of the more heart felt Irish traditional....many of the less dense and mantra-like ECM musicians like Anouar Brahem...simpler classical music, mostly baroque and often solo or maybe viol de gamba and voices...simple choral music, like Trio Mediaeval...and I still love to hear Dylan, Young, Cohen and the like...also the occasional Morphine... some more electronic like Massive Attack, Gotan project, Suba, some Bugge Wesseltoft and EST....and on and on....lots of different stuff.

Once the bass material gets big and deep, and the big compressed dynamics kick in, there is nothing like a little power with the HR-1s! Toriis are so good!

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 07:07:04 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #86 - 09/13/13 at 16:38:35

Does anyone know if the wait time to upgrade our MKIII is the same as buying the new model? I am tempted to sell my MKIII and use those funds toward the MKIV but the thought of being without an amp for months is scary! I guess that will also depend on the cost to upgrade. †

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 16:39:22 by RoyMercer »  

Velodyne SMS-1, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Decware Torii MK3, Dynaco MK3 Mono, Outlaw 7500, Modwright Oppo 95 & 105, Decware HDT's, Klipsch RC64 II, RS62 II's, QSC RMX 4050, 2 Danley Sound Labs DTS-10ís, P5 power plant, Powervar ABC3030, ABCE1440 & 30+GIK traps.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #87 - 09/13/13 at 17:11:54

I'm with RoyMercer... I really, really, don't want to put my MK.3 up for sale and get in the queue for a totally new MK.4 and be without a Torii for potentially "months" - disaster! Embarrassed

Steve & Co. don't keep us existing Torii MK.3 owners waiting - or leave us out in the cold!!
How do we get "in the queue" for the upgrade? and what do you think the turn around time will be?
Maybe we can flush more details out of you at Zenfest coming up, but do you have anything you can share with us now?

Can the Torii MK.4 use EL34 "Or" KT66's interchangeably?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #88 - 09/13/13 at 17:35:56

I'd suggest emailing Sarah about the upgrade and the logistics. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 09/13/13 at 17:45:55

maddog said: Quote:
Can the Torii MK.4 use EL34 "Or" KT66's interchangeably?

This is what I understand to be the case. Two amps for one! From Steve's post with pic: "These hand picked Tungsol KT66's are a $100 upgrade over the stock EL34's."

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 17:46:56 by will »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print