Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print
New Torii MKIV (Read 37435 times)
Dom

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: New Torii MKIV
Reply #60 - 08/30/13 at 20:47:46

Thanks Maddog07 for the insight...it's greatly appreciated. My powered Velodyne sub is a 10" front/12" down firing.  Has nice punch and is perfect for my application. The two missing pieces are a good DAC and efficient speakers..but that  will have to come at a later point.

D

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 09/03/13 at 20:55:47

My Torii Mark III is back at the Decware shop, for the Mark IV upgrade.  

I have zero idea what it's going to cost (keeping my fingers crossed on that) or how long it's going to take, but I hope that Steve will be able to implement most of the improvements that the IV version offers.

I was going to send it back for the Jupiter cap upgrade anyway, and I waited and waited...now I'm glad I did wait a little longer.

Really looking forward to hearing what it sounds like!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #62 - 09/03/13 at 22:15:19

Well, if it helps (probably doesn't) I think it cost me about 600 to have my Mk III updated with Jupiter caps. A lot of money. And worth it big time.

« Last Edit: 09/03/13 at 22:15:41 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 09/03/13 at 22:28:35

Hi Lon,  I'm sure it'll be worth it.  Just a question of how much of the upgrades Steve decides to do.

There are definitely some wiring changes, from what I see in the photo.  Some if it involves removing existing stuff, vs. adding new things.

We'll see!

IP Logged
neilwill
Verified Member

Reply #64 - 09/03/13 at 22:39:58

Lon, are sure it was $600?  I had my MkIII upgraded to Jupiters for $300.

Torii MkIII w/jupiter caps, Tonian Classic 8.1 S speakers (98db, 16 ohm), BMC Audio BDCD 1.1 cd player, Synergistic Research Powercell 6 SE, Synergistic Research Tesla Accelerator IC, Synergistic Research T2 SE & T3 SE power cords, Auditorium 23 speaker cable
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #65 - 09/03/13 at 22:43:15

You got a great price. Yes. It was returned for a minor repair as well (and to be honest I'm not sure that was done, as the problem persists, and would have been warranty anyway). Mine is one of the first ones made, so that may have been a factor, I don't know.

Let's put it this way, I'm pretty sure the total was over 600 dollars, I can't remember if it was with shipping or before shipping. Reasonably sure that's the cost. But worth it to me, the amp came back sounding significantly better.

« Last Edit: 09/04/13 at 01:17:25 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 09/04/13 at 01:29:32

Not that this helps out, but the Torii III webpage "currently" shows a price of $250.00 for the Jupiters when ordered at the time of purchase, and $500 for the Vcaps.

I sent mine back to Decware last year, and paid $500 plus shipping, for the Vcap upgrade.  The shipping + box charge adds up, too.  I triple boxed mine last week, and it cost $70 to FedEx it from Seattle to Decware.

Sorry to hear you're still having a problem with your Mark III, Lon.   I hope you can get it sorted out in the near future.

Mike.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 09/10/13 at 18:21:23

It seems that many of the people sitting on the fence have jumped on the order list, if for no other reason than to hedge their bets.  I was notified that my MK IV status is now "Shipping" which is pretty exciting.   Smiley

I looked at the full build list and of the 55 orders on the list, 23 are for the Torii MK IV.  Is this the usual response when Steve releases a new product, especially if ordering now saves some money?

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 09/10/13 at 18:41:45

People do like to take advantage when Decware offers a discount on a new product.  

It sounds like you may have one of the very first MK IV's made.

You should have a lot of fun!

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 09/10/13 at 19:21:19

I'm sure Steve is keeping the first fully complete unit around for himself, but I do believe I'm getting the first one shipped to customers.  Unlike many customers I won't be able to compare it to other models as this will be my first Decware piece.  I have heard the MK III a few times, but it wasn't mine.  I'll probably check in with everyone once I get it unpacked and working just to relay initial impressions.  

Scott in Cincinnati

« Last Edit: 09/10/13 at 19:22:26 by jsm71 »  
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 09/10/13 at 19:37:58

I'm sure you'll like the amp.  Remember to give it at least the 25? hours initial burn-in time (5 hours on, 5 hours off) before you start forming any impressions.  Things will change.

And having owned a Torii I, II, and now a III (currently being upgraded to a IV by Steve),  my experience is that it takes a few hundred hours or more before the Torii's are "mostly" broken in.

Lastly, I would use the stock tubes for a least a couple hundred hours, to get a feel for the amp, if you are planning to try out other tubes later.

Hope this helps!
Mike

« Last Edit: 09/10/13 at 19:39:24 by tgarden »  
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 09/10/13 at 20:11:57

Mike, your advice is consistent with other accounts I have read.  I'm not that much of a tinkerer and tend to trust the designer's choices on stock setups.  I will definately put a few hundred hours on the original tubes for sure.  If I like the sound of something I tend to treat it as not broken and I'm in the camp that believes different isn't always better.  

Controls are another story however.  In some respects I like that a couple of the controls have been taken away from the MK III.  Less to drive me crazy with trying to get right.  I have both bass and tweeter controls on my speakers and even after having them about a year I still toy with the tweeter setting because it is pretty sensitive.  I have already told myself to keep my hands off everything while things are breaking in.  

Scott

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 09/10/13 at 21:35:37

That is exciting Scott!

The new treble knob on the MkIV might be just the thing to fine-tune your speaker treble control. Looking forward to your impressions.

Have fun!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #73 - 09/13/13 at 02:12:32

Wohoo! The first official picture of the TORII MK IV !!!

As you can see it is now compatible and boasting a happy blue glow with the optional KT66 output tubes - recommended highly!  These hand picked Tungsol KT66's are a $100 upgrade over the stock EL34's.

We are now shipping the first ones!  Sadly for us the web site has not been updated so it is still selling the Torii MK IV at the MK III price.  Put another way, we are shipping the MK IV to all MK III orders at no additional charge despite this new amp being more expensive.

A larger image is available here:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/images/TORIIMK41900.jpg

« Last Edit: 09/14/13 at 04:02:22 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
hdrider
Verified Member

Kicking Butt with 2
watts!!!

Reply #74 - 09/13/13 at 02:27:59

What the heck, just ordered the Torii MKIV. I have been lusting after this amp for way too long. Now I have some stuff to sell I think....

« Last Edit: 09/16/13 at 02:33:52 by hdrider »  

SE84CS, ARC SP-11, Krell SBP-32X dac, Oppo BDP-93, Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Soundsmith re-tipped Monster Alpha Genesis MC, Shinnon Red, Sequerra Met-7, T-9,8-W, Fischer 500C, Stax Gamma Electrostatic phones
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print