Send Topic Print
New Torii MKIV (Read 39244 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: New Torii MKIV
Reply #225 - 01/07/14 at 17:47:33

Cool will, look forward to your further impressions of the IV. I am 12 weeks out on receiving it.  First things first, I need to get the ZMA in.  -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #226 - 01/14/14 at 18:12:06

I put this in another Thread...but it belongs here:

I picked up some RCA 0C2's for my Torii IV coming in March. However, they arrived in RCA NOS boxes....but they are Motorola's. All good?
Please enlighten?   -S

Well da, after checking the other three boxes (I bought two pair)...the other three 0C2's are NOS RCA's. Just the one out of the four is a Motorola 0C2 (accidentally) in a RCA NOS 0C2 stamped box.

CHit happens.  The Motorola's & Ratheon NOS 0C2's kick arse too.  So, no worries.

Party on Wayne......party on Garth.    -S  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #227 - 01/16/14 at 05:41:04

Hi Stone,

The NOS Motorola branded 0C2s were made by RCA.
I bought some of those from the Turkish seller NOSTUBEstore.com

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #228 - 01/16/14 at 15:34:26

Cool, thanks LS.    -S

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
JIMJFOX
Verified Member

Reply #229 - 02/13/14 at 21:58:49

Will it drive a MAGNEPAN MMG SUPER set-up? Maggie site stresses a power amp must deliver twice its rated output at 8 ohms nominal into a 4 ohm load.

I'm a relative novice trying to put together a good system-

Turntable- Roksan Radius 5.2 c/w Goldring 2400 moving magnet cartridge in Nima arm.

Is this sensibly matched, is a pre-amp needed, will this do?---
WEE - Dynamic to Electrostatic Headphone Converter  :-/

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #230 - 02/14/14 at 13:28:11

JIMJFOX, I owned Maggie 1.7s awhile back and they really need more power output than the Torii design.  They will no doubt play up to mid listening levels, but you won't be able to get proper support for dynamics or upper listening levels.

I own speakers now that are rated at 87dB and they are a much easier load than my Maggies.  Even still, I have a ZMA on order to get that last layer of output should I need it some day.  Today the Torii gives me good output but I'm in a small room.  

You might ask here if any Torii owner lives near you and would be willing to try their amp with the MMGs.

IP Logged
JIMJFOX
Verified Member

Reply #231 - 02/14/14 at 14:05:24

Many thanks for your knowledge- guess I'll have to look for a solid state amp... pity. UNLESS- high end headphones?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #232 - 02/14/14 at 14:27:45

The Monos would probably do it, and the Mystery amp may. The price jump to the Monos is probably prohibitive. . . the Torii to the Mystery amp is sizablle but not as huge.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
JIMJFOX
Verified Member

Reply #233 - 02/14/14 at 15:00:58

Thanks- I looked at those but as you say the price is more than I can spend...

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #234 - 02/14/14 at 19:52:35

If you are on a budget a number of Maggie owners run Emotiva SS amps with great success.  Try the planar forum on Audio Asylum for more ideas.  Good luck in your search.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #235 - 02/14/14 at 20:16:46

JIMJFOX,

I sent you a PM about an affordable solid-state amp that myself and two other local audio buddies have found to be extraordinarily synergistic with Maggie's.  I own one of them myself and can recommend it for driving late model Martin Logan electrostats as well.  It's not just good value for the $$, it's "good" period and competes at about any price point IMO and experience. 

I am also a Torii owner... and as much as I love my Torii, it is not the amp for Magnepan's. Maggie's simply need more voltage drive to "get it up".  I have used my Torii with my electrostats, and it works/sounds better than one might expect.  But it is not an ideal synergy.  My 98db full-rangers, on the other hand, make music as beautifully as I've ever heard, when driven by the Torii.  Synergy is everything, followed by room acoustics and then personal preference and taste.  There are many paths leading to the ultimate destination of audio nirvana.  There is no "one" anything that will be right for everybody.  But if you are committed to your Maggie's I strongly encourage you to audition the amp I PM'd you about.  They have a no risk policy - costs almost nothing to try....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print