Send Topic Print
New Torii MKIV (Read 36434 times)
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Re: New Torii MKIV
Reply #195 - 10/31/13 at 02:43:53

If you can't see the new Torii MK4 web page, try refreshing your web browser.

This worked for me.

BTW, thanks to Steve again for giving us the early bird discount.
I saved over US$800 in total ($500 price difference + $300 Pelican Case).

The Pelican case is still FOC at the moment so there is still potential savings of US$300 for anyone sitting on the fence right now.

My Torii MK4 finally arrived at my doorstep! Smiley

I'm currently burning in the equipment.
Fresh out of the box, the amp sounds wonderful.
I popped in a complete fresh set of NOS tubes.
Based on my experience, the rectifier and output tubes need a long burn in before any sonic judgements can be made.

Will post  more detailed impressions soon after I hit the 100hr burn in mark.

« Last Edit: 11/01/13 at 11:22:31 by Lord Soth »  
  IP Logged
dalerf
Verified Member

Reply #196 - 11/07/13 at 05:33:25

I'm trying new input tubes Siemens E88, but have also ordered some Mullard E88CC for warmer sound, the Klipsch RF7-ii I'm using are far too bright, the horns overtake the room, I have to calm the top end somehow, maybe use a (yuk) graphic equalizer!!! Will be going back to my Paradigms Monitor 9's if I can't get the Klipsch's to sound better!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #197 - 11/07/13 at 06:06:55

The solution to your dilemma dalerf is aTorii MK.III...!  I have compared them side by side.....! Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
dalerf
Verified Member

Reply #198 - 11/07/13 at 06:25:18

Is the Torii III warmer sounding amp than the Torii IV?

IP Logged
dalerf
Verified Member

Reply #199 - 11/07/13 at 06:26:36

I will get a better idea when I hook up my old speakers Paradigm Monitor 9's I think they will sound a lot better than the Klipsch.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #200 - 11/07/13 at 07:01:10

The III is definitely warmer, more lush than the IV - when tubed with the stock recommended tubes - especially with the 6N1P's in the inputs of the III.  And the treble shunt control on the III can take the shout, brightness, forwardness right out of your sound with a turn of the dials.  This is one of the reasons I would not give up my III.
I don't know if you can use 6N1P's in the IV or not.  It was outfitted with EH6922's at the fest.
I had my III updated with the Jupiter's-just got it back last week.  It only reinforces my decision to stay with the III even more now.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #201 - 11/07/13 at 14:54:55

6NIP's and Genalex Gold Lion KT77's is a lush, rich seductive combo on the Torrii III while losing no transparency, speed and detail. Mid range and vocals even sweater and more pronounced and yet they put out serious heavy bass. The best tube combo I have tried in my Torii. While they don't use the hazen mod, you won't care from the moment you pop them in.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #202 - 11/07/13 at 15:28:54

At 388 hours of break-in time (with daily cooling off periods), my MK IV conversion is easily as warm/lush as it was in it's MK III form.  Additionally, it has  greater detail and air.  

A far more emotionally involving amp than my MK I, II, and III ever were.

One difference between my converted MK IV and most other MK IV's; instead of using 4 Jupiter caps, Steve retained the 4 original VCaps and then added two smaller (in size and value) Jupiters, forming a bypass circuit.  So, I've got 6 coupling caps affecting the sound, instead of 4.

I'm using 10 year old Legacy Audio Sig. III's, resting on Sistrum Stands.

With Tung Sol KT66's in the amp, I'm getting more bass extension than I was with RFT EL34's, pre-conversion.

The treble adjusting controls have a surprisingly big effect on the sonics.  For me, anyway.

I'll post more in the MK III/MK IV conversion thread this weekend (hopefully).

Mike in Seattle area

« Last Edit: 11/07/13 at 17:18:17 by tgarden »  
  IP Logged
ergonomico
Verified Member

Reply #203 - 11/09/13 at 18:10:38

Hello...i am not a decware owner yet so i wanted to ask an opinion about the combination with my thiel cs 1.6 which are rated at 90 db efficiency BUT get low as 3 ohm impedance.

Also for commercial question and shipping to italy i should contact customer service?!?!?

Last but not least...the VCAPS: what difference they make to the sound? Are they actually an upgrade or a matter of soudn taste???

Thanks again and, btw, i wish i could audition this amps because if they sound as they look they must be amazing.

Best regards to everyone
Giorgio

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #204 - 11/09/13 at 22:54:14

Dear Giorgio,

Welcome to Decware! Smiley
I have 3 of their amps now and they are really value for money.

My Torii MK4 was configured for 8 - 16 ohms speakers.
Despite the theoretical impedance mismatch, they sound fantastic with my Alesis Monitor One MK 2 (Passive) speakers with 88db 4 Ohms specs.
I can barely crank up the volume to over the half way mark.

There are some posts here about Torii MK 3 VCaps owners switching over to the beeswax caps. It sounds better.

As for shipping, yes, please contact either Sarah or Devon at Customer Service.

IP Logged
ergonomico
Verified Member

Reply #205 - 11/10/13 at 07:39:23

Thanks a lot soth Smiley Will contact their customer service pretty soon Cheesy

I like the idea of customization. Now i am trying to relize how to implement the pre amp + power amp combo....

The torii works also without a preamp correct??? You know i have always owned integrated and stuck with my electrocompaniet for over ten years now so it would be my first time (and they didnt even buy me a drink  ;D) ...i wonder if you can have balanced inputs in the tori or ask for a balanced pre amp Huh  ::)

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #206 - 11/10/13 at 08:14:24

The Torii MK4 works very well with or without a preamp.

As for balanced inputs, I think the new Decware Mystery Amp has that option.
The Torii MK 4 can't be configured for balanced inputs.

IP Logged
dalerf
Verified Member

Reply #207 - 11/10/13 at 09:19:50

Has anyone tried VR90's or VR150's voltage regulation tubes, the manuals says they will change the sound, but what way do they change it! I've even read that some people are using KT77's  as output tubes, I've just ordered a matched quad of RCA 6L6 black plates, so will be interesting how they sound compared to the current KT66's I'm running.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #208 - 11/10/13 at 21:03:51

This weekend was the first large amount of listening I've done with the MK IV.  I have to say it is more detailed than the MK III without being fatiguing. The bass is much better controlled, which suits itself well to this small listening room. I connected it to my CSP2+ but don't really hear that it is needed.  So I disconnected the preamp. Thus far I am satisfied with the new configuration.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #209 - 11/10/13 at 22:31:48

Quote:
VR90's or VR150's voltage regulation tubes, the manuals says they will change the sound,

This is what happens with the Torii MKIII, and very likely is similar with the MkIV.

Depending on make and vintage, all the tube types, say an OA3 for example, can have a fair bit of variation, particularly in terms of warmth versus open/brighter. But underneath that, generally the OA3 (VR75) will push the power tubes harder...more everything, but what will typically be most apparent is more density/push, and more mid-bass to bass.

As you go up the alphabet, the OB3 (VR-90), OC3 (VR-105), OD3 (VR-150), you will hear progressively less density, push and bass, and more open/spaciousness.

So if the OA3 sounds a little too much, an OB3 will chill down the sound a bit, opening things up some. And a nice OD3 will be the most spacious. 40's Hytrons are a really good sounding OD3...warmish and musical, textured, dynamic, and spacious. It just depends what your room and system is like and the other tubes you are using, but regulators are really good tuning tools if the above is a factor for you.

In My MkIII, in this room, I usually use 50's OB3s...Raytheon, Tungsol, or Marconi ST (coke bottle shape). I think these are all made by the same folks, but they sound a little different...probably due to slightly different vintage and runs. The nice thing about these particular tubes is they are warm and textured, but a bit more chilled out than any of my OA3s, which can sound a little heavy-handed in my system/room depending on the other tubes.

« Last Edit: 11/10/13 at 22:33:03 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print