11/23/14 at 21:15:05

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print
New Torii MKIV (Read 41838 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: New Torii MKIV
Reply #105 - 09/15/13 at 05:09:45

I have two matched quads of NOS Siemens EL34's for my MK III, which is in the Decware shop being transformed into a MK IV.

Looks like I'll be switching to the KT66's:)

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 09/15/13 at 06:10:45

Mike,

I look forward to your impressions of the MkIV transformation. Who knows, those Siemens EL34s might be just the things for your "second" amp!!! Nice tubes, but not a particular fav of mine (I seem to like them all in the right company). So many things make up a system though so who's to know!

Right now in my room the MkIII with cryo'd Mullard EL34 reissues, Amperex orange PQ 6922s, Phillips 5R4YGS, Marconi OB3, and Raytheon OC2 is just blowing my mind...but the secret ingredient is the CSP3 with a 50s GE/RCA 5U4G-ST, Brimar 6BQ7As, and an ERA (Mullard) 6Dj8. My God, now I have 8!!! tube sets to play with.

I am not giving up on the EL34 just yet! But I have not heard the MKIV yet either!

« Last Edit: 09/15/13 at 17:03:33 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Dom

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #107 - 09/15/13 at 06:39:40

Holy Blazing Blue Bottles Batman!! Set me up with the KT66's!!  

While I was going to run the EL34's for a while, I may just have to say screw it and add the KT66's to my order, based on Steve's post and recommendation.

Steve...that sounds like a great out of body experience.  I truly can't wait to get this beast home and enjoy my music all over again.

D

« Last Edit: 09/15/13 at 06:56:05 by Dom »  
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 09/15/13 at 13:45:38

These tests show that that amp still has plenty of flexibility available despite having different controls than the MK III.  That's encouraging.  Steve was doing all this playing with his corner horns, very different speakers than mine.

I wonder if any of those adjustments would be appropriate with my JansZens.  Those I'm sure give the amp a very different look.  Because of lower sensitivity I'll be working to urge the most power from the amp that I can but maximize the sound quality as well.  It looks like those KT66s will be in my future as well.  Exciting experiments await.

IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #109 - 09/15/13 at 18:52:06

Good point, he said that in regard to the amp with his corner horns. In an earlier post he said the Torii IV kicked the crap out of the Torii III while showing a photo of the IV with EL-34's.  I am thinking now why care. If Steve says it's better you know it will be. I wonder if the mod includes a new black chassis or if they will re-use our white ones. After seeing the black I think it looks much better. Plus it won't show dust / dirt as much.

Velodyne SMS-1, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Decware Torii MK3, Dynaco MK3 Mono, Outlaw 7500, Modwright Oppo 95 & 105, Decware HDT's, Klipsch RC64 II, RS62 II's, QSC RMX 4050, 2 Danley Sound Labs DTS-10’s, P5 power plant, Powervar ABC3030, ABCE1440 & 30+GIK traps.
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 09/15/13 at 19:08:28

I'm fairly certain the Mk III to Mk IV upgrade will be reusing the original white aluminum chassis, after my talk with Sarah a few weeks ago.

Mike

« Last Edit: 09/15/13 at 19:09:34 by tgarden »  
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #111 - 09/15/13 at 19:08:41

Quote:
Thanks for the update Steve. I spent approx. $1,500 stocking up on NOS EL-34's. Do you think there is an improvement upgrading the MK3 while still using EL-34's?

I think there is yes, unless you prefer a softer signature, then there would be nothing wrong with keeping the MKIII a MKIII. Beeswax or VAPS are the logical upgrades for a MK III if you want to kick things up a notch without changing what you already have.

Also, bear in mind this listening test was primarily about pushing the amp to define what it's usable power is. At more normal levels, or on regular speakers, EL34's sound wonderful in the MKIV. It's just that I prefer the KT66's slightly softer sound and more even frequency balance when I'm pushing the amp a bit.

Steve

« Last Edit: 09/15/13 at 19:12:28 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 09/15/13 at 19:19:10

Steve,  Thanks for your clarification about the EL34's!

Mike

IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #113 - 09/15/13 at 19:37:23

Ditto... thanks!

Velodyne SMS-1, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Decware Torii MK3, Dynaco MK3 Mono, Outlaw 7500, Modwright Oppo 95 & 105, Decware HDT's, Klipsch RC64 II, RS62 II's, QSC RMX 4050, 2 Danley Sound Labs DTS-10’s, P5 power plant, Powervar ABC3030, ABCE1440 & 30+GIK traps.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

Kicking Butt with 2
watts!!!

Reply #114 - 09/16/13 at 02:50:42

So at what point will be have a complete fact sheet on the Mk IV, I am getting kind of dizzy flipping back and forth through all the postings to ingest all this data. I have flipped back and forth between biting the bullet on a Torii or just staying put with what I have. It's not a crappy system by any means, it's just that when I put the SE84SE and it gets broken in again, it's SO BLOODY MAGICAL within it's little 2 watt window. Now that I have ordered the Torii IV and am faced with selling off my pre-amp, power amp and dac, get the new amp and get it broken in. Need to break out my old preamp for the phono section (must use my new Decware SUT which is GREAT) which will be interesting until I can order the Decware phono pre-amp. Exciting times we live in, heh??? Thank you Steve and Team Decware for all you do!!!!

SE84CS, ARC SP-11, Krell SBP-32X dac, Oppo BDP-93, Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Soundsmith re-tipped Monster Alpha Genesis MC, Shinnon Red, Sequerra Met-7, T-9,8-W, Fischer 500C, Stax Gamma Electrostatic phones
  IP Logged
DG
Verified Member

Reply #115 - 09/16/13 at 03:16:29

Forgive me if I missed posts regarding what appears to be different (silver) chokes on the new MK4.  My MK3 has black chokes that match the black transformer bells.  Just curious what is different about the chokes in the photos and if there are plans to keep all the magnetics black - which I kind of prefer.  Sounds like a lot of us have some decisions to make.  

IP Logged
RoyMercer

Reply #116 - 09/16/13 at 04:41:25

That is a good question. I like the look of the non-painted coils in the back. I would be happy either way but it would be good to know how the unit comes new and what happens when a unit is sent in for upgrade.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #117 - 09/16/13 at 20:09:20

Quote:
That is a good question. I like the look of the non-painted coils in the back. I would be happy either way but it would be good to know how the unit comes new and what happens when a unit is sent in for upgrade.

I 2nd that motion.  what are the differences between getting our 3's upgraded to 4's, versus getting a Torii that was "born" a 4 to start with?
  • Does the white top plate of the 3 get replaced with a black one in the upgrade?  
  • Are any of the transformers/chokes replaced?  
  • Does the upgrade include the new Jupiter coupling caps, or is that optional/extra costs?

give me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

At this point I can't decide whether to upgrade my III or sell it and buy a IV.  Of course... having not heard the IV yet, only makes it that much harder to decide what course of action to take.  In reality, probably shouldn't do anything until 1) either I've heard the IV with my own ears, or 2) some other folks have had a chance to hear the III .vs. the IV and start reporting in.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva UMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Marsh P200b, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, I'm outta room..
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #118 - 09/16/13 at 21:29:35

Steve has stated that the upgrade will include Jupiter caps. (Which is a very worthwhile upgrade for the Mk III--I've had that done and I don't feel inclined for several reasons to upgrade to a Mk IV).

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 09/17/13 at 00:26:21

The white aluminum plate of the 3, does not get replaced with the new black steel plate in the conversion to the Mk IV.

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print