Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/23/14 at 11:27:35

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Suggestions 10' Speaker Cables (Read 11638 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Suggestions 10' Speaker Cables
Reply #75 - 10/06/13 at 09:12:03

Quote:
will said,
Clearday's largest cable, the Double Shotguns appear to use 4 - 24 AWG cable runs per terminal. This is equivalent to 18 gauge. Tempos smallest cable is bigger, a single strand 16 AWG (other than the one they recommend for tweeters in a by-wire cable). So though not recommended by Tempo except for amps below 19 watts, a larger equivalent 16 gauge cable in oversized teflon looks like it would cost about 468 for a 3 meter unterminated pair.... 8 foot terminated Double Shotguns are 450. Don't know about 10 feet, but presumably the Tempo would be a little cheaper.

Hi Will, the way you put it makes sense and I spoke too soon.  I can see the Tempo's are a bit cheaper after all.  It seems that they use a little better wire as well (one 9 more Tongue) and starting off with the higher gauge makes sense.  I read their paper about the "no termination should be used on speaker cables" study so I'm going bare wire for speakers now on.

They also offer the Arthur Loesch Tube Preamp which sounds pretty nice albiet expensive.

« Last Edit: 10/06/13 at 09:15:06 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #76 - 10/06/13 at 11:19:59

I recall having come across an audio article out there with the following conclusions :

1. Bare Termination sounds best - only problem is exposure to elements and greater oxidation in the long run.

2. Spades are 2nd best.

3. Banana plugs are ranked in 3rd place sonically.

I went for the spaded option for my Clearday double shotguns based on the above factors.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #77 - 10/06/13 at 16:57:39

My own tests show that bare wire sounds best

And spades are the more expensive terminals.   Grin

I do agree with what you posted.

« Last Edit: 10/06/13 at 17:50:46 by Lonely Raven »  
WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #78 - 10/06/13 at 17:13:01

After even more breakin I am really enjoying the Mapleshade Double Helix PLUS in my main system. I didn't think I would prefer them this much to the Styx, but I do. The Styx are sounding very good in my Dad's system.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 10/06/13 at 18:35:57

Lon,

Now that they are broken in, can you describe what you like about the Double Helix PLUS compared to your long used Styx.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 10/06/13 at 18:50:21

I ran bare wire connections for years. But then I ended up with several cables I like, and I have a funky setup for changing cables...a cabinet with holes in it for the cables to pass through. I have the cabinet heavily damped in different ways, but still I use herbie's grungbuster material to cut any remaining vibration at the holes.

It is a beautiful old Indonesian teak wardrobe, but between the holes (three per side) and the Torii being tucked in under a shelf, what a pain in the butt to change speaker cables.

Maybe I just don't want to hear it, but by adding good quality bananas and maintaining the contacts well, I am getting good sound and they make cable changes easier.

When I changed the good quality gold plated spades on the Virtue cables to silver bananas, I liked the sound better. It is likely mostly the preference for silver in this case, but still...variables present....

« Last Edit: 10/06/13 at 19:19:26 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #81 - 10/06/13 at 22:00:18

Honestly will, I find that hard to answer. And on top of that I'm not positive that the speaker cable IS fully broken in.

I want to also add that I am doing a very NON-Pierre Sprey thing with this set of cables: I'm not following his advice and keeping each leg as far a part as possible etc.--and I'm even letting a portion of them run along the floor. I know, I could get in trouble! I did try as suggested at first but seemed to get a texture and sound that reminded me a lot of RFI and got a better tonal balance ignoring those instructions. I haven't tried that again, haven't seen a need to.

The thing I can most closely relate the difference to is the difference between the stock Torii caps and the Jupiter caps in the Torii: Things are just more cohesive, "together," a tad quicker, but full, no thinning.

« Last Edit: 10/06/13 at 22:01:05 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 10/06/13 at 22:43:09

If people do go with naked wires ... what (if any) product can they use to clean the bare wires and how often should this be done?  I live in the San Diego area which has pretty dry, desert type atmosphere if that makes a difference.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 10/06/13 at 23:56:37

With my copper wire terminated Grover's (multiple braids of silver/copper/aluminum ribbons for the cable itself),  I polish the copper ends with 0000 steel wool once a year, and then coat with Caig Progold.  I usually retreat with Progold, every six moths or so.

With my silver wire terminated Grover set, I do very little, as he once told me that silver oxide conducts electricity nearly as well as "clean" silver. That being said, I probably put some Progold on them once a year.

Grover used to make his speaker cables with silver terminations, but there were always a few people shipping them back to be resoldered after busting the ends off.  Never had a problem with the three silver pairs I've owned.   He changed to a heavy copper termination last year.

Is there a difference sonically between the otherwise identical, copper and silver terminated pairs I own? Not sure, maybe I'll swap them someday and find out.

In terms of the environment up here influencing the rate of corrosion...
Yeah, we  have rainy fall/winters up here.  However, the summers are often very dry.  

The weather this last summer, was wonderful.  You had to be here.  I miss it already.

Mike in Seattle area

« Last Edit: 10/07/13 at 01:20:09 by tgarden »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 10/07/13 at 05:24:17

Like for tube pins or sockets, I have cleaned wire ends with deoxit cleaning solution. 99% alcohol would likely work quite well too. Especially for solid wire, either would likely work really well wiping it off with just a cloth. Like Tgarden, on stranded wire, I have used very fine steel wool, but after deoxit cleaning solution.

Finally, for stranded cable, I have mimicked what it looks like Decware did on my Styx, and used silver solder on the ends of stranded cable to solidify and seal. Makes it easy to clean too.

I also really like Caig ProGold for conditioning. I think I recall its purpose to be to fill microscopic pits in the metal along with providing a very thin conductive coating. So it smoothes and increases the contact area. I have found though that too much, too long can make the sound worse. So I put it on the cleaned connection very thin and wipe it off with a clean cotton cloth pretty much right away.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 10/07/13 at 06:10:23

Thanks for the update Lon.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 10/11/13 at 01:40:59

@ will and tgarden ...

Thanks for the tips on cleaning them, I will definitely try them out. Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #87 - 10/11/13 at 03:02:18

Beowulf

Coming your way!

I capped the ends of the wire in silver solder to keep them from splaying, but left the silver plating untouched (equals bare wire).

I hope you like it.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 10/11/13 at 04:49:37

WOW!  Sexy is the word for the Lonely Raven Silver Reference Cables Cool

I can't wait to hear them!  THANKS AGAIN!!!

« Last Edit: 10/12/13 at 00:59:40 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #89 - 10/29/13 at 14:15:32

Well, I finally did what Mapleshade recommends (as much as is possible in my set up) and separated the legs of the Double Helix Plus as much as possible and lifted it all off the carpet.

Now that the cables are really burned in there's a significant difference, they've become even more "invisible" or "not there." Very very happy with these cables. I was fearing they may be thin and edgy but they're not at all. Seem very fast but full.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print